Lights

Legal Name Change - can I do this?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a 2 year conditional GC. We originally filed for a K1 visa and have since adjusted status.

When we got married, we decided to keep my maiden name because we were worried about SSN and other paperwork that may create complications when we adjusted. Now that we have our GC, I want to know whether I can legally change my name and then update my GC before the 2 year expiration?

Thanks!

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

You can legally change your name but you have to pay $450 I-90 form to replace your Green Card.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

You should probably wait till ROC to change your name, so that your 10 years permanent green card is in your new legal name.

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can legally change your name but you have to pay $450 I-90 form to replace your Green Card.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

You should probably wait till ROC to change your name, so that your 10 years permanent green card is in your new legal name.

Thank you! I will do just that.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a similar question. I hope someone can shed some light on it. I talked about this before too but it's moved on a bit more now.

So, we got married in NY state in May 2015.

Our Marriage Certificate had my wife's maiden name on it because the town clerk had check-marked the box that states "wife will retain her mainden name". Our AOS was filed with her new married name (my last name) so the girl at USCIS would not process it under this married name due to this mismatch of names. Again......maiden name on Marriage Certificate, married name on the AOS paperwork.

We ended up filing for her AOS using her maiden name since this was easier. Success!

At the suggestion of the agent at the USCIS office, we applied and received a legal name change for my wife. Her last name is now LEGALLY my last name and no longer her maiden name. Oddlly enough however, we received her working permit in the original name we submitted (using my last name). LOL!!

Two days ago we received a notice that her interview is being waived. She won't need one. Happy days!! But now I'm not sure when to inform USCIS of her legal name change. Do we wait until we file for her ROC? Without the interview I have no idea on how or when to proceed to make the name change with immigration. One girl here in our town said to wait until she files for her ROC in 2 years and then send in the legal paper work (documentation) of the legal name tchange then. But I don't know what forms I need or how much to pay. It's just a simple name change to her married name.

Can someone guidfe us?

Thanks so much everyone for all your help.

Doug and Ana Vensel

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together". Red Green.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

You may need to fill out an I-90 form and pay the fee ($450). I am going thru something similar, however in my case my wife is completely changing her name as her Chinese name is only one alphabet rather than her nickname, which is longer. I went to a local court office to have her name legally changed and will wait patiently for two weeks till I get the order in hand to complete the AOS.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

UPDATE:

Friday following Thanksgiving we received my wife's official notification of her temp. green card. It should arrive in 3-4 weeks. This is pretty funny though. If any of you remember my previous posts you'll also remember what a time we had at the local USCIS office in St. Albans Vt. To make a long story short, we applied and received a legal name change for my wife thereby allowing her to take her maiden name as her middle name as is done in the Philippines. Her work card came through with the original name we had used, I.E.: her maiden name moved to her middle name, and her last name was now MY family name. We were told this wouldn't fly with immigration and decided to do the name change to make sure we were covered on all fronts. Conclusion: her work card was in the very name we had wanted to use to begin with. But wait, there's more!

Today we received her official notification of her approval for her temp. (2 year) card. And it came through with the original name we used on the applicatoin! Much to our amazement, we are now lined up legally. Her middle name came through as her former maiden name and my family name is now her last name! All that trouble for one little thing and they still did it our way. Haaaahaaahaaahaaahaaaa.

We had received a notice that she would not have to go through an interview but her visa would be lagging due to so many applications sent in. The USCIS said it wouldn't be until March before we heard anything. Yet, today, Nov. 27th, we got her residency! What a wonderful Thanksgiving this turned out to be. Plans are now being made to head to New York City to change her name on her passport. And then we're done for awhile - Thank God! A trip to the Philippines is being planned now for Sept. of 2016. I can't wait!

THANK YOU to all who aided us and advised us during this time. Your experience and wisdom was priceless.

Edited by dvensel1

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together". Red Green.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.