Verenaaa

K1 Frankfurt: Affidavit of Support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey there,

finally our approved K1 petition was forwarded to the Frankfurt embassy - I should be receiving package 3 (in form of a letter with instructions) soon, see attached file 'checklist current'.

I gathered all the required documents in advance, and my US fiance's documents (affidavit of support and evidence) is on its way.

My question regards the supporting evidence for the affidavit of support. As it is stated in the instructions from Frankfurt:

"Proof of U.S. federal income tax returns, for the most recent year, are required from all U.S. citizen sponsor / joint sponsors. [...] K visa applicants may present their own assets of proof; a tax return is not required'

--> I don't get it. It first says, it is required from ALL U.S. sponsors, but then NOT from K1 applicants?!?

We do have all the supporting evidence that is stated in the I134 instructions from USCIS, such as statement from bank, statement from employer (+ 3 months of pay stubs - he only started his new job in February this year).

My fiance did not include a copy of his latest tax return as it also says: "If self-employed: 1. Copy of last income tax return filed", and he is not self-employed.

Can someone please enlighten me if we have to provide a copy of the latest tax return or not?

This seems all very confusing to me.

Thanks in advance!

Checklist_current.pdf

NOA 1: 08/26/2014

NOA 2: 03/23/2014 --> 7 months wait (Texas Service Center)

It sounds like Frankfurt may allow self-sponsorship of the K-1 (London does as well). If the USC is sponsoring, then all tax returns are required. If the beneficiary is self-sponsoring, then it sounds like they don't require them.

I'm not overly familiar with Frankfurt, but that's my take on what it says!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If this is the current and correct information, then technically you are NOT required to bring copies of tax returns, HOWEVER, most people I know that went through a k-1 visa interview were asked for copies of last tax returns. If I were you, I would take them just in case. I know some people report not even being asked for them and the affidavit for support was sufficient, but you never know who will be interviewing you and how strict and by the book that person is. Safe > Sorry

Edited by Vette

Timeline

It sounds like Frankfurt may allow self-sponsorship of the K-1 (London does as well). If the USC is sponsoring, then all tax returns are required. If the beneficiary is self-sponsoring, then it sounds like they don't require them.

I'm not overly familiar with Frankfurt, but that's my take on what it says!

Thanks for your reply. You might be right - so with "K1 applicant" they most probably mean me as the beneficiary who could sponsor herself. That would explain the difference to the first sentence about "all U.S. citizen sponsors".

If this is the current and correct information, then technically you are NOT required to bring copies of tax returns, HOWEVER, most people I know that went through a k-1 visa interview were asked for copies of last tax returns. If I were you, I would take them just in case. I know some people report not even being asked for them and the affidavit for support was sufficient, but you never know who will be interviewing you and how strict and by the book that person is. Safe > Sorry

Thanks for your response as well. So true, better safe than sorry. I called my fiance and he is gonna get his latest tax return scanned and send it to me. The only "issue" we have, and we were actually quite glad thinking we didn't have to provide the tax return, is that last year he lived with me in Germany and made a salary which was under the poverty guidline. But as he has a job now back in the US he makes well above, so thats the only thing that counts, right? They wont care about what he made last year and whats on his tax return?

NOA 1: 08/26/2014

NOA 2: 03/23/2014 --> 7 months wait (Texas Service Center)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Yes, Frankfurt allows self-sponsorship, which I nearly did.

However, in the end I mailed my packet 3 today including the I-134 by fiancé with a ridiculous amount of supportive documents by the employer, the bank, on the mortgage, tax returns ... now I am wondering whether they think I am making fun of them.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi my fiance received packet 3 in the mail this past Friday. I was wondering if all the required documents needs to be mailed on the checklist? Also, I am not working and I did my 2014 tax return. So in order to do a secondary person for form I-134 do I fill it out just like mines and where would I add in information that is a joint person? I have been emailing Frankfurt embassy about this and I replied to email again inregards to this AoS I-134 form. Please any help about this will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Timeline

Yes, in Frankfurt everything needs to be mailed and you take literally nothing to the interview except your passport.

I had a printout of the appointment confirmation, which might be handy if they lost your appointment, and the proof of payment, which I didn't require.

Of course there are some items on the checklist that just do not apply like maybe military or court and prison records.

I am confused that you say "AoS". AoS is done once you're in the US. If you're still at the K-1 stage you need an I-134, but it has nothing to do with AoS.

Timeline

Sorry I meant the I-134 form. Frankfurt emailed me just now. I was wondering how would I fill out the I-134 for a co-sponsor? Since I am not working at the moment and I will sometime in August. Which is why I need to a co-sponsor. Thank you for replying.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I have a question about completing the I-134.

There is a question (Question2) that reads:

2. I am _____ years of age and have resided in the United States since __________ .

If I have lived abroad, do they still want my birth date? I lived here until my 20s, then went abroad, and returned later.

Any help would be appreciated!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.