ahkhan99

DS-230 application IR-5

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi,

I have sent my AOS about a week ago. The IV is not ready yet. But I want to prepare for the next step. Can someone please tell me what documents I need to file the DS-230? Who signs the form? I, the petitioner or my mom/dad (beneficiary)? Do I need to get my parent's birth and marriage certificates? Do I submit the police verification certificates, that I have to get from my parents? Also why do I need to send originals? Don't my parents need the originals for the interview at the consulate? Sometimes there is no 'original' birth certificates available. Most of them it is a delayed registration type of birth certificate. Is that going to be a problem?

Someone told me that the DS230 takes about 6 months (from filing to getting the visa stamped in the passport at the consulate)?? Is that correct? Seems like a long time. Any other advice?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I have sent my AOS about a week ago. The IV is not ready yet. But I want to prepare for the next step. Can someone please tell me what documents I need to file the DS-230? Who signs the form? I, the petitioner or my mom/dad (beneficiary)? Do I need to get my parent's birth and marriage certificates? Do I submit the police verification certificates, that I have to get from my parents? Also why do I need to send originals? Don't my parents need the originals for the interview at the consulate? Sometimes there is no 'original' birth certificates available. Most of them it is a delayed registration type of birth certificate. Is that going to be a problem?

Someone told me that the DS230 takes about 6 months (from filing to getting the visa stamped in the passport at the consulate)?? Is that correct? Seems like a long time. Any other advice?

Thank you in advance.

Documents needed:

-bar-coded cover sheet from payment portal

-cover letter (optional)

-2 passport pictures each (with full name, date of birth, and case number written on back of all 4)

-photocopy of valid passport's bio data page of both

-DS-230 (completed and signed) of each

-original/certified copy of birth certificate of each plus a photocopy of both

-original/certified copy of parent's marriage certificate plus a photocopy

-original police certificate of each plus a photocopy of both

-court/prison records [if applicable]

-deportation documentation [if applicable]

-marriage termination documentation [if applicable]

-military records [if applicable]

-original/certified copy of petitioner's birth certificate plus a photocopy [iR5 requirement]

-original/certified copy of petitioner's current marriage and all previous marriages [iR5 requirement]

The DS-230 is completed and signed by the beneficiary, so your parents. Do NOT sign part 2, that's signed at the interview.

And you submit the originals/certified copies to NVC. You'll get these back at the time of the interview.

And after you send the IV package, it takes about 2-3 weeks to be reviewed. Once your case is closed, then you have to wait for an interview date to be scheduled, which varies in length by each embassy/consulate. And how far away the interview is from it being scheduled also varies by each embassy/consulate. In most cases, it's not 6 months unless the embassy/consulate is backlogged.

Timeline

Documents needed:

-bar-coded cover sheet from payment portal

-cover letter (optional)

-2 passport pictures each (with full name, date of birth, and case number written on back of all 4)

-photocopy of valid passport's bio data page of both

-DS-230 (completed and signed) of each

-original/certified copy of birth certificate of each plus a photocopy of both

-original/certified copy of parent's marriage certificate plus a photocopy

-original police certificate of each plus a photocopy of both

-court/prison records [if applicable]

-deportation documentation [if applicable]

-marriage termination documentation [if applicable]

-military records [if applicable]

-original/certified copy of petitioner's birth certificate plus a photocopy [iR5 requirement]

-original/certified copy of petitioner's current marriage and all previous marriages [iR5 requirement]

The DS-230 is completed and signed by the beneficiary, so your parents. Do NOT sign part 2, that's signed at the interview.

And you submit the originals/certified copies to NVC. You'll get these back at the time of the interview.

And after you send the IV package, it takes about 2-3 weeks to be reviewed. Once your case is closed, then you have to wait for an interview date to be scheduled, which varies in length by each embassy/consulate. And how far away the interview is from it being scheduled also varies by each embassy/consulate. In most cases, it's not 6 months unless the embassy/consulate is backlogged.

Thanks for the info. I have a question on the "original/certified copy of petitioner's current marriage and all previous marriages [iR5 requirement]". Why is my (petitioner's) marriage certificate needed for IR5? Also any idea how long it takes to have the IV fee generated? I sent my my AOS documents over a week ago (NVC received the email on 7/08).

Thanks for the info. I have a question on the "original/certified copy of petitioner's current marriage and all previous marriages [iR5 requirement]". Why is my (petitioner's) marriage certificate needed for IR5? Also any idea how long it takes to have the IV fee generated? I sent my my AOS documents over a week ago (NVC received the email on 7/08).

I honestly have no idea why the petitioner's marriage certificates are needed for an IR5 case. But it's listed on this page: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#petitioner_documents

The IV fee is generated a few days after the NVC accepts the DS-3032.

Remember, IV and AOS are SEPARATE tracks.

Filed: IR-5 Country: China
Timeline

Talk about DS-230 form, I also have a question.

I also apply IR5 for my mother, when fill in DS230 form, I have to apply my grandma's birth, but my grandma already died 70 years ago, my mom cannot remember her birth date, in this case, how can I fill in the birth date field?

Thanks ahead.

I also apply IR5 for my mother, when fill in DS230 form, I have to apply my grandma's birth, but my grandma already died 70 years ago, my mom cannot remember her birth date, in this case, how can I fill in the birth date field?

Thanks ahead.

If there's no way you can find out your grandma's birth date, then I would suggest writing "unknown" in the field for the birth date.

Thanks for your reply.

But when I try to fill in "unknown", it is not allowed saying format is not right, should I hand write this field?

Yes, just handwrite in that part.

Timeline

Thanks ahead.

Good question Panda_T. I was wondering the same thing.

Also Saylin, by AOS..I actually meant Affidavit of Support document. Not sure if you had mistaken that for Adjustment of Status.

Thanks.

Good question Panda_T. I was wondering the same thing.

Also Saylin, by AOS..I actually meant Affidavit of Support document. Not sure if you had mistaken that for Adjustment of Status.

Thanks.

No, I understood it as Affidavit of Support and answered accordingly. I don't know much about Adjustment of Status as that's not part of the IR-1/CR-1 visa no0pb.gif

• 11 months later...
Filed: Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

HI, I applied for my parents but my father passed away June 21st 2012.. case is now in NVC.. i have submitted AOS package and paid IV Fee... but i have not sent the IV package yet... do i still need my parents marriage certificate. please let me know...

HI, I applied for my parents but my father passed away June 21st 2012.. case is now in NVC.. i have submitted AOS package and paid IV Fee... but i have not sent the IV package yet... do i still need my parents marriage certificate. please let me know...

I suggest calling NVC, explain your situation, and ask them.

If anything, it wouldn't hurt to send the marriage certificate.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Timeline

according to the information in this forum, i have some questions on the poverty guideline for my both parents. i have checked all the minimum poverty guideline on the chart and still confused to fill out the paper work form I-864.

on the first IV package, i am sponsoring my mom on form I-864, the household size should be 3: myself, my husband and sponsoring my mom the minimum poverty guideline should be at $25,000 <<<< IS IT CORRECT?

and on the second IV package, i am sponsoring my dad on form I-864, the household size should be the same 3: myself, my husband and sponsoring my dad the minimum poverty guideline should be at the same $25,000 <<< IS IT CORRECT TOO?

please anyone help me to have further information and explanations on my both parents case. Thank you in advances!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for your reply.

But when I try to fill in "unknown", it is not allowed saying format is not right, should I hand write this field?

I would just hand write it in. Records in China from that period are very sketchy. I think the consulate realizes that.

We are the poster children for chain migration!

K-1 Visa

10/13/06 - NOA1

01/25/07 - NOA2

02/12/07 - NVC sent petition to Guangzhou consulate

04/27/07 - Packet 3 received

06/17/07 - Packet 4 received

07/05/07 - Interview - Passed!

07/07/07 - Received K-1 visa

03/20/08 - Received 2 year Green Card

02/21/10 - Received 10 Year Green Card

10/18/11 - Sent N-400

03/22/12 - Sworn in as USC

IR-5 for parents

03/23/12 - Sent I-130

03/29/12 - NOA1

06/29/12 - NOA2

07/23/12 - NVC Received

08/10/12 - Received NVC Case No. and IIN

08/21/12 - AOS Fee Bill Received

08/27/12 - AOS Fee Bill Paid

09/04/12 - GZO numbers received

09/04/12 - AOS E-Mailed

09/06/12 - IV Fee Paid

09/06/12 - DS-230 E-Mailed

09/18/12 - Case Complete

11/01/12 - Interview - Passed

11/08/12 - Received IR-5 visa

F2-B for Brother & Sister

08/28/13 - NOA1

12/24/13 - NOA2

01/15/19 - Welcome letter

02/28/19 - Case Complete

06/20/19 - Interview letter

07/17-18/19 - Interview - Passed

07/31/19 - Received F2-B visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.