9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi All,

I know on Packet Three, it lists that:

"Persons who have served in the military in any country must provide an original copy of their military record. If exempted from military service, the applicant should also provide an original copy of the exemption record."

Do any of you know how this works in Algeria? My fiance has never served in the military in Algeria, but does this mean that we would need a copy of the exemption record? Does such a thing exist? Perhaps someone who has gone through the consulate at Algiers can explain this to me a little more clearly. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi, I'm in same case as your husband, did they ask for his military record at his interview? Keep me in touch please :)

PS: I think you're husband is right, "carte militaire" is enough.

Edited by Amine87

Timeline

Well, I emailed the Consulate in Paris, and they request a translated copy of the carte militiaire (into English), and then just to show them the original at the interview. We haven't had our interview yet!

Are you filing in Algiers? Or Parid also?

Timeline

Nope, I'm filling in Algiers. Been student for almost 11 years, so they never called me to do my military duty. The problem now is that I don't have exemption card or any other paper related to that. According to an old topic here in VJ, they don't ask for it...but it still worries me. If I go now and try to get the card, probably they'll force me to do my military service and I'll be stuck for a whole year.

Good luck for your interview guys, I wish you all the best of luck. You're almost there:)

Once the interview done, pls keep me in touch, especially if they'll request the military record or nope. Thank you:)

Edited by Amine87

Timeline

Hey, I hate to bring bad news, but my consulate specifically asked me for it. And I know two couple who filed in Algiers, and who were also asked to bring it...

I hate to say it, but I think you need to find a way to get it!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband hasn't served in the Algerian Military either and now I am worried that he might have to.. That will mess everything up! Did anyone find out for sure if you need the military card or not?

Our CR1 Journey (L)

09/21/2014 Married in Chlef Algeria
06/01/2015 I-130 packet sent to Phoenix AZ via USPS Priority 2 day Mail
06/04/2015 NOA1 receive date by USCIS
06/08/2015 Email and text notification for NOA1
06/12/2015 Hard copy of NOA1 received via mail

11/09/2015 NOA2 Approval
11/13/2015 NOA2 Hard copy received via mail
11/19/2015 Case sent to NVC

11/25/2015 Case received at NVC

12/17/2015 Received DS-261 / AOS Bill

12/17/2015 Receive IV Bill 

02/21/2016 Pay AOS / IV Bill

03/21/2016 Submit DS-261

04/24/2019 Send AOS / IV Package

05/08/2019 Case Completed at NVC 

06/13/2019 Left NVC

BVYQm7.png

Timeline

It shouldn't be a problem, but since you're doing spouse visa which takes more than a year to get, if I was him I'll do my military service and get rid of it ( it's just 12 months now). That's my own opinion, right now I cannot do it cuz I don't have 12 months.

Good luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.