jquan

IV Package for me or beneficiary ? and married filing separately no SSN

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If I'm correct I will need the following things for IV Package and I know for the first three papers are from beneficiary but I wasn't sure about police certificates. Who will need to get original police certificate, me(petitioner) or my husband( beneficiary)?

Two passport-style photographs (2" x 2") of beneficiary (on the back, write: beneficiary's full name, date of birth, and case number)

-Copy of bio-data page of beneficiary's unexpired passport

-Original or Certified Copy of beneficiary's birth certificate, PLUS A PHOTOCOPY

-Original or Certified Copy of marriage certificate, PLUS A PHOTOCOPY

-Original police certificate(s)

ONE MORE QUESTION.

I have amended my tax return from single to married filing separately, but I just received a mail from IRS saying that they can't amend it since he does not have social security number...What should I do now? Should I just leave it and send the mail that I got from IRS When I send my AOS package or should I wait until I amend it to married.. I just got approval from USCIS two weeks ago and trying to check on my status with NVC. I'm just afraid that it will take a few months if I try to amend my tax return again and I thought they dont need SSN if I do married filing separately ...

Somebody help !!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

OK, for the tax form. You can file Married Filing Separately but since your spouse doesn't and can't get a SSN, you get an ITIN (number) using for W7. For amending a tax return to include an ITIN for your spouse is a process I'm not familiar with.

The police certificate is for the beneficiary, your husband.

I hope that points you in the correct direction.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

~~moved to IR1/CR1 process and procedures from K3 process and procedures as K3 do not submit an IV package to the NVC~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are you petitioning as K3 or IR1?

If K3, you would be filing an I-134. If IR1, you would be using I-864. Until your wife has a tax ID # - either an ITIN or SSN, you can't amend your taxes.

If you are filing as K3, you can apply for an ITIN for your husband - actually, she's supposed to file for it...but, you can download and fill out the form, send it to him for signature. He will need to provide a RED RIBBON certified copy of her passport. He will have to send you all of the original documentation (not his passport...just a certified image of his passport).

If you have petitioned as IR1 - it appears that you have per your timeline - your spouse is not eligible for an ITIN because they will be eligible for a SSN as soon as he arrives - or soon thereafter. Then you can amend your tax returns.

The beneficiary gets the police certificates from NBI and any foreign country that they may have worked in or lived in for 6 months or longer since they were 16 years old.

Your husband will have a lot of running around to do to collect everything...to get certified copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, annulments/divorces (if any), etc. They will have to go to the CFO to get certificate to be able to leave the country - there are 2 seminars that they must attend. They will receive a certificate and a "sticker" will be affixed to their visa.

The process is arduous since there is a lot of waiting and running around. And, depending on where your husband lives, or has lived in the PI, would have an effect on how much running around and waiting he will have to do!

I hope this helps to clarify things. In addition to what is here, most of the info that you need is on the Embassy Website. They also have "useful" links to CFO, St Lukes, NBI, etc. Good Luck!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Are you petitioning as K3 or IR1?

If K3, you would be filing an I-134. If IR1, you would be using I-864. Until your wife has a tax ID # - either an ITIN or SSN, you can't amend your taxes.

If you are filing as K3, you can apply for an ITIN for your husband - actually, she's supposed to file for it...but, you can download and fill out the form, send it to him for signature. He will need to provide a RED RIBBON certified copy of her passport. He will have to send you all of the original documentation (not his passport...just a certified image of his passport).

If you have petitioned as IR1 - it appears that you have per your timeline - your spouse is not eligible for an ITIN because they will be eligible for a SSN as soon as he arrives - or soon thereafter. Then you can amend your tax returns.

The beneficiary gets the police certificates from NBI and any foreign country that they may have worked in or lived in for 6 months or longer since they were 16 years old.

Your husband will have a lot of running around to do to collect everything...to get certified copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, annulments/divorces (if any), etc. They will have to go to the CFO to get certificate to be able to leave the country - there are 2 seminars that they must attend. They will receive a certificate and a "sticker" will be affixed to their visa.

The process is arduous since there is a lot of waiting and running around. And, depending on where your husband lives, or has lived in the PI, would have an effect on how much running around and waiting he will have to do!

I hope this helps to clarify things. In addition to what is here, most of the info that you need is on the Embassy Website. They also have "useful" links to CFO, St Lukes, NBI, etc. Good Luck!!!!!

We petitioned for IR1/CR1 and then filed for the ITIN for my husband afterwards but before we filed our taxes.

We received the ITIN as I stated above with no issues or problems. Our 1040 Tax form was processed as Married Filing Separately.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.