Pebbles1989

Reason RFE

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Austria
Timeline

Good morning :)

Today I found that we made a little mistake on our I-129F petition. On this other immigration website they recommended to not leave any space blank but write "N/A" or "None" if something is not applicable. Today I found that we'd have to leave the space blank. Do you think that this is a reason for a RFE?

We thought that it might be better to write N/A instead of leaving something we would have to fill out.. Was perhaps a mistake :/

Edited by Birgit_David_2015

I don't think it'll be an issue. Especially if it's in a portion like a parent's name or something like that. It's not priority information, unless they find a criminal history on you'll then they'll want to look into your family further.

But a blank space and an N/A are pretty much the same. From what I understand.

Timeline

Oh no, no. We wrote N/A or none when they asked for a former spouse or children - things like that. But all questions that we could answer or regarding his person or mine (plus our both families) are properly answered.

So we really answered everything - and were we had no answer as there was no former spouse, child or whatever, we wrote N/A or none.

We both do not have a criminal history. He has served for the US army for more than 8 years, has worked for the military police and national guard. I just finished my studies in 2014. So I guess there is nothing we have to be afraid of, right?

Edited by Birgit_David_2015

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

All of the USCIS forms used to have the same instructions on how to handle blanks in the forms. However, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Be sure to check the specific form instructions on how to handle blanks in the various USCIS forms.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-129F form instructions state that if something is N/A or none, then leave it blank. You won't get an RFE for following their form instructions.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

We did not leave it blank as so many people got RFEs because they left it blank. So we thought that we just state "None" when they asked for the former spouse.

So many people? Links to the RFEs for people leaving things blank on the I-129F that would have been answered with N/A or none?

Also, I have not seen anyone get an RFE for putting N/A or none, even though instructions state to leave them blank.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You are right. I have read a couple of threads on here. Even if there is this "blank" rule, it seems like many people (also from this board) got confused and some also wrote "N/A" or "None" and did not get an RFE for that. So I guess it still has to be fine. Or on another board there were about 3 cases where they requested information because of a blank field. Well, perhaps they left an important information. I don't know. But I haven't read about an RFE for writing "N/A" or "None" so I hope it's just fine.

Timeline

There is no 'if there is this "blank" rule'. The instructions do state to leave them blank, and have since this newer form version came out in June 2013. I have not seen any RFEs for people following the actual USCIS form instructions. If you do searches for information, you may come up with older posts stating to not leave anything blank. That is how it was done then. However, with new form editions came new form instructions too. When the new edition of the I-129F(and other USCIS forms as well) came out 2 years ago, the instructions on the updated forms stated to leave N/A and None answers blank instead. If you read older posts from before the summer of 2013, then you will run into old information that no longer applies.

http://www.uscis.gov...i-129finstr.pdf

How To Fill Out Form I-129F

1. Type or print legibly in black ink.

2. If extra space is needed to complete any item, attach a continuation sheet, write your name and Alien Registration
Number (A-Number) (if any), at the top of each sheet of paper, indicate the Part and Item Number to which your
answer refers, and date and sign each sheet.

3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. If an item is not applicable or the answer is “none,” leave the space blank.

Timeline

Well, if you would have looked properly then you would find that there are also threads from 2014 discussing about blanks or no blanks. So it's not just older threads but from end of 2014. So I am not the only one who is thinking about this. Anyways... no one of the petitioners from 2014 who wrote "N/A" or "none" got an RFE, so it should be fine.

Timeline

I know there have been posts from people still asking about whether or not to leave things blank, even though the form instructions clearly state to do so, and have stated this for nearly 2 year now. I have posted in several of them trying to clear up confusion. Lots of people do not bother to read through the form instructions before diving into filling out forms and for some reason trust whatever they read in older posts they may find online rather than just following what the USCIS instructs be done for filling out one of their own forms.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.