jg121783

Experiences with cold weather coming from the Philippines

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi I came here in 2012 during the fall season, we live in Colorado and I was excited and did not really know what "cold" truly means until I cam here. I was literally wearing a jacket when the weather was 60 to 70 degrees lol. My husband, fiance back then bought me warm clothes. And a nice and really warm north face jacket and I am very satisfied withit. It really keeps you warm. My first winter I was not driving and not working for 5 mos until I got my EAD. So I used to walk to king soopers when it was snowing oUtside. Just couple blocks away. We always drive a lot too so I really adapt to the weather quickly. After a year being here my husband took me to the mountain and we went skiing. I loved it but it surely cold up there. My daughter who is 8 y/o came here on Winter. She likes the snow more than I do. School make them go out for recess even its 20 something degree outside. Im sure your fiance/wife will get used to it. I am not sure how cold it gets in the state you live in but we have experienced below zero here since I came here and just recently had a snow storm and had to drive in a blizzard. Not fun though.

I am now in the Philippines and about to get married in a few days. I am just now getting used to the heat coming from a cold climate. It was in the 20s-30s when I left and it is in the 80s here. I got to Hong Kong for my connecting flight and it was a little cold there so I had a jacket on when I got off the plane in Manila. That was a bad idea because as soon as I got off the plane I got hit by a heat wave. I had the AC set to high in the hotel room and my fiancee was complaining she was cold. I told her she doesn't know what cold is lol. Even when we went outside and there was a breeze she said she was cold while I was sweating. It's going to be interesting bringing her to the US.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Got a heat pump... definitely not cold there... :lol: Had one with our house in AZ

Our house is full of big window glasses….. it get cold inside the house. Of course, the perspective of "cold" here in NW is different in AZ because it's mostly dry there. I guess it falls on what we are use to huh? Funny when I visisted CA, it's only 60F and for them that was cold already and I'm wearing shorts and tank top.. hahahaha… they think i'm crazy :D

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

I am now in the Philippines and about to get married in a few days. I am just now getting used to the heat coming from a cold climate. It was in the 20s-30s when I left and it is in the 80s here. I got to Hong Kong for my connecting flight and it was a little cold there so I had a jacket on when I got off the plane in Manila. That was a bad idea because as soon as I got off the plane I got hit by a heat wave. I had the AC set to high in the hotel room and my fiancee was complaining she was cold. I told her she doesn't know what cold is lol. Even when we went outside and there was a breeze she said she was cold while I was sweating. It's going to be interesting bringing her to the US.

Quick question, you are getting married there in the Philippines? It means you cannot file a K1 visa, and the spousal visa might take longer than K1.

A/C cold is different from what we have here in US, yes it will be difficult for her to get the idea of the temperature difference until she comes here in US.

Enjoy your stay in the Philippines!

Cheers!

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

Quick question, you are getting married there in the Philippines? It means you cannot file a K1 visa, and the spousal visa might take longer than K1.

A/C cold is different from what we have here in US, yes it will be difficult for her to get the idea of the temperature difference until she comes here in US.

Enjoy your stay in the Philippines!

Cheers!

Yes we are getting married in the Philippines in a few days. We will be filing for a CR-1 visa soon after (as soon as we can get the NSO copy of the marriage certificate). Yes I have been told it takes longer than a K-1 visa. I have been told it can be anywhere from 8 months to a year or more. So if it takes about a year she will be arriving in the US right in the middle of the winter lol.

Yes we are getting married in the Philippines in a few days. We will be filing for a CR-1 visa soon after (as soon as we can get the NSO copy of the marriage certificate). Yes I have been told it takes longer than a K-1 visa. I have been told it can be anywhere from 8 months to a year or more. So if it takes about a year she will be arriving in the US right in the middle of the winter lol.

Wow! Congratulations in advance :)

It was August when I came here at NW and it was awesome a little bit warmer. She will be fine, like the rest of us migrated here ')

Cheers!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can tell you this every Filipino I know who comes to the US ends up having their skin practically die on them come winter. It can get real bad. Dry , flaky, scaly, use lots of quality lotion and of course drink lots of water after about the 3rd winter it usually stops happening to them.

Burts Bees, Flannel pajamas and sheets, and A heating pad for the Bed will all be great investments for her comfort.

Every Filipina are cold in the USA, even her friends in Hawaii. Best of Luck!

N400 Timeline

MAILED N400 -AUG 01 2015

CHECK CASHED -AUG 06 2015

RECEIVED NOA IN THE MAIL - AUG-10-2015 (PRIORITY DATE AUG-03-2015)

Appt FOR BIOMETRICS RECEIVED AUG-14-2015 - APPOINTMENT AUG-25-2015

INTERVIEW DATE- NOV -09-2015

OATH CEREMONY NOV-12-2015

I can tell you this every Filipino I know who comes to the US ends up having their skin practically die on them come winter. It can get real bad. Dry , flaky, scaly, use lots of quality lotion and of course drink lots of water after about the 3rd winter it usually stops happening to them.

OMG this. My skin was horrible. I didn't know what was happening and I didn't know how to fix it. It was mostly my face. It took months until my skin started getting used to the air here. All better now.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Yes, it is so true! I had dry skin (irritation) and dry scalp too. I used extra moisturizer for skin and tried different shampoo for my hair. When I'm done with my shower, I make sure I have cold water for my final rinse (cold enough that I can I handle not freezing cold :D ), it really helps. It also depends what kind of water you have. When went to Arizona we don't have water softener in our motorhome , oh boy my hair was stiff hehehe and water marks everywhere… (kitchen sink-bathroom).

Our water is super super harsh here in West Texas. When we went to Phoenix and San Diego for a vacation, my hair was awesome. I bought the same shampoo and conditioner I used there to use back home. Didn't do squat and my hair is now back to being stiff and wiry.

I've given up on watermarks.

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Eight years ago, I moved from the Philippines to northeast PA. It was June so it was like the Philippines minus the humidity. The first time I saw snow (flurries really but I didn't know at that time), I loved it! Now I don't. Although I'm not surprised anymore that it can get really cold, I still don't like it. I only go out when I have to... and to shovel. When the daughter wants to play in the snow, the hubby has to go out with her :) while I stay inside by the windows and take pictures!

My first fall here, I complained it was cold. My husband tried to warn me it can get really cold but I couldn't image how much colder it could get. My only advice to you is to let her experience it in her own way, and get her what she needs. My hubby begged me to let him buy me a coat and I kept telling him I didn't need it. I had my "coat" that I brought from the Philippines. LOL what a big mistake! The first time it got really cold, I sheepishly asked him to take me to the mall so I could buy a coat... and boots, and gloves, and scarves. By my 2nd winter, I was prepared.

About driving in the snow, I do find it still a little scary. I did not learn to drive until about 1 year after I came to the US. If I think it's really bad, I ask the hubby to drive me (although I think I'm even more nervous when he drives coz he drives fast).

I took my wife and step son to Ocean Park in Manila yesterday and there was an exibit with penguins and a cold room with snow on the floor where you could take pictures. They were so cold in there I could barely get them to stand still long enough to take a picture lol. Meanwhile it is -5F back home.

Edited by jg121783

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.