sunshine886

Birth Certificate Question!! Please help!!!

13 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am in the process of filing AOS. I was born in 1978 when there was no Birth Certificated issued in China. I have been researching about this topic. I am just wondering if my understanding about the precedures to get a Notarized Birth Certificate is correct. Firstly, I need to go to Police Station to ask for a Chu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu. Secondly, I need to go to Notarial Public Office to get notarization. Could anyboy be so kind to confirm or correct me if I am wrong? Many thanks in advances!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum to China regional forum; topic is country specific. Duplicate thread removed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

That's basically it, but you don't necessarily need to be the one to do it. Anyone on your hukou can (and it typically needs to be in your hukou city). When my wife needed hers, we had her dad get it so she wouldn't have to fly back to China. We just had to send him a couple passport photos and her National ID Card. When it's all done, you will have a packet with four pages in a white cover (frequently called a "white book" on these boards). The booklet will have a page in Chinese attesting to your birth and parentage (with your photograph), an English translation of this page, a Chinese page attesting to the credentials and accuracy of the translation, and an English translation of the attestation. You should also see if you can get a copy of your old vaccination records (sometimes called a "yellow book") if you don't have one already.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Timeline

waiting for an anwer!!!! thanks!!!

Welcome to the forum.

It seems that you received an answer to your frequently asked China-specific question.. Another good source of China-specific information is the pinned thread at the top of the China Regional Forum page, Chinese Marriage Visa Terms & Definitions: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/393969-chinese-marriage-visa-terms-and-definitions/

When you obtain your Notarial Certificates, consider getting several copies at that time. It is much easier to obtain them while in China, then to have to obtain them when living in the US.

YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum.

It seems that you received an answer to your frequently asked China-specific question.. Another good source of China-specific information is the pinned thread at the top of the China Regional Forum page, Chinese Marriage Visa Terms & Definitions: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/393969-chinese-marriage-visa-terms-and-definitions/

When you obtain your Notarial Certificates, consider getting several copies at that time. It is much easier to obtain them while in China, then to have to obtain them when living in the US.

YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey

My family just got my Notarial Certificate. I do not quite understand what do you mean by "getting several copies at that time". Can i copy notarial certificate by myself if i need it in the future???

thank you very much!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

nah - they can order multiples of the document.

they received quantity 1.

they could have ordered quantity 3.

each white book is actually an original. so they could have ordered 3 originals.

----

as i understand it, you only need a photocopy of your birth certificate to file . Since that's the case, your parents can get into a copy shop nearby, have the clerk scan all pages to PDF file, email the PDF file to you, you print it out and use it in your Adjustment of status submission (saving transit time from EMS) .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

nah - they can order multiples of the document.

they received quantity 1.

they could have ordered quantity 3.

each white book is actually an original. so they could have ordered 3 originals.

----

as i understand it, you only need a photocopy of your birth certificate to file . Since that's the case, your parents can get into a copy shop nearby, have the clerk scan all pages to PDF file, email the PDF file to you, you print it out and use it in your Adjustment of status submission (saving transit time from EMS) .

thank you very much for your reply!!!!

I do not quite understand. Technically, notarized birth certificate is not birth certificate. I am not sure if i can use the photocopy of notarization certificate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

recheck yer premise, soon.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I do not quite understand. Technically, notarized birth certificate is not birth certificate. I am not sure if i can use the photocopy of notarization certificate.

It's the document that everyone who has gone through this process has used. Photocopy all four pages of the document and send them in with your application. Keep the originals for yourself.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Timeline

I don't think that I would necessarily infer western application of terms to the documents that you mention. Since technically, people born while the hukou system was in use do not necessarily have birth certificates, many only have a listing in that ancient family registration system. The system/documents/usage that are being employed has been accepted by the US Departments of State and Homeland Security for immigration purposes. The ancient Chinese hukou system was only recently abolished.

I made a suggestion to get additional White Books (Notarial Certificates) prepared at the same time as that later on when your Chinese family member is in the US, it may be more difficult to obtain any required White Books from China. When possible, always provide a photocopy of all pages of the White Book, bring the original to the interview for comparison by the interviewer.

When my family was attempting to obtain Washington State ID cards, we provided photocopies of each of their White Book "birth certificates." Initially, the examiner would not accept the White Book. However, after further consultation with her supervisor, the examiner did accept the White Book "birth certificates." My family was eventually issued their State ID cards.

Take a look at these two good links about Notary services in China and Notarial Certificates.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html

http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/eoir/legacy/2014/10/06/CHN103503.E.pdf

YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.