heo luoi

AoS - marriage sequence max HSA benefits w/ HR? HELP?! Urgent! Plz

7 posts in this topic

We have Visa on hand. Still trying to sort out flights. But hope fiance here by Thanksgiving.

Originally had intended on following guide, SS, marriage (name change), SS update, file AoS/EAD/AP.

We had open enrollments starting for work and came across this idea today, cause I dont want to leave money on the table.

Obviously trying to get married before the year is out.

• HSA yearly max contributions (including emp matches is $3350.
    • I have already maxed it....with $500 emp match included.
  • I'd like to get the other $500 and max out the family cap @ $6650. I get paid semi monthly on 15 / 30th so trying to get at least in the last check to get the emp match and see if I can manage to get closer to the fam cap.
  • I realize you can't get SS until in the SAVE dbase/I94 printout thing. I do not believe you need a SSN to get married. Definitely want to do name change to get rid of the naming issues that can arise from VN. I probably still have time to follow original timing, but could possibly get in before the NOV 30th check. I dont really care as long as I can max my benefit.
  • Im only trying to take advantage of the benefits as entitled by my plan.
    1. Question, can we just get married ASAP from POE? We aren't into all the pageantry anyway.
    2. Do you think this would raise any flags?
    3. Can we do the name change (via marriage) prior to SS or does that make it more complicated?
    4. How long does Life Change take to get recognized by HR?
  • As long as I get the marriage cert to HR in time I could maybe get in before the 1st check in DEC, but ultimately need to get in by the last one.

Does this make sense?

As of today I have 3 paydays left and just trying to make this as easy as possible for me and HR to do properly. Not sure how fast a Life Change would get reconciled by HR.

Just trying to work out my timing and sequence in order to do everything properly/prudently and as advantageous for me and future spouse and hopefully future fam...and opportunity to put +$3k in HSA, get tax exempt for it and get the extra $500 from employer would be nice and try to get back on it for 2016 in JAN.

Edited by heo luoi

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We have Visa on hand. Still trying to sort out flights. But hope fiance here by Thanksgiving.

Originally had intended on following guide, SS, marriage (name change), SS update, file AoS/EAD/AP.

We had open enrollments starting for work and came across this idea today, cause I dont want to leave money on the table.

Obviously trying to get married before the year is out.

• HSA yearly max contributions (including emp matches is $3350.
    • I have already maxed it....with $500 emp match included.
  • I'd like to get the other $500 and max out the family cap @ $6650. I get paid semi monthly on 15 / 30th so trying to get at least in the last check to get the emp match and see if I can manage to get closer to the fam cap.
  • I realize you can't get SS until in the SAVE dbase/I94 printout thing. I do not believe you need a SSN to get married. Definitely want to do name change to get rid of the naming issues that can arise from VN. I probably still have time to follow original timing, but could possibly get in before the NOV 30th check. I dont really care as long as I can max my benefit.
  • Im only trying to take advantage of the benefits as entitled by my plan.
    1. Question, can we just get married ASAP from POE? We aren't into all the pageantry anyway. See below.
    2. Do you think this would raise any flags? Not necessarily, see below.
    3. Can we do the name change (via marriage) prior to SS or does that make it more complicated? Wait until after, unless you want to go to court and petition for name change.
    4. How long does Life Change take to get recognized by HR? Good question. Wrong forum, talk to your HR.
  • As long as I get the marriage cert to HR in time I could maybe get in before the 1st check in DEC, but ultimately need to get in by the last one.

Does this make sense?

As of today I have 3 paydays left and just trying to make this as easy as possible for me and HR to do properly. Not sure how fast a Life Change would get reconciled by HR.

Just trying to work out my timing and sequence in order to do everything properly/prudently and as advantageous for me and future spouse and hopefully future fam...and opportunity to put +$3k in HSA, get tax exempt for it and get the extra $500 from employer would be nice and try to get back on it for 2016 in JAN.

We got married 4 days after POE. Upon POE arrival, she and I rushed down to the county clerk office, purchased our marriage license. I had already made an appointment with District Court Judge for the ceremony to take place 4 days later. There is a 3-day wait period, per WA-state law, before you can get married. Got married, had a delightful celebratory dinner at the Seattle Space Needle. Read our reviews and timeline for more details.

It took several days to get certified copies of our marriage certificate. YMMV.

From my perspective, enjoy the moment with your new partner, let the rest of the business go..... Carpe diem! You only go around once in life!

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Thanks Pitya, I thought about posting to finance forum.

I've tried to be more free spirited about ti all, but I don't think leveraging what is available to me and taking advantage of opportunity is a bad thing. I've been single a long time and aggressively saved. I just want to set aside extra funds while I have the opportunity to do so before everything changes for me. and better support my spouse and potential family. VJ is flooded w/ posts of people not having enough saved preemptively I'm just trying to do that which I dont think should be a problem. Companies provide every decreasing benefits so I just want to get what I can get.

I'm not going to freak out about it, just trying to do the best plan of attack. We were always going to do a county clerk thing. so nothings changing I was just trying to see if I needed to coordinate any differently from the conventional sequence of events.

Can you clarify your response below?

1. Can we do the name change (via marriage) prior to SS or does that make it more complicated? Wait until after, unless you want to go to court and petition for name change.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks Pitya, I thought about posting to finance forum.

I've tried to be more free spirited about ti all, but I don't think leveraging what is available to me and taking advantage of opportunity is a bad thing. I've been single a long time and aggressively saved. I just want to set aside extra funds while I have the opportunity to do so before everything changes for me. and better support my spouse and potential family. VJ is flooded w/ posts of people not having enough saved preemptively I'm just trying to do that which I dont think should be a problem. Companies provide every decreasing benefits so I just want to get what I can get.

I'm not going to freak out about it, just trying to do the best plan of attack. We were always going to do a county clerk thing. so nothings changing I was just trying to see if I needed to coordinate any differently from the conventional sequence of events.

Can you clarify your response below?

1. Can we do the name change (via marriage) prior to SS or does that make it more complicated? Wait until after, unless you want to go to court and petition for name change.

Sorry, too many caveats to be able to navigate through them on a late Friday night. :oops: The simple answer is yes, folks do it all the time, via marriage. Actually, I believe that is the sequence mentioned in the K1 Flowchart: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow . Check out the AOS process & progress fora for more info. Initially thought that you wanted to change name prior to marriage. Me bad and tired.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

The guide says to apply for SSN first

Sorry, too many caveats to be able to navigate through them on a late Friday night. :oops: The simple answer is yes, folks do it all the time, via marriage. Actually, I believe that is the sequence mentioned in the K1 Flowchart: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow . Check out the AOS process & progress fora for more info. Initially thought that you wanted to change name prior to marriage. Me bad and tired.

It's generally easier to apply for an SSN in visa name before marriage due to training issues with SSA clerks. Some of them simply will not issue an SSN no matter who you talk to or how much evidence you provide until the EAD arrives in married name if you try after marriage.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.