VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      Affiliates     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
Emily & Friday
K1 Visa
Nigeria
blank avatarSean & Chiara
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Italy
blank avatarChris & Lary
K1 Visa
Brazil
Firebug & Honeysuckle
K1 Visa
Austria
Beth & Matthew
K1 Visa
Australia
blank avatarOr & Cl
K1 Visa
Brazil
blank avatarImane & Zizou
K1 Visa
Morocco
blank avatarMark & Genefer
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Philippines
Carlos & Alexa
K1 Visa
Dominican Republic

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

Larry & Samantha
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarSammy & Olly
K1 Visa
Nigeria
blank avatarhim & her
FB-1 Visa
Bahamas
blank avatarPralines & Cheese
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
France
Kimberly & Yader
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Nicaragua
blank avatarWilliam & Hazel May
K1 Visa
Philippines

• Please log in to reply

Green card through marriage, currently on H1B

#1 kumar1234

kumar1234

• PipPipPipPip

• Group: Members

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:57 AM

Dear Forum Members,

Hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I am an Indian national working in US on H1B. I have been in US for over 6 years through F1 and H1B. I am engaged to a US citizen and we are planning to marry sometime later this year. However, due to economic turmoil we are concerned that if I lose my job I might have to go back. To prevent this from happening we are thinking of getting married to get my green card.

Few questions:

1. Intent: We love each other and would have gotten married later this year. However, we want to marry sooner to prevent me from going out of status in case I lose my job. Does this constitute fraudulent marriage? (by the way, we have been living together for over a year)

2. Waiting Period: Let's say we get married next week and apply for green card petition. Does that mean if I lose my job, let's say the week after, I can still stay in the country without losing my status?

Thank you very much for the help.
AOS from H1B
--------------------
04/2/09: Filed I-130, I-485, EAD, AP
04/13/09: Received NOA for all the forms
04/16/09: Received biometrics appointment

#2 Dakine

Dakine

BIG crab/Anaka

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (kumar1234 @ Feb 1 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Forum Members,

Hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I am an Indian national working in US on H1B. I have been in US for over 6 years through F1 and H1B. I am engaged to a US citizen and we are planning to marry sometime later this year. However, due to economic turmoil we are concerned that if I lose my job I might have to go back. To prevent this from happening we are thinking of getting married to get my green card.

Few questions:

1. Intent: We love each other and would have gotten married later this year. However, we want to marry sooner to prevent me from going out of status in case I lose my job. Does this constitute fraudulent marriage? (by the way, we have been living together for over a year)

2. Waiting Period: Let's say we get married next week and apply for green card petition. Does that mean if I lose my job, let's say the week after, I can still stay in the country without losing my status?

Thank you very much for the help.

If you marry and file to adjust status you shouldn't have any problems.
K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship
!! ALL PAU!

#3 kumar1234

kumar1234

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

So, does that mean as soon as I file the forms I get a (temporary) status change?

AOS from H1B
--------------------

#4 Rosie74

Rosie74

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (kumar1234 @ Feb 2 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, does that mean as soon as I file the forms I get a (temporary) status change?

As soon as you file for AOS, you can stay even if you loose your job.
You can still work under your H1B, but if you happen to loose the job, you are entitled to stay as an AOS filer, until a decision has been made by USCIS on your AOS case good.gif
05/12/04 => Arrived in the US under L1 status / work visa
03/05/05 => Met the love of my life
07/02/07 => Married my wonderful USC husband

______AOS JOURNEY________________________________
10/03/08 => Package sent to USCIS
03/03/09 => Interview in Chicago, IL =>> APPROVED!

______REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY______________
12/03/10 => Package sent to California service center
03/02/11 => 10 YR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!

______CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY_________________________
01/20/12 => Filed N-400 for Citizenship
06/21/12 => Citizenship interview: Approved!
07/25/12 => Oath Ceremony.. DONE WITH USCIS!!

#5 kumar1234

kumar1234

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Rosie74 @ Feb 2 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (kumar1234 @ Feb 2 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As soon as you file for AOS, you can stay even if you loose your job.
You can still work under your H1B, but if you happen to loose the job, you are entitled to stay as an AOS filer, until a decision has been made by USCIS on your AOS case good.gif

Rosie: Thanks, this was helpful smile.gif
AOS from H1B
--------------------

#6 Nich-Nick

Nich-Nick

Long Time Member

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (kumar1234 @ Feb 1 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Few questions:

I wouldn't worry about the intent if you are a couple and are in love. The fraudulent bit would be if you were paying your "fiance" $20,000 to go through the motions of marriage when you had no intentions of living with him and being a married couple.
England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London
10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston
05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:
4 years, 2 months, 6 days
243 pages of forms/documents submitted
No RFEs

Back to Top ↑

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.