2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Today, my wife and 2 step-daughters had our interview to adjust status. A very nervous past couple of days for everyone, but also glad that we got to this part of the process! Green Card = more freedom and less headaches! In the short term, anyway.

Arrived at USCIS in Houston at 715AM...got thru security, checked in and took a seat. First scheduled interview was set for the oldest daughter at 730AM, the youngest at 815AM and my wife at 900AM. We were ready for the long stay!

730AM arrived and the case office took us all back at the same time! YIPPPPEEEEE!!!! Time reduction...let's get this started and over with.

Now, there was also another addition to our group: My mother-in-law. She came with and was also invited to go to the interview. Keep in mind, Baba does not speak any english....she is there for moral support and to help entertain the little one.

Everyone takes a seat and now the fun begins!

We are asked to raise our right hands and my youngest raises her left hand! OMG!!! Turns out...Baba raised both of them for her and she just let the right one drop and kept the left one aloft! The oath is read and everyone, except Baba, says "Yes"

So, the case office starts with my wife. The case office is very polite, but straight forward. I am happy about this. I like a straight shooter. She asks my wife questions right off the I-485...name/address/name of mother and father/and a couple of the questions where you should check mark "No". Wife is good to go!

OR SO I THOUGHT

Now for the BIG BANG and I don't mean the TV show!!!

Case officer advises that everything looks good, but WAIT!...she reaches behind her and pulls a printed piece of paper...what is it you may ask? I will tell you.

It was an RFE.....an RFE?, I ask. Yes!!! The case office then proceeds to tell us that the envelope that my wife brought from Ukraine...you know the one: DO NOT OPEN or your life will be forfeit!....Well, this envelope was never given to USCIS by CBP! WHAT? My family and I entered on June 11, 2015. Today is April 2nd, 2015....almost 10 months and this envelope is not here. "Do you remember this envelope, Mrs Coghlan?" "Yes", my wife replies. She proceeded to tell her that she presented this to the CBP when they were taken to the little room for processing. I ask how can this be? "Well", my case office replies, "it can take up to a year to get from CBP to USCIS." I AM SHOCKED!!! BLOWN AWAY!!! Here we are...at the interview....and the case office knows full well that there is no way in H-E-double toothpicks, that we will be approved...we were basically interviewed, up to this point, to receive an RFE.

I inquire: Has USCIS contacted CBP to inquire where the envelope would be? No, we work faster here and there are times this happens.(I find this hard to believe). Can we call CBP to inquire right now? No, she replies. You can call, or go over to the CBP office, after the interview is completed.

Now for the good part: My case officer states that the RFE is good for 90 days(already know this), if the envelope is found in the next 3 months then you won't have to, WAIT FOR IT ........have the I693 filled out by a civil surgeon...if you want to proceed faster, then the case officer direted to get the examination done as quickly as possible. I see my wife is just totally confused. My 17 year old daughter is starting to turn red...she understands...she is fluent. She is very respectful and stays quiet.

Even though I know the answer, I have to ask. Remember: everyone paid for a medical overseas. $250 per person x 3 = $750 for us. That examination, like the money, is a historical fact. Throwing money away.

So, I ask: Who is going to pay for this? Immediate response: USCIS is not responsible. HMMMMM....OK, then who is? You are, sir. Again, just bend me over a chair! You know when a discussion is worthless! This was definitely one of those times!

So, my 2 daughters have their interview and everything is good with them, too. HOWEVER, one envelope lost equals a total of 3 RFE's! I am just loving life!

One good thing: If we can get the envelope from CBP, or do the examination, they are approved. A little sunshine during Hurricane USCIS!

We left and went to the car. I decided to google the CBP address. Along with the address came their phone number. Thinking I will see what happens...will someone pickup, or just ring and ring and ring. First number I called went to voicemail, but, GUESS WHAT?...the voicemail was full! WOW, no Surprise! So, digging deep within and wishing with all my soul, I called the 2nd number! WOW!! Someone actually answered. I explained my situation and then proceeded to give him any piece of information he requested: Passport #, date of entry, visa #'s, I-94 number, names...blah blah blah

He took my number, but I could tell that he was a little shocked that this envelope was not at USCIS, per USCIS. I actually felt good after this call....He took my number, so I thought I have a couple of days to wait.

Just as we entered our driveway, about an hour later, CBP was calling. Agent Chuckles was on the line. Chuckles introduced himself and got down to business. I offered any number he wanted..."No thanks, I have everything." After some small typing and him breathing heavily into the phone he proceeded to tell me that CBP did not have this envelope. USCIS had this envelope and that is had been delivered. That is good news, but I wanted to have some validation. I asked if there was a date/time and person that would have signed for something like this. Chuckles basically responed with: Are you quetioning me and the information I told you. We don't have it...we don't have any other information to give out. I tried again to get more detail, but Agent Chuckles was having none of it. Again, USCIS has the envelope. They have misplaced it. This is on them. Again, knowing when to say die, I say die!

Now what do we have...We have the proverbial: She said/He said!!!! Literally! Case office from USCIS is a lady....Agent Chuckles is a male(more like gorilla).

What do I do now?

If you suggest I contact USCIS and speak to them...Then: BING! You win the candy lollipop! That is exactly what I did.

Called Tier 1 and knew right away that this was not working. Requested a Tier 2. Well, 74 minute hold time. Decided to have them call me back holding my place in line...how very nice of them! Not sure how long it took, but the process worked! Imagine that! A government process that actually worked! On the phone was my Tier 2 Expert: Mr What can I do for you?

If I hear that expression anymore this week and weekend, I think I will throw up.

My wife, oldest daughter and I are on speaker phone with Mr What can I do for you? He questioned my wife so I could speak with him. Sorry folks, but when my wife can't understand someone, even though limited english on her part, you know the accent is bad. Mr What can I do for you? was very very difficult to understand. Finally, I received the authorization to discuss the case with him. I gave Mr What can I do for you? a chronological account of what happened and detail supporting what happened and what I wanted USCIS to do. His response: What can I do for you? Wait a second...didn't I just explain. No, he wanted details. Which details? Who signed for the package at USCIS? I re-iterated that CBP would not tell me, nor could I confirm that that actually happened. Can you please contact the USCIS office to re-look in their office? Have them call me to discuss? Response: What can I do for you? Again!!! Really? What are you not getting? What information do you need? Response: I need details. Who signed for the package? I can honestly say this scenario happened 5 or 6 more times! My wife and daughter just listened and could not understand what this guy wanted. Mr What can I do for you? was worthless.

Both departments really showed their inemptitude today. I could not believe, after previous experiences with USCIS, how inefftual they really are.

No emphathy on there part.

No concern that these were/are important documents for the well being of people.

No professionalism to actually take responsibility of the situation and work to resolve

So...screw 'em! We will get the RFE completed. Doctor's appointment tomorrow...Yes, with a civil surgeon to have the I-693 completed and then mailed.

My wife is so disappointed! She is shocked....she thought this only happens in Ukraine! I said noooooooooooooooooooooo! We are special like Ukraine, too!

So, hopefully you had a chuckle, but I had to vent this. I honestly could not have made this up!

Names were changed to protect the guilty!

Let the good times roll!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Exceedingly good vent. I a very sorry for the mix up. Makes me think of the old adage..."I am from the government and I am here to help"

Good Luck with the remainder of your process!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.