Tumbleweed

What is an I-797?

24 posts in this topic

Thanks for all that! I will have to check out that chat for certain...I really appreciate you telling me about that :)

That's what's worst for me about having the lawyer. The emotional aspect. I hate hate hate feeling like I am not in control of my own destiny. However, once I get the case number from him, I'll be all over it. I've already paid his non-refundable retainer, so I might as well use that up, I guess. But I've made it clear to him that I NEED to be kept in the know...I am waaaay to emotional and OCD to not know and "just trust."

I am babbling now....:blink:

Hi and welcome to VJ~

As everyone else mentioned a lawyer when having a simple case/situation is a completely optional matter, sometimes they are helpful and sometimes they can hinder you as they can have human error also. I agree about feeling a lot better being in control of the paperwork and your own immigration journey it is empowering and this website has been a guide both emotionally and physically with the vast knowledge at your fingertips. Hope you have a smooth journey good luck~!

Jen and Geert

07-28-08 Married.

USCIS

05-04-10 Packet I-130 mailed.

05-06-10 Packet I-130 Arrived.

05-11-10 Packet I-130 Received by USCIS.

05-13-10 Touched.

05-17-10 NOA 1 Hardcopy Received.

11-03-10 Touched. Approved.

11-22-10 NOA2 hardcopy received.

NVC

11-04-10 DS-3032, I-864 Bill received.

11-04-10 E-mailed DS-3032.

11-05-10 DS-3032 Received.

11-04-10 AOS Bill paid.

11-05-10 IV Bill paid.

11-13-10 Sent IV and AOS.

11-15-10 IV and AOS Received.

11-30-10 IV and AOS in NVC system.

12-10-10 RFE.

12-11-10 Sent requested documents.

12-13-10 Documents arrived @ NVC.

01-10-11 Case complete at NVC.

Consulate

02-09-11 Husbands Medical Exam.

02-14-11 Interview. Approved.

5-14-11 POE

(Join the conversation! :) )

May 2010 CR-1/IR-1 Filers Thread

“Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (Corinthians 13:4-7)

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's a great list Loto :) I have a question....we still haven't received our NOA2, but should my husband be filling out those forms and sending them to me? The forms that go to NVC? Or does he need to wait? I don't know about timeframes, and if they matter. I'm totally clueless as to what happens after the petition is approved. I do have my transcripts for the past three years, and I can easily get a letter from my employer and pay stubs (he doesn't give them to me every week but can print them out for me). I've been waiting to do that, because again, the timefame....I don't want to have anything that's outdated, or have to get it twice. Thanks!

Tumbleweed,

If your case is a straightforward one, you "may" fire the lawyer and save some money now onwards. Entire process is here - http://www.visajourn...p/EZGuideSpouse

I would ask couple of flowers only :star:

Loto

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

That's a great list Loto :) I have a question....we still haven't received our NOA2, but should my husband be filling out those forms and sending them to me? The forms that go to NVC? Or does he need to wait? I don't know about timeframes, and if they matter. I'm totally clueless as to what happens after the petition is approved. I do have my transcripts for the past three years, and I can easily get a letter from my employer and pay stubs (he doesn't give them to me every week but can print them out for me). I've been waiting to do that, because again, the timefame....I don't want to have anything that's outdated, or have to get it twice. Thanks!

Since your husband is the beneficiary, he can mail you all his original civil documents including Police Certificates with signed copies of the forms etc. to you. So, you will not lose the time when you are in the NVC stage.

Note that Police certificate has an expiry. Check with the Consulate site. Most will have 1 year validity, some will have less.

Read the guide and start collecting them in advance.

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Will do....thanks!

Since your husband is the beneficiary, he can mail you all his original civil documents including Police Certificates with signed copies of the forms etc. to you. So, you will not lose the time when you are in the NVC stage.

Note that Police certificate has an expiry. Check with the Consulate site. Most will have 1 year validity, some will have less.

Read the guide and start collecting them in advance.

Loto

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for all that! I will have to check out that chat for certain...I really appreciate you telling me about that :)

That's what's worst for me about having the lawyer. The emotional aspect. I hate hate hate feeling like I am not in control of my own destiny. However, once I get the case number from him, I'll be all over it. I've already paid his non-refundable retainer, so I might as well use that up, I guess. But I've made it clear to him that I NEED to be kept in the know...I am waaaay to emotional and OCD to not know and "just trust."

I am babbling now....:blink:

Our lawyer actually made ours worse. First he spelt Canada wrong on the forms, and then put my husband down as my son. Then finally after ALL that and taking our $2600.. he vanished into thin air, and left us scrambling to pick up the pieces.

Thank heavens for VJ...with sound advice from senior members, I made my way home into my hubbies loving arms!!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Just a Note: You probably paid the attorney to guide you for the entire process so firing him will not save money. Sometimes having a lawyer on "retainer" is good. I have an attorney and while sometimes I felt he slowed things down (information only) I am not of the position to be home each night to have access to mail and documents. It was nice for me to send him one, generic form and I have never had to sign another form nor has my foreign spouse since he represents both of us. An attorney has it's advantages. If you insist on "firing" him and you have paid for the entire process request the he remain on retainer in case any items arise later. Just my opinion.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Our lawyer actually made ours worse. First he spelt Canada wrong on the forms, and then put my husband down as my son. Then finally after ALL that and taking our $2600.. he vanished into thin air, and left us scrambling to pick up the pieces.

Thank heavens for VJ...with sound advice from senior members, I made my way home into my hubbies loving arms!!

Did you ensure he was BAR certified? Have you tracked him down? 2600 for a CR-1 is a steep price.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

He was bar certified.. what we didnt know is that he was under investigation at the time..we were desperate and went with the first one. Its a hard lesson to learn, but I learned.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.