RealPi

Marriage license requirements for K-1 holders

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hi all,

I am a K-1 visa holder (successfully had my interview last week at the Embassy in Athens) and will soon (mid-May) travel to the US to marry my fiancee. The wedding will be early June in St. Louis County (MO). I had a question regarding the documents I need to bring with me in order to obtain the marriage license in St. Louis County.

According to the County, one of them is the social security card (which I will have obtained by the time I make the application for the license or if not then an appropriate document from the SSA office certifying I have been assigned a SSN and will get the card soon in the post should suffice) and the other one is ‘state ID’ (or driver license). It is about the second one that I have questions, since the State of Missouri has some stricter requirements, it seems.

Now, correct me if I am wrong (please! :blush: ) but this is what I thought so far.

First of all, I think it takes a very long time to actually obtain a state ID/driver's license if you are a new alien (in my case coming from a K-1 visa as I will have about a month after arrival to the US before I apply for a marriage license - typically 2 weeks before the wedding, so we are within the 30 day limit of the license's validity plus I have enough time before to obtain my SSN in the post). Therefore I reason that it might be sufficient to provide alternative papers (at the time when I and my fiancee go to the Office to apply for the marriage license) which show the same type of evidence as a state ID would. Is this true? Or do they actually require that I have a state ID in hand?

That is my first question. My second question continues in a natural way from the above (relating to it).

More specifically, I had a look at the idrequirements.pdf file from this site http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/idrequirements.htm . Thus it seems that I will need three things (for state ID and thus for the marriage license): Proofs of lawful presence, identity and residency.

Proof of lawful presence in my case can be covered by my (valid unexpired foreign) passport and future (valid unexpired) I-94. Check.

Proof of identity will be shown by my SSN or the appropriate letter from the SSA (in case the SSN has not been assigned yet). Check.

However, I am not sure what sort of things could alternatively be used as proof of residency. I am a bit hazy if I will be in a position to open a bank account and have a statement or join the lease agreement for my fiancée’s apartment in time for the marriage certificate application. Is there anything else I could use in my case?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm truly at a loss what to do here. :unsure:

(Note on dates: I will arrive on May 19 in the US. The wedding is scheduled for July 5.)

I would like to thank all in advance for your consideration in reading this and responding, especially anyone who has experience from Missouri areas!

Thanks!

Pi

Hi!

I'm from St. Louis county MO and came here on a K-1! We went to the county office with my SSN, which I too got a few weeks after I arrived, and my passport that had my K-1 visa in it, I also brought a copy of the letter that the SSN office sent me with my US address on it, and the envelope that my SSN card came in...again, to confirm residency. I think I brought a copy of my birth certificate as well, but don't remember them asking to see it.

Driver's license is something else. I know from experience, that in MO you will not get your DL until you have your GC. In MO, you have to do a written test, do a visual sign test, and take a road test.

You must let me know what area you're moving to! We had a VJ St. Louis get together at the end of last year and met so many wonderful people!

Congratulations on your recent approval and best wishes on your move to the US!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Hi!

I'm from St. Louis county MO and came here on a K-1! We went to the county office with my SSN, which I too got a few weeks after I arrived, and my passport that had my K-1 visa in it, I also brought a copy of the letter that the SSN office sent me with my US address on it, and the envelope that my SSN card came in...again, to confirm residency. I think I brought a copy of my birth certificate as well, but don't remember them asking to see it.

Driver's license is something else. I know from experience, that in MO you will not get your DL until you have your GC. In MO, you have to do a written test, do a visual sign test, and take a road test.

You must let me know what area you're moving to! We had a VJ St. Louis get together at the end of last year and met so many wonderful people!

Congratulations on your recent approval and best wishes on your move to the US!

Dear Carlawarla:

Wow, thanks for the great reply! :star:

(A parenthesis: Actually, I had a small typo in what I wrote above; the wedding is on July 5 so it should read "early July" not "early June" as I wrote by mistake at the top of my first mail).

Okay, now let me just clarify what you said. So, you're essentially saying that it all boils down to this letter that the SSN office sent you with your US address.

Is this standard procedure when you apply for a SSN (do they send such a letter automatically to you)? Or did you have to specifically request this letter when you applied for the SSN? Also, at that time did the SSA office ask to see any sort of proof of residency for you or was that something he managed to figure out through other sources (e.g. perhaps intended permanent address shown on the I-94 given at the airport or through the online info that appears on the SAVE system etc)?

I'll be traveling on the 19th of May, and the wedding is scheduled for the 5th of July (sort of our day of independence :)) The idea of a meet sounds fun, it'd be great, looking forward to it. I'll be moving near Forest Park area, not far from the Metro station.

Congratulations on your recent wedding and best wishes for all success and happiness!

Pi

Honestly all this varies from state to state, county to county. I know for where I am (and i've just recently checked into these questions) that for our marriage license all he has to produce is his passport. No SSN required. For his Driver's License... he will need to show his passport (to verify who he is with a pic) and his SSN # (which by the time we are ready to get his license he will have. He will also have to pass the driving and vision tests. Your best bet is to contact the county in which you will be residing.. explain to them your situation and status and they will be able to advise accordingly.

I'm actually surprised at how easy what we need to do will be to get done.... but that's a good thing!

Hello Pi,

I would go to the SS office about a week upon entering the US. Here's a link to the office that I believe is near you: https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/Controller

if your zip code is 63110.

Bring your Passport and K-1 visa and explain you want to get your SS card. They'll look you up in the SAVE system, and if your name isn't there yet, they will tell you that once it's there they'll mail it out to you. You might want to even wait 10 days, might be safer that you'll be in the system by then. About three days later, I got a letter from the office indicating that once my request matched up with my record of my K-1, they'd mail me a card. Thus, my first US mail addressed to me by an "official gov't. agency". About a week later, they mailed me my card. That too will come addressed to you, so you'll also have that mail as well.

After getting married, and receiving your marriage certificate ( I got 3 certified copies, and ordered them when we went to get the license), about a week later, take that and your passport, and your SSN back to the office and get them to change your SS card to your married name (if you're going to change your name). After your 75th day of entry, they can't issue you a new SS card until after you get your GC with your new name on it, so best get it done before if that's what you'd like to have.

Maybe we can get together once you're settled here. The area of St. Louis you're moving to is incredibly beautiful. Have you been here before?

Safe journey to the US! If you need any other information or clarification, don't hesitate to PM me!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Realpi.

I'm in St. Louis City. When we applied for my the marriage license two years ago, all my husband needed was his birth certificate and passport with visa to apply. He did not get a SSN until the green card arrived nearly 6 months later. Our license took just 3 days to recieve after we applied.

Welcome to St. Louis. I hope you love it as much as I always have. Hopefully we'll meet at the next St. Louis meet-up that Carla organizes (HINT HINT CARLA!)

Good luck to you!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

The area you are moving to is actually in the city. Carla is right, it's beautiful (except for all the standing water in the park right now....darn spring rains!) Anyhow, you will have to go to City Hall to apply for your license since you reside in the city. Here is some info:

Marriage Licenses

To obtain a marriage license both the bride and the groom must apply together in person at the Recorder's Marriage License Department. The bride or groom may pick up the license three days after the application is made.

A fee of $48 in cash is required at time of application.

Applicants must present:

Current ID (drivers license or Birth certificate). If one of the applicant is not a US Citizen, he or she must present a valid passport and passport number.

Both must present proof of social security number (or a drivers license or pay stub). A three (3) day waiting period is required. The marriage license office can keep the license in the office up to 90 days.

Applicants have a period of 30 days to have the ceremony performed in the state of Missouri by any minister.

To request copies of old certificates:

$ 3.00 to request non certified copy.

$12.00 to request certified copy.

In order for the bride to change her name with various agencies , she will need proof of the marriage. Thus she will need to obtain the $12.00 certified copy as acceptable proof of marriage for the name change on her driver's license, social security card, etc.

Created 12-Jul-04

Updated 26-May-06

Related Links:

Related Topic: Civil Wedding Ceremonies

Related Topic: Weddings

Marriage License Office - Recorder of Deeds

City Hall

Room 127

1200 Market St.

St. Louis, MO 63103

Phone: 314-622-3257

Hours: 9 AM - 5 PM M - F

Closed Sat, Sun and Holidays

Please note.........even though it said Andre needed a SSN, I called and explained that he was a K-1 visa and did not have one. They said they see it all the time with immigrants and would just use his visa number in the SSN slot on the form. It went just as they said. We had absolutely no issues with not having a SSN when applying.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Honestly all this varies from state to state, county to county. I know for where I am (and i've just recently checked into these questions) that for our marriage license all he has to produce is his passport. No SSN required. For his Driver's License... he will need to show his passport (to verify who he is with a pic) and his SSN # (which by the time we are ready to get his license he will have. He will also have to pass the driving and vision tests. Your best bet is to contact the county in which you will be residing.. explain to them your situation and status and they will be able to advise accordingly.

I'm actually surprised at how easy what we need to do will be to get done.... but that's a good thing!

I was actually wondering about Texas and couldn't seem to find any concrete info.. haha, how excited he'll be when he finds out he probably has to redo the driving tests!

K1
January 14, 2008: I29F Sent
May 20, 2008: INTERVIEW!!! (127 days)
September 27, 2008: Liam Arrives USA (POE LAX)
November 7, 2008: Wedding smile.png

AOS/EAD/AP
February 4, 2009: AOS Packet Sent
March 4, 2009: Biometrics Appointment
March 5, 2009: Case Transferred to the CSC
April 6, 2009: EAD/AP/AOS Approved
April 15, 2009: Received GREEN CARD!!!

Removing Conditions
January 5, 2011: Mailed I-751
January 6, 2011: I-751 received and signed for
January 11, 2011: Check Cashed
January 7, 2011: NOA date
January 14, 2011: NOA Received
February 10, 2011: Called USCIS requesting update (beyond 30 day timeline for biometrics letter)
February 14, 2011: Biometrics letter received
March 9, 2011: Biometrics Appt
April 6, 2011: GC Expirtation Date
June 24, 2011: 10yr GC Approved!
June 30, 2011: Received Approval Letter
July 12, 2011: 10yr GC received in the mail

Naturalization

December 31, 2013: Mailed N-400

January 2, 2014: Application received by Dallas office

January 14, 2014: Biometrics Notification

January 27, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

February 4, 2014: Testing & Interview Case Status

Timeline
The area you are moving to is actually in the city. Carla is right, it's beautiful (except for all the standing water in the park right now....darn spring rains!) Anyhow, you will have to go to City Hall to apply for your license since you reside in the city. Here is some info:

[snip]

Please note.........even though it said Andre needed a SSN, I called and explained that he was a K-1 visa and did not have one. They said they see it all the time with immigrants and would just use his visa number in the SSN slot on the form. It went just as they said. We had absolutely no issues with not having a SSN when applying.

What can I say! It's people like you who make this into such a great site. :thumbs: Thank you so much Jomo's girl and Carla and everyone else who helped out. Now it really seems so straightforward. Your help is much appreciated and you definitely lifted a large weight off my shoulders! We will definitely keep in touch with you guys by PM and I hope I and my fiancee will get to meet some time after we've settled in.

Pi

Timeline

Hey RP....you asked about the Social Security number, driver's license, and ID card....

They would not allow Andre to get his Social Security number until he had his green card. We applied for AOS in August and received the green card in November. Immediately, we went to get a SSN. Then, I could add him to bank accounts and everything else.

From there, we went to the DMV and got him a state ID so he had something for Missouri. Plus, he took his driver's test to get a learner's permit. It took him a while to get the hang of driving.

Finally, on to the license. To get a state ID, permit or license in the state of Missouri, he needed to take his birth certificate, passport, green card, a piece of postmarked mail addressed to him, and social security card. I have read recently that they do verify the status of immigrants now, where before all they did was look at the green card and say okay.

There are some who seem to get their SSN and licenses faster then we did. Not sure exactly how they did/do it. No matter what I tried, this was the only order they would allow for us. In the end, it was no big deal.

Hope that helps you some.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

That's really helpful, me and my baby got approved last week ( i got the K1 visa ) and i was wondering about what to do when i am there, but when i read this posts i found out some useful informations, but as you said that it depends on the state and the county and my fiancée is from Paducah, Kentucky, i am not sure which county ( maybe Mccarken county ), i hope there is someone from out there who had the same experience, and tell me what to do.

thanks

K-1 Visa Journey:

August 31, 2007: I-129F Sent

September 05, 2007: I-129F NOA1 Received

December 26, 2007: I-129F NOA2 Received

March 13, 2008: Interview Date

March 28, 2008: Visa Issuance

AOS Journey :

June 25, 2008: AOS Packet Sent in Mail

July 08, 2008: I-485 & I-765 NOA Received

July 12 2008: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

July 24 2008: I-485 Touched / Case transferred to California Service Center "eMail Notification"

July 25 2008: Biometrics Appointment / I-485 Touched / I-765 Touched

July 28 2008: Case transferred to California Service Center "Mail Notification"

July 31 2008: I-485 Touched

August 01 2008: I-485 Touched

August 22 2008: I-485 Touched

September 10 2008: I-485 Card production ordered "eMail Notification"

September 12 2008: I-485 Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident "eMail Notification"

September 16 2008: I-485 Approval notice sent "eMail Notification"

September 17 2008: Green Card received

September 23 2008: I-765 Card production ordered "eMail Notification"

September 29 2008: I-765 Card received

Removal of Conditions Journey :

June 30,2010: I-751 Packet sent in Mail

July 02, 2010: I-751 Delivered

July 07, 2010: Check Cashed

July 12, 2010: NOA1 received (Dated 07/06/2010)

July 31, 2010: Biometrics letter received (Dated 07/27/2010)

August 24, 2010: Biometrics appointment [COMPLETED]

August 25, 2010: Touched

November 03, 2010: Approved

November 06, 2010: Card received [No approval letter]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't see this link posted...

Marriage License Requirements of the 50 states

Seems to have all the information everyone would be looking for at this point.

They even break down the counties within the states and give you the contact # to reach them and the State laws/regulations on what you need in order to get the license, costs, etc.

Edited by jzoom6

USA_a.gif

I didn't see this link posted...

Marriage License Requirements of the 50 states

Seems to have all the information everyone would be looking for at this point.

They even break down the counties within the states and give you the contact # to reach them and the State laws/regulations on what you need in order to get the license, costs, etc.

Great information jzoom6. Thanks for posting!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I would go to the SS office about a week upon entering the US.

Bring your Passport and K-1 visa and explain you want to get your SS card. They'll look you up in the SAVE system, and if your name isn't there yet, they will tell you that once it's there they'll mail it out to you. You might want to even wait 10 days, might be safer that you'll be in the system by then. About three days later, I got a letter from the office indicating that once my request matched up with my record of my K-1, they'd mail me a card. Thus, my first US mail addressed to me by an "official gov't. agency". About a week later, they mailed me my card. That too will come addressed to you, so you'll also have that mail as well.

Some excellent advice, this. Having looked into the whole matter more carefully, I decided to put up what we have so far for the benefit of all others who may wish to look up this information. Please do correct me again where I mess things up :blush: .

First, let me thank again Carla and all the rest who have helped so far by contributing their opinion and other input. Okay, so I wrote to Missouri State and they replied telling me that they only deal with state IDs/driver licenses but for the marriage license details it's all here

http://revenue.stlouisco.com/common/Faq.aspx#LicenseNeed

indicating that I only need what's there.

Here's the gist from that link:

In order to be legally married in the State of Missouri, a marriage license must be obtained prior to the ceremony. The marriage license is valid in any county in Missouri and is valid ONLY in Missouri.

The bride and groom must appear in person (at the same time) at the Recorders of Deeds Office in Clayton. The marriage license section is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday [snip etc]

Both parties must be at least 18 years of age. Each applicant must present some form of government issued (federal or state) identification (e.g. valid driver's license, a state identification card, a passport, etc.). Also, each applicant must provide proof of a valid social security number if the government issued identification does not contain a social security number. If an applicant does not have a social security number, a statement must be signed stating that fact. Blood tests are NOT required to apply for a marriage license.

First of all, it is important that one can apply for a license anywhere within Missouri; they do not need to apply in their vicinity, except for reasons of convenience. However, I also found out that there is another hidden factor. Our priest told us that, while we can go to another office to apply for the license, he recommends (strongly) that we do so at the County office since that is the one that the church (situated in the County) normally deals with. It seems that since they are comfortable with the paperwork of that office, the natural thing for us to do is to apply to the County and not to the City, where we will be. Otherwise, WE might have to sort out all the paperwork ourselves! you can imagine the potential delays here ... :blink: More generally, this may also affect e.g. the diocese paperwork (situated in Chicago) where some of the paperwork will go through. Similar considerations will certainly arise for other people who have a non-civil wedding.

Summing up: apply anywhere within the state that is a) close to you and B) is well-suited to the bureaucratic needs of your church/group.

In the case of K-1 visa holders like me, it seems that having my birth certificate (stamped copy given directly by the custodian of records abroad and also translated by an official legal notary abroad with an apostille that allows this document to be valid in the US), SS card (or letter of from SSA office saying I will have one at some point), perhaps an official government letter like the one Carla received, my I-94 and passport would be more than enough. In fact, it seems to me that simply having a passport (AND I-94 of course in my case) would probably count as the "equivalent" of "state ID" for a US citizen. Even the SSA-issued letter (saying I will be getting my SS card) may be waived since I can instead sign that I have not received one yet.

As a final thought, it seems that a few nice changes have taken place in the State of Missouri. For one thing, applying for a marriage license does not need a 3-waiting period any more. The cost has also gone down slightly and (quote) "couples will be able to apply and obtain their Marriage License on the same day as long as they are getting married within 30 days of their application date; the marriage ceremony must occur within 30 days from the date of issuance of the license or the license is void".

This is particularly important because some websites confuse things quite a bit. As an example, I will bring jzoom6's great site http://usmarriagelaws.com/ that he discovered (thanks!). In the Missouri section, it mentions "You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your wedding ceremony", thinking in terms of expiration in MONTH*S* whereas it's in fact "at most" a month now, since it now expires WITHIN one month! Interestingly enough, it mentions that you do not need to be a resident of Missouri to apply, which means that proof of residency (while required for the "state ID"/driver's license) is not strictly speaking required for obtaining the marriage license.

Initially, I had been really confused and had reasoned as follows: since I cannot provide a "state ID" in time for the marriage license application, I will need the equivalent documentation needed to obtain one under my status. "Status ID" applicants who happen to be K-1 visa holders need proofs of lawful presence, residency and ID. Hence, if I can obtain all three for the marriage license people (Recorder of Deeds), I will be OK. But, as it turns out, things are easier and the papers needed as evidence to obtain a marriage license are a subset of the aforementioned set. Nevertheless, when it is time to apply for a driver's license (or state ID) with the State of Missouri, all these papers will be needed.

To sum up. Having the following documents (*) suffice to obtain a marriage certificate at the St. Louis County in MO.

(*) Birth certificate, (foreign) passport, I-94, SSN card or appropriate letter from SSA (although it seems the latter can also be waived, as was the case with Jomo's girl).

Does all this sound about right? Or am I off my rocker once again? :wacko: .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.