mister007

help! I-864 problem with part 6 item 13.a.1. (married filing jointly)

20 posts in this topic

Ok, now I don't understand what this should mean... sorry...

What amounts should I use now?! You mean I should just use the amounts of the combined income as "just his own separate income" even this amount refers to 2 persons?

But still an eplanation letter that refers to his own W2s that have his amounts, but without mentioning the expression "combined income" in the explanation letter to avoid wanting them a I-864A right?

Thank you!

Just use HIS income. Not the combined household income. If you use combined household income you have to show where that number came from which means an I-864a from his wife. This is why most people use the I-864a because it's more hassle to not include a family member than to do it.

In conclusion: Do not include her income, ANYWHERE on his I-864. The only place his wife is included is in his household count. Don't even write her name anywhere.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just use HIS income. Not the combined household income. If you use combined household income you have to show where that number came from which means an I-864a from his wife. This is why most people use the I-864a because it's more hassle to not include a family member than to do it.

In conclusion: Do not include her income, ANYWHERE on his I-864. The only place his wife is included is in his household count. Don't even write her name anywhere.

But you are supposed to use the Total Income from the last 3 tax returns, and they are to match exactly what is on the returns for that line for #13a.-c., even if it is a joint return. So, won't they get another checklist if they do not fill out the correct Total Income where it asks?

The tax info questions and the current individual and household income questions are separate things.

You should fill out the Total Income amount from the joint taxes, not split it into individual amounts. That is for Part 6 #13a.-c. If submitting most recent joint transcript, then also include the sponsor's W-2 to show his individual amount from the taxes that way.

For the current individual income question, Part 6 #5, then put the sponsor's current individual income amount there, without the spouse's included. Provide letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs to prove that amount as well.

For the current household income question, Part 6 #10, it will match #5 because you are not listing to use another person's income. You just put a 1 for spouse in Part 5 household size.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

But you are supposed to use the Total Income from the last 3 tax returns, and they are to match exactly what is on the returns for that line for #13a.-c., even if it is a joint return. So, won't they get another checklist if they do not fill out the correct Total Income where it asks?

The tax info questions and the current individual and household income questions are separate things.

You should fill out the Total Income amount from the joint taxes, not split it into individual amounts. That is for Part 6 #13a.-c. If submitting most recent joint transcript, then also include the sponsor's W-2 to show his individual amount from the taxes that way.

For the current individual income question, Part 6 #5, then put the sponsor's current individual income amount there, without the spouse's included. Provide letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs to prove that amount as well.

For the current household income question, Part 6 #10, it will match #5 because you are not listing to use another person's income. You just put a 1 for spouse in Part 5 household size.

They can't because that is the total income for the household, not just for him. They need to use just his return. In reality the best thing to do would be to send the entire tax return, not the W2 and tax transcripts.

Really this is so much easier with an I-864a from the spouse and what I always recommend for households who file jointly. The joint sponsor and their household member simply provide a copy of their bio page of their passport or birth certificate, a recent pay stub or three, and then the joint return. It's less work.

No matter what, even if you don't want to include the household member, it's better to because it affects them both as a couple even if only one person was being a joint sponsor. Everything my husband spends money on, affects me, and vice versa. This is why I said, in for a penny, in for a pound. (or in for a dollar if you prefer... lol)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The tax info section is not about household income though. They just want the Total Income amount listed from your last 3 years, even if they were joint filings, they ask for the Total Income line amount. I have seen people get checklists for putting only their income for the tax data instead of putting what matches exactly on their joint returns. That is what the instructions and form asks for. I know the NVC does not always seem to follow the instructions, so have they have changed things up again?

The current annual individual and household incomes would be just the sponsor's individual income without the spouse that they would need to provide proof of. And it would not even necessarily match the amount on their last W-2. They may have changed jobs, or gotten a raise, etc.

I agree it is easier just to have the spouse fill out an I-864A too, but the tax info amounts should not change whether or not the spouse is supplying one or not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Whenever pushbrk used to explain how to do this, it was the way I've said. The OP can try putting total income from the tax return. I'd like to see how it ends up at the embassy if they do though so I hope they stick around.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.