andreamwl

How does divorce affect Social Security credits?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

My husband and I have decided that the best option for us both is to split up but I have a concern.  I had been travelling outside of the US before petitioning to bring him here as my fiance and therefore did not have the tax history necessary to be his financial sponsor.  My sister was kind enough to volunteer as our secondary financial sponsor.  I know that this sponsorship only ends if the beneficiary leaves the US, becomes a citizen, dies, or enters into a different immigration process of some kind.  I also know that if one of these four things doesn´t happen, my sister serves as his sponsor even if we divorce until he pays Social Security for 40 quarters or credits.  It is my understanding that while we are married, my credits are counting towards this 40 credit timeline as well.  So while we are married, we are basically decreasing her financial responsibility timeframe twice as quickly.  If we divorce before we collectively get to the 40 credit mark while married, do my credits worked while married to him not count for him anymore?  And does anyone know how to get a firm number of credits that someone has earned through Social Security?  On their website, they only give an estimate...

Thank you in advance to anyone that can shed some light on this!  I don´t want to screw over my sister!! :(

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Each ones social security credits counts towards that person only. So yours dont count towards him and his dont count towards yours. As of now he will be still sponsored by your sister until he becomes a citizen or relinquish his green card or works 10 years. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer financial sponsorship from me/my sister to just me alone now that I qualify on my own?

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.