shreddoggie

Matching names concern

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance has an issue and we are not sure if it is a problem or not and if it is how we may solve it. The names on her passport and birth certificate do not exactly match - the error is a ridiculous small one but with the state of international paranoia and bureaucracy it could be an issue:

Monaliza XXX

Mona Liza XXX

thus it appears that on one she has only 2 names with no middle name and on the other she has a 'different' first name and a middle name. While any normal person can clearly identify what has happened due to an error in her home country by some clerk in the passport office - it may be enough to be a problem for us. She would simply go get it fixed except she lives in the Philippines and doing so is much easier said than done.

Anyone with any thoughts about what to do please help us! It occurs to me that I should visit my local consulate, immigration office, an immigration attorney, or hire one for here there - in all cases it is time consuming and it would be great to start in the right place rather than have each red tape machine tell me "You need to go elsewhere"

Thank you everybody! God Bless.

p.s. no mention of a birth certificate requirement is listed here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/fiance-k-1.html#6

Required Documentation

You, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e), (and eligible children applying for K-2 visas) will be required to bring the following forms and documents to the visa interview:

• Completed Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. You (and any eligible children applying for K-4 visas) must: (1) complete Form DS-160 and (2) print the DS-160 confirmation page to bring to your intervew.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S. (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).
  • Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s) for both you and the U.S. citizen sponsor
  • Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)
  • Medical examination (vaccinations are optional, see below)
  • Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be requested)
  • Two (2) 2x2 photographs. See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements
  • Evidence of relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e)
  • Payment of fees, as explained below
Edited by shreddoggie

She needs her NSO birth certificate at interview level though. This is the k1 visa interview requirements:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/feb2015/K1-K2%20Applicant%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_February%202015_.pdf

IMO passport is easier to change in the Philippines than the birth certificate, so you might want to go back and have that corrected. And since its a clerical error, I think they might do it free of charge (dont quote me on that).

Edited by iammrsregie

• 10 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OP - when you get a chance, :time: It helps everyone that uses, or is helped by the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.