mrx3214

CR 1 Question after approval

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone who helps regarding my question.  My wife was approved for the cr-1 visa. She got her passport returned to her and she is all set to go.  I'm leaving next month to go there and bring her back to the U.S.  

My questions is:  What's next? How does she get her green card and social security number? Do I need to prepare more documents? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, mrx3214 said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone who helps regarding my question.  My wife was approved for the cr-1 visa. She got her passport returned to her and she is all set to go.  I'm leaving next month to go there and bring her back to the U.S.  

My questions is:  What's next? How does she get her green card and social security number? Do I need to prepare more documents? 

Thanks

Hi :) I came to US alone with CR1 visa (petitioned by my US citizen husband). I received my social security number (SSN) 3-4 weeks after I arrived in the US. I got my green card (2-year conditional permanent resident card) 4-5 weeks after I arrived in the US. Please prepare her passport and other documents the US embassy returned to her because an immigration officer in the US airport will check it and interview her. She will receive a sheet of paper with stamp, etc. She must keep it. Her green card and passport are good to find job and apply for student permit for driving, driver's license,  state ID, etc..

If you're asking what is the next step for her to be a US citizen, there are more to prepare.

If she will arrive in the US on August 1, 2017, you and your wife can process the extension or joint petition the removal of conditional status of your wife within 90 days before the 2nd anniversary of your wife in the US (within 90 days before August 1, 2019). USCIS will send your wife a notice/letter regarding the removal and list of requirements. Make sure that you have a bonafide marriage. Prepare evidence that will prove your good marriage like the joint bank account, joint ownership of house, car, etc., birth certificate of your children born in the US and the like. Give all the evidence you have so that the petition will not be denied. The wait for 10-year permanent green card is more or less one year. If your waiting for than a year and your wife need a document to extend her job in a company and the company is looking for that document -you don't have to worry about it, your wife can apply for an extension to the nearest USCIS office. Visit USCIS website. The 10-year permanent green card holder can petition her relatives from the country where she was from or she can apply for US Citizenship. 

I hope this help. :)

I'm waiting for my 10-year permanent resident green card for 11 months now. I called USCIS and they said that they are 3 weeks behind the schedule. I was assured not to worry. I told them that I was worried because I never received any letter that my petition was being processed, denied or USCIS needed more requirements from me (except the letter for an interview and biometric appointment that I had attended). I was told that not too worry because it is a good indication that I did not receive any letter from them. It means the requirements that my husband and I submitted are complete and it is the USCIS that is behind the schedule due to the volume of applications. They said that I can apply for an extension of my stay in the US while my petition is being processed so I can use it if I'm going to travel or apply for a job or extend my current employment. If I don't need it, then I can just wait for the card. My extension is going to expire 25 days from now, so if I need another extension, I have to apply for an extension again. :) Since I'm not planning to travel and the extension is not needed by my employer, I don't apply for it. :)

16 minutes ago, JenIK said:

Hi :) I came to US alone with CR1 visa (petitioned by my US citizen husband). I received my social security number (SSN) 3-4 weeks after I arrived in the US. I got my green card (2-year conditional permanent resident card) 4-5 weeks after I arrived in the US. Please prepare her passport and other documents the US embassy returned to her because an immigration officer in the US airport will check it and interview her. She will receive a sheet of paper with stamp, etc. She must keep it. Her green card and passport are good to find job and apply for student permit for driving, driver's license,  state ID, etc..

If you're asking what is the next step for her to be a US citizen, there are more to prepare.

If she will arrive in the US on August 1, 2017, you and your wife can process the extension or joint petition the removal of conditional status of your wife within 90 days before the 2nd anniversary of your wife in the US (within 90 days before August 1, 2019). USCIS will send your wife a notice/letter regarding the removal and list of requirements. Make sure that you have a bonafide marriage. Prepare evidence that will prove your good marriage like the joint bank account, joint ownership of house, car, etc., birth certificate of your children born in the US and the like. Give all the evidence you have so that the petition will not be denied. The wait for 10-year permanent green card is more or less one year. If your waiting for than a year and your wife need a document to extend her job in a company and the company is looking for that document -you don't have to worry about it, your wife can apply for an extension to the nearest USCIS office. Visit USCIS website. The 10-year permanent green card holder can petition her relatives from the country where she was from or she can apply for US Citizenship. 

I hope this help. :)

I'm waiting for my 10-year permanent resident green card for 11 months now. I called USCIS and they said that they are 3 weeks behind the schedule. I was assured not to worry. I told them that I was worried because I never received any letter that my petition was being processed, denied or USCIS needed more requirements from me (except the letter for an interview and biometric appointment that I had attended). I was told that not too worry because it is a good indication that I did not receive any letter from them. It means the requirements that my husband and I submitted are complete and it is the USCIS that is behind the schedule due to the volume of applications. They said that I can apply for an extension of my stay in the US while my petition is being processed so I can use it if I'm going to travel or apply for a job or extend my current employment. If I don't need it, then I can just wait for the card. My extension is going to expire 25 days from now, so if I need another extension, I have to apply for an extension again. :) Since I'm not planning to travel and the extension is not needed by my employer, I don't apply for it. :)

correction: I told them that I was worried because I never received any letter that my petition was being processed, denied or USCIS needed more requirements from me (except my EXTENSION letter and the letter for an interview and biometric appointment that I had attended).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Moving to the US and Your New Life In America forum; topic pertains to items post POE.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.