chloe

Parental Responsibility Info

89 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hi all, I've been offline for a bit, so if I missed any Congratulations, well Congratulations!!!!!!!

Thought I'd post this info, for anyone with children, so you can prepare for the interview.

As a few of you know, at my interview, I was asked to provide a solicitors letter stating that I am the only parent with Parental Responsibility and that my daughter's father doesnt have it, even though his name is on the birth cert, ( we were unmarried).

I researched a bit, and found that all records of Parental Responsiblity agreements are held at the following place :

Principal Registry of the Family Division

First Avenue House

42 - 49 High Holborn

London

WC1V 6NP

020 7947 6214

For a fee of £25.00, they check on the central index and provide you with a letter stating what records (if any) are held for your child.

I waited approx 5 minutes to get this letter, no appointment necessary.

You can also send a cheque, and the letter is sent to you within 3 days.

Once I provided my solicitor with this, he was happy to write the letter, (for £200!!!)

soooo...hopefully things will start moving.

Apparently, I have to send the documents with my passports, via SMS, so fingers crossed, this means (hopefully), they will issues us the visas.

Just thought I post this, so maybe others coming up to their interviews can be prepared.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!

xchloe

Edited by chloe

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

Filed: Timeline
Hi all, I've been offline for a bit, so if I missed any Congratulations, well Congratulations!!!!!!!

Thought I'd post this info, for anyone with children, so you can prepare for the interview.

As a few of you know, at my interview, I was asked to provide a solicitors letter stating that I am the only parent with Parental Responsibility and that my daughter's father doesnt have it, even though his name is on the birth cert, ( we were unmarried).

I researched a bit, and found that all records of Parental Responsiblity agreements are held at the following place :

Principal Registry of the Family Division

First Avenue House

42 - 49 High Holborn

London

WC1V 6NP

020 7947 6214

For a fee of £25.00, they check on the central index and provide you with a letter stating what records (if any) are held for your child.

I waited approx 5 minutes to get this letter, no appointment necessary.

You can also send a cheque, and the letter is sent to you within 3 days.

Once I provided my solicitor with this, he was happy to write the letter, (for £200!!!)

soooo...hopefully things will start moving.

Apparently, I have to send the documents with my passports, via SMS, so fingers crossed, this means (hopefully), they will issues us the visas.

Just thought I post this, so maybe others coming up to their interviews can be prepared.

Good luck to everyone!!!!!!

xchloe

I contacted the Embassy last week and spoke to a lady who said that an affidavit would be sufficient as long as it had the following information:

1) That I was not married to the father & when the relationship ended

2) The fathers name D.O.B

3) My Daughter's name D.O.B

4) And level of contact the father has had over the years.

She also told me to email the embassy if i still needed further reasurance in the matter, which i did , so hopefully if they send me a reply I hope its in time for the visa interview so I can take a copy of there response :)

Thank You for that info, if i get any problems I will use it :)

Edited by Nikki71

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Chloe - I hope you both have your visas soon!!

And thanks for sharing this information with the group! Hopefully it will help someone else to avoid the delays that you have experienced!!

Excellent info Chloe.......once you send it off, i am sure that you will not be waiting long.........good luck

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for posting this Chloe. There is a complete lack of information available from the UK consulate regarding parental responsibility AND the steps you need to take to satisfy the USCIS.

Every little helps!

Good luck with your letter aswell, keep us posted on how it all goes.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
May not be a bad idea to 'pin' this topic.

I agree.

hi everyone,

i am slightly concerned now after reading this as i have 3 children from 2 seperate relationships.

i have consent from both fathers to remove the children from the jurisdiction to live.

i have parental responsibility over my 2 youngest children.

i have not got anything to show parental resposibility on my eldest but his father is not on the birth certificate. will the embassy still want to see that i have parental responsibility over my eldest or is wot i have enough??

thanks sam xxx

K1 TIMELINE

03/29/2007 - sent petition I129F

04/02/2007 - recieved at TSC

04/06/2007 - NOA1 issued

04/12/2007 - check cashed

04/14/2007 - NOA1 letter recieved

04/14/2007 - touched

06/07/2007 - touched (change of address)

06/08/2007 - touched (change of address)

06/10/2007 - touched (change of address)

06/15/2007 - touched due to phonecalls to csc.

06/16/2007 - another touch due to phonecalls on 15th!!!

07/25/2007 - APPROVED!!!!!!

08/06/2007 - NVC recieved

08/11/2007 - letter received from NVC saying send to London within a week

08/13/2007 - London recieves petition and sends out Packet 3

08/16/2007 - recieved and sent back packet 3

09/06/2007 - medical!!

09/12/2007 - INTERVIEW

09/18/2007 - Additional papers collected by courier

09/26/2007 - Visas delivered by courier!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

We have had an over 2 year long court deal with my middle son's biological mother. She left him when he was 2 months old, and decided she wanted back in his life when I was the one he chose to call mummy. We've had to jump through hoops to accomodate her, and since we finally had our day and court and won the case, she hasn't visited him once in 6 months while we've been doing all the visa filing. We not only needed the parental responsibility papers, we had to go to court to get permission from her as she decided to contest it. As I said though, she chose to go for visitation when she found out my husband and I were together, and was not previously involved in our son's life at all.

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

I phoned the State Department regarding this, (I was never married to my son's father) and they said he could just write a letter, didn't have to be witnessed by a lawyer.....Would love to hear other people's experiences...

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline
I phoned the State Department regarding this, (I was never married to my son's father) and they said he could just write a letter, didn't have to be witnessed by a lawyer.....Would love to hear other people's experiences...

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but I was never married to my son's father and the written letter from him wasn't enough. They wanted a notarised letter from him instead.

Additionally, I was told everything was okay during the interview and that the visa was being issued. Two days later I got a letter from them requesting the notarised letter.

I'd say this to anyone, if you still have contact with your child's biological father (and he is approachable to the idea), for the sake of 70 quid...just get a notarised letter done.

Hi there,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I've been worried about this issue with my daughter. Her father is not mentioned on the birth certificate and has only seen her once since she was born (she is now 3). My OH and I are using an immigration lawyer to process our K1 and he has never mentioned anything about getting an official letter from anyone about parental consent... should I get one somehow anyway? I'd hate to trip up somewhere!!! :blink:

Thanks x

Edited by wellywench

I-175 Timeline

June 22nd 2010 - Package sent

June 23rd 2010 - Package received CSC by M Guerrero

June 23rd 2010 - NOA

August 17th 2010 - Biometrics

September 17th 2010 - Approved!!!

Timeline
Hi there,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I've been worried about this issue with my daughter. Her father is not mentioned on the birth certificate and has only seen her once since she was born (she is now 3). My OH and I are using an immigration lawyer to process our K1 and he has never mentioned anything about getting an official letter from anyone about parental consent... should I get one somehow anyway? I'd hate to trip up somewhere!!! :blink:

Thanks x

If he is not mentioned on the BC and has had no contact with her then I don't think it is a problem. However, seeing as you actually have a lawyer it would be good to mention your fears to him/her and ask some questions regarding this issue. After all...this IS what you are paying him/her for! ;)

Edited by mags

I will do thank you! :D

I-175 Timeline

June 22nd 2010 - Package sent

June 23rd 2010 - Package received CSC by M Guerrero

June 23rd 2010 - NOA

August 17th 2010 - Biometrics

September 17th 2010 - Approved!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.