RF_COK/JFK

Filing taxes while waiting on spouse visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi guys! I read so many different answers to my ques, now Idk what I should do? What is the correct way of filing taxes when your spouse is not in the us (meaning were in the process of our ir/cr) I asked my accountant and two others, they're all telling me to apply as single, since he doesn't have a Ssn and then amend once he gets here. Does any one have any experience doing paper filing and putting nra? Read somewhere that they longer accept that? How did ppl with a case as mine file? (I know I have to file as married, but since my accountant is telling me this im confused) thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

here's what we did:

1. chased an ITIN w/form W-7, filing a paper return into the special IRS office in Austin TX

2. filed married filing jointly.

3. included a cover letter stating that we were electing for her to be classified as a resident alien for tax purposes with the 1040 submittal.

study the ID requirements for the W-7, carefully.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

Ah - Darnell beat me to it.

For the W7 you will need a primary document, like a passport. Ideally, one would present or send in the original passport with the application. However, IRS will accept a certified copy which is a copy certified by the original document's issuing authority.

This really is the cleanest option.

You are married - so MFJ and MFS are the only options available to you, with HOH under very limited circumstances.

Timeline

Thanks guys for your help, I was trying to avoid getting ITIN, since there's only one month left is that enought time to get the certified copy and get ITIN? Is there another way? Someone said to file via taxact? Sure diyap I will let u know

Thanks guys for your help, I was trying to avoid getting ITIN, since there's only one month left is that enought time to get the certified copy and get ITIN? Is there another way? Someone said to file via taxact? Sure diyap I will let u know

With express shipping, sure it is enough time.

Never used taxact. Usually without an SSN or ITIN, you need to file a paper return. It's quite easy though.

The issue with MFS or S is that your tax burden needs to be paid by April 15th, even if you file for an extension to file the tax return (note there is NO extension for payment of the tax itself, only the filing of the return). Presumably you would have a higher tax burden when filing MFS or S. Depending on how taxes have been withheld for the year, you may find yourself paying to satisfy the tax burden (and avoid penalties) and then when amended as MFJ receive a refund (most likely).

If the tax has already been paid (ie, you will owe nothing on April 15th), then I would even consider filing a few weeks late if that's what I needed to receive the ITIN documentation. If the tax is paid, there is no tax penalty and if you file the return within 60 days of April 15th then you would even avoid the $135 late filing penalty. So, if your tax burden is paid on time, you effectively have another 60 days to get your ITIN documentation together. Note, if you do owe tax, you can send in a tax payment without filing a tax return, as long as you do it by April 15th.

I have the same doubt.. plz rohinifenu let me know how you file.. according to my lawyer filing as single ia okay

Except that when you sign a federal tax return you are agreeing to the statement there that the information you are providing is accurate and truthful.

How can that be truthful if you are filing as 'single' whilst you are 'married' and do not fit within the IRS definition of 'unmarried' ?

In practice, IRS isn't going to come after someone for filing S when they should have filed under some other category, after all, S usually results in a higher tax burdern. It still doesn't make it right though.

A lawyer suggesting filing single is only suggesting so in the interest of time. An adjudicating officer at AOS or embassy could question your tax declaration of single status whilst petitioning for a spouse.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Thanks guys for all the replies! Really appreciate it, so this is what the new accountant that I saw recommends... To do paper filling and put nra where ssn number goes, I'm filling as married filling separately... Attaching a letter as well as a copy of the marriage certificate... She said I will get a response back within a month, Hope this works .... She wasn't too fond of doing married filling jointly with itin Cuz it's a bit more work getting my husbands tax papers from India and he might get taxed here and there in India too? I think I'll stick to her recommendations... Really really appreciate you all getting back to my post! Thanks again

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Just want to let anyone else who will be looking for this info in the future ... I did paper filing put nra under ssn and married filling separately... My accountant also wrote a letter explaining the situation as well as a copy of my marriage certificate. I got my refund in about 3 weeks...thanks guys for all the help ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.