US Embassy / Consulate Info
Embassy Webpage :: Embassy
Reviews & Ratings
Update / Add Information Click here to view the Previous Entry
last updated on 2013-10-29 by sumdesi
Consulate Phone Number:
||Phone: (022) 2672-4000
Fax: (022) 2363-0350
Phone lines are open from 10am to 12 noon & 2pm to 4 pm. The phone lines are busy.There is specific timmings to call for each kind of visa.
Effective February 01, 2012: Immigrant visa inquiries will be handled by VFS
VFS Phone: 0120-6611411
||C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex
Bandra East, Mumbai - 400051
||Interviews start around 7.30 am in morning.
Embassy works from 8 am to 4 pm.
Best Way to Contact Consulate:
||8am - 11am (Lines start at approx 6am so come early. The counter closes promptly at 11am no matter what...any people standing in line are turned away; This is the best place to pick up paperwork even though the wait is awful. Also best place to plead your case since it's so hard to get through on the phone and the email/fax rarely get any results.
Email, see advice above.
Added 03/24/06 by zdnh:
My experience regarding emails from Mumbai has been excellent. They always reply within 24-48 hours.
For subject include: your case #, your name, and your DOB
MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE:
NVC Case No
NOA Receipt Number
Petitionerís Date of Birth
Petitionerís Passport #
Beneficiaryís Date of Birth
Beneficiaryís Passport #
Effective Wednesday, February 01, 2012, all immigrant visa inquiries will be handled by VFS. Please direct emails to email@example.com or call 0120 6611411 for questions and inquiries.
Approx Waiting Time for interview date from when the Consulate receives
the package from the NVC:
||FOR IR/CR - 2 to 3 Months
FOR K-1 - 1 to 2 Months
Issues a Packet 3?
Packet 3 Contains:
||In Packet 3 for K-1 visa they will send you:
1. DS-230 Part I (Send 2 pages back to Consulate immediately)
2. Checklist/Applicant Statement (Send back to Consulate immediately)
3. I-134 (Take to interview)
4. Passport photos instructions (Take to interview)
5. Instruction package for visa facilitation office (To prepare for interview)
Check the following web-site for the above forms: http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivforms.html
For Packet 3 for IR-1/CR-1 visa, you may refer to:
Issues a Packet 4?
Packet 4 contents (if known):
||In packet 4 for K-1 visa they will send you:
Police certification (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivpolicecertificates.html)
The medical instructions in Packet 4 can be found on the following site, but you need the Appt letter from the consulate to get the medical done.
Packet 4 is actually mailed out in an efficient manner when they have scheduled your interview date, so there is no need to pick it up at the consulate. If you do pick up Packet 4 at eh consulate, a consulate employee will move anyone with an interview date to the head of the line so they can pick up their paperwork.
**K3 - They are asking for both support forms for us I 134 and I 864
In packet 4 for IR-1/CR-1 visa they will send you:
This is sent by VFS now, through an email. It will contain a PDF document giving the date and address of the interview. Do not wait for a postal mail, go ahead with preperation.
Appointment letter that will include:
Interview preparation instructions
List of documents to be submitted at the time of interview
* Any original documents that were requested by the NVC but were not submitted
to the NVC must be brought to the visa interview.
* The applicant must bring his/her medical examination results to the visa interview
in an envelope sealed by the medical office.
* The applicant must bring the correct size and number of photographs to the visa
interview. They must measure 2 inches by 2 inches (5 cm by 5 cm) on a white
* IF a sponsor filed an I-864 (Affidavit of Support) AND provided the NVC with
proof of an IRS Federal Income Tax Extension in lieu of a Federal Income Tax
Return, the applicant must bring the sponsor's most recent Federal Income Tax
Return to the visa interview.
* Failure to present all necessary documents to the Consular Officer will result in
the applicant's immigrant visa being refused at the initial interview.
What forms should be send back to the Consulate?
||What to submit with K-1 Packet 3:
1. Checklist (Page 4 only) - http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/media/pdf-visas/info_sheet_k1_packet_3.pdf
2. DS-230 Part I (2 pages) - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf
3. DS-2001 (1 page) - http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/uploads/-F/Jg/-FJg9hccHHMNW5nXLDlxFQ/DS_2001.pdf - DS-2001 is not required but good to send just in case
It is also recommended to add one page cover letter when submitting these documents, stating your contact information, case number, and that you are applying for K-1.
What to submit with IR-1/CR-1 Packet 3:
Nothing to be sent to the consulate, NVC sends in all the documents required. You will just need to carry these on the day of interview.
If you have submitted these documents to NVC already, it is not required to carry them. For example, most send in their Marriage and Birth Certificates to NVC, in such scenarios, just carry the copies.
Be sure to register at the VFS website and get the U ID:
1. Document Cover Sheet with Barcode (This is provided to you when IV fee $230.00 is paid online)
2. DS-230 Part I and Part II (Only sign Part I)
3. Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
4. Original or certified copy of Birth Certificate
5. Original or certified copy of Marriage Certificate
6. Police Certificate (s)
7. Marriage Termination Documentation/Divorce Decree, if Petitioner and/or Applicant were married and divorced before this engagement
8. Court and Prison records (If any)
9. Military records (If any)
10. Deportation Documentation (If any)
11. Custody Documentation (If any)
ONE PHOTOCOPY OF EACH OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE
It is also recommended to add one page cover letter when submitting these documents, stating your contact information, case number, and that you are applying for CR-1/IR-1.
For detailed information related to the above list of documents, you may go to:
Other Forms (if any)?
||Obtain the following documents on this checklist with pertain to you. DO NOT send them to this office. The documents are reqd at the time of interview.
A booth inside the consulate in the waiting area offers Photographs to be taken and they charge 100 Rs for 2. Photocopies of douments can be taken at 3 Rs per copy.
1. Passports (carry if you have any old expired ones too, if available)
2. Birth Certificates
3. Unobtainable Birth Certificate / notarized affidavit from parents
4. Photographs (two color photos... if you forget these, there is a booth available in the waiting area. You can get them taken for 100 Rs each)
5. Marriage Certificates (certified copy) of Petitioner and/or Applicant if one or both were married earlier
6. Divorce decree (notarized), if Petitioner and/or Applicant were married and divorced before this engagement
7. Evidence of relationship (letters, emails, photos, engagement evidentce)
8. Police Records (different from PCC, do not confuse it with PCC. This is required if you are a foreigner and are currently residing in India. It is required for only such people from local district Police stations.)
9. Court and Prison records
10. Military records
11. Evidence of support -- Form I-134 and most recent year's tax returns
12. Translations in English required.
13. Medical Examination (DO NOT bring your X-Rays)
14. Police clearance certification (PCC for Indians residing in India needs to be obtained from the Passport Seva Kendra. If you have lived abroad at given time for more than a year at a stretch, you will PCC from that country too.)
"In order to get an interview date, the applicant must give an certification that all of the above items that pertain to him / her have been gathered and are in possession to request an interview. (See 'What forms should be send back to the Consulate?')" ********* THIS IS NO LONGER VALID. Once you get the email from NVC with the PDF stating interview date, you are good to go.
Consulate offers Direct Consular Filing?
If so, for all or only for US citizen who is lawfully resident in your country?
Can fiance(e)/spouse attend the interview?
Visa fee payment "same day" or "in advance"?
Did the embassy schedule your interview or could you walk-in?
Visa issued same day?
If not whats the waiting period?
||2-3 days after visa approval.
Is the Medical exam same day as interview?
||Prior to Interview
Cost of Medical Exam?
||Min Rs. 2000 to Rs.4000, Additional costs may vary based on vaccination records available.
List of doctors?
||The Consulate has updated the whole list of medical hospitals which can carry out medical tests. The costs of each test has been changed. Please the see the consulate website for regular updates as they take place every 3 to 6 months.
List of Mumbai-area panel physicians and their fees you may go to:
The Consulate has updated the pdf file at below location:
How many Passport Photo's Required for the medical?
How many Passport Photo's Required at the interview?
Estimated waiting time at the consulate on the day of interview?
||1 - 3 hours hours
||Depends on the Doctor and your age.
Cheap and good hotels near the Consulate?
||Not cheap, but good:
Hotel Sofitel Mumbai BKC
Trident, Bandra Kurla (Best!!! Consulate is in the same block as hotel. Bit expensive, but worth the stay.)
||Main landmarks around consulate are Mahalaxmi Temple, Haji Ali, Haji Ali Juice Centre, Cadbury House, Heera Panna shopping mall, Crossroads Mall.
Good getaways include: Gateway of India, Elephant Island. Haji Ali, Siddi Vinayaka Temple.