LadyG11

Question about I693 for K1 visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi, i am a K1 visa holder and i already submitted my application of AOS. I already did my biometrics, and now i just received a notice from uscis that i didn't submit a completed and signed form of I693. I have read before submitting my AOS that if you are a K1 visa holder you need not to file for i693 as long as you applied for your AOS within a year that you arrived in the US and the only thing to submit is the DS 3025 and that is what i did. The notice said that if i receive an interview notice i must bring my updated form i 693 in my interview appoint. My question is does that mean i need to do the whole medical exam again just to complete that I693 form?i completed my medical before in the Phil.

Edited by LadyG11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is one of those general letters they have been sending out to tell people they will need an I-693 later if they do not send one with the I-485. However, this should not apply to someone adjusting from a K-1. You may or may not get an RFE for the I-693 if not interviewing, or at the interview, if the IO has no clue about the policies for a K-1 adjuster.

See this post about the USCIS policies > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/555299-medical-will-expire-before-the-aos-interview/?p=7703568

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

So what should i do then? I will go to a civil surgeon to let my I693 signed? They are asking me in the later part to submit a completed and signed I693,so should i go to a civil surgeon to let it be done so as to comply with their request? What should i asked then to the civil surgeon to do? Just to transcribed my vaccination card to the form I 693 and then their sign?

Edited by LadyG11

Timeline

I personally would not get one unless I receive an RFE asking for one, or the IO at the interview(if you have one) asks for it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

In the notice that they sent me , it says that if i receive an interview notice in the mail, i must bring my updated form i693 to the interview; or if my case doesn't require an interview, i will receive an RFE for form I693 with instructions where to send it. That i think really requires me to have that form I693, my question now is that what would i tell the civil surgeon to do?or should i call the NCSC for my case to clarify which thing will i be letting the civil surgeon to sign in my I693?thank you kaydeecee

Timeline

That notice is not an RFE. It is a general blanket letter that gets sent to everyone lately that does not include the I-693 with their I-485. They have changed the policies about how long the I-693 medical exam is valid for, so people have been able to send the I-485 without one so their medical is done closer to their interview date. This is not supposed to pertain to a K-1 adjuster, as the info in the link I posted above shows you. Most people applying for AOS require the full medical from a civil surgeon, but this is not the case for someone adjusting from a K-1. However, they send that letter to everyone, regardless of what they are adjusting from.

If you want to go ahead and get one, then do it. It is your money. Get just the vaccinations transcribed, as anyone adjusting from a K-1 needs to do when they are missing vaccinations from their DS-3025. Plenty of posts here on the subject. Or, you can go ahead and pay for a whole new medical too, but if you get an interview waiver and your case takes more than a year to adjudicate, then it is still possible you could be asked for another medical to be done because the medical would have expired before your approval.

This is why I suggest to wait and only get one if you are directly instructed to through an actual RFE, or get told in person at an interview to provide one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.