rbrck

do i need to get more shot ? pls help

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hey guys im about to file my AOS this month but im just wondering if i need to get shot because when i have my overseas medical before the interview for my k1 visa, MMR is contraindicated for me that time for the reason i was pregnant , so it was written in my DS 3025 it was contraindicated.now my question is since i already give birth , do i still need to get MMR shot ? and varicella also it say contraindicated coz i already had chickenpox and i inform the civil surgeon when i got my medical exam last yr in the Phils, do you think it was written on that sealed envelop of the medical copy i have? or do i need to get this shot also? and bout flu vaccine do i need it too ?

Timeline

and also my medical exam would be expired in nov 25 2014,so im wondering if once my AOS was filed this 2nd week of october to b sure , is my medical is still good by the time i would have my biometrics? thanks in advance guys ..

Yes you will need your shots and need to get your vaccinations transcribed by a civil surgeon. You should have gotten a vaccination sheet during your medical, but if they gave you no vaccinations, they may not have even given you one. You're good on your medical as long as your AOS is accepted before the expiration of your medical.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will need to see a civil surgeon for the missing vaccinations. It is now flu season, so you will also need the flu shot. You do not need to get a new medical if yours was done within a year of filing for AOS. However, please be aware that there was a recent change in the rules regarding the I-693. The medical used to be okay if you filed while it was still valid, but now the medical needs to be valid at the time your case is processed. So, by the time they get around to processing your case for approval, your medical will be past the year expiration mark. They could possibly ask you for a new medical then.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

i have my record on my vaccine during my medical , as what i said ds 3025 MMR = contraindicated, varicella= contraindicated, then even flu vaccine, do i hav to get it done first before i would file for my aos? or i dont hav to as long as my medical and vacine that i got i the phils is good till nov

sorry i get confuse

how much do u thinnk are you looking for the medical to get than including the vaccines?

This varies depending on what the civil surgeon you see wants to charge. Rates for civil surgeon services are not dictated by the government. It is good to shop around.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

You will need to see a civil surgeon for the missing vaccinations. It is now flu season, so you will also need the flu shot. You do not need to get a new medical if yours was done within a year of filing for AOS. However, please be aware that there was a recent change in the rules regarding the I-693. The medical used to be okay if you filed while it was still valid, but now the medical needs to be valid at the time your case is processed. So, by the time they get around to processing your case for approval, your medical will be past the year expiration mark. They could possibly ask you for a new medical then.

Do you have a reference to this rule change. Last I looked, there was no change in procedure needing the medical valid when they adjudicate the AOS. Doesn't make a lot of sense either, as there are times they take over a year to adjudicate AOS cases.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-issues-new-policy-form-i-693-report-medical-examination-and-vaccination-record

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Updates/20140530-I-693Validity.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/i-693

Note: To ensure the results of the medical examination are still valid at the time USCIS adjudicates the associated benefit application, applicants should schedule the medical examination as close as possible to the time they file for adjustment of status, respond to a Request for Evidence, or attend an interview (if applicable). Applicants should, however, also provide sufficient time for the performance of laboratory testing or additional testing required under CDC's Technical Instructions. For more information on the validity of Form I-693, see the USCIS Policy Manual Volume 8, Part B, Chapter 4.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

The medical examination report was submitted to USCIS less than one year after completion of the examination​;​ [22] < This would be the date of the NOA1 for the AOS.

The benefit application​ [23] is adjudicated no more than one year after the date the medical examination report was submitted to USCIS​;​ [24] and​

The medical examination report establishes that the applicant does not have a Class ​A​ medical condition and has complied with the vaccination requirements or is granted a waiver.​ [25]

​Again within a year of submitting the medical examination report, which would be the AOS NOA1 date. I don't see how this says the AOS must be adjudicated within one year of the medical date.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

This seems to have been a confusing topic recently. I was RFE'd at AOS interview for an out-of-date I693 - it was 5 days over the 1 year at the interview date. It seems like they're referring to this communication http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Updates/20140530-I-693Validity.pdf

The document states that the extension over 1 year that was permitted in certain circumstances no longer applies. As the RFEs are coming at interview, it would seem that they are using the interview date as the review date. In the case of K-1 visa holders who have had the medical before the initial K-1 interview, it is easily possible for the I693 to be over a year old at the AOS interview date and, as a result, they are asking for updated forms.

I have no idea if the communication is being read rightly or wrongly or differently by different offices. All I know is that it seems to be turning into a fairly frequent RFE and looking at the documents linked, that seems to be the only possible reason for it suddenly becoming an issue. All I do know for sure is that, in the overall scheme of things and the length of time, the cost and the stress of the whole process it isn't worth risking a late RFE for the sake of the relatively small payment to get a new form. My replacement I693 was submitted almost a month ago and I'm still waiting to find out if my AOS is approved or not - stressful to say the least. And all because I didn't know the rules had changed. If you think your form is going to be out of date or missing vaccinations, I'd go get a new one sorted in advance rather than go through the additional wait time and hassle late in the process.

Timeline

The medical examination report was submitted to USCIS less than one year after completion of the examination​;​ [22] < This would be the date of the NOA1 for the AOS.

The benefit application​ [23] is adjudicated no more than one year after the date the medical examination report was submitted to USCIS​;​ [24] and​

The medical examination report establishes that the applicant does not have a Class ​A​ medical condition and has complied with the vaccination requirements or is granted a waiver.​ [25]

​Again within a year of submitting the medical examination report, which would be the AOS NOA1 date. I don't see how this says the AOS must be adjudicated within one year of the medical date.

All three of those requirements must be met. They are separated by 'and', not 'or'. You skipped over the second one, 'The benefit application​ is adjudicated no more than one year after the date the medical examination report was submitted to USCIS​' <-- It states right there that the application needs to be adjudicated no more than one year after the date the medical exam was submitted.

So, if you get your medical in Nov.. and file in Feb., but then the I-485 is not adjudicated until 10 months later in Dec., the medical will be out of date by a month and a new one will be needed. They used to accept the medicals if they were unexpired at the time of submission. They are no longer accepting the medical past its one year expiration when the AOS is adjudicated after the medical has expired. They have already began asking people for new ones. The person posting their experience in this thread with an RFE at the interview for a new medical is not the first since this new policy came out.

Background

Prior to 2002, Form I-693 was considered valid and sufficient for admissibility purposes as long

as the form was reviewed within one year from the date of the civil surgeon’s signature. In 2002,

USCIS (then legacy INS), in consultation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

(CDC), extended the validity of the civil surgeon endorsement on Form I-693 beyond the one year

threshold in certain circumstances. The extension has been continuously renewed on an

annual basis since 2002.

In response to concerns raised by CDC, USCIS is revising its policy relating to the validity of the

medical examination report submitted by the applicant, to include discontinuing the annual

extension policy. The revised policy becomes effective on June 1, 2014, and applies to any Form

I-693 supporting a benefit application adjudicated on or after that date.

Policy Highlights

Limits the validity period of Form I-693 to one year from time of submission to USCIS.

So we're looking at USCIS requiring completely new physicals because they are slow to act on I-485 submissions. I still can't see how the links you're giving supports this.

Note 24 even says

​USCIS will use the date that USCIS received the ​Form I-693​ to determine whether the medical examination report is more than one year old at time of adjudication of the benefit application​. Although the medical examination report is generally valid for adjudicatory purposes up to one year after filing, ​the officer may ​order​ a​n additional immigration​ medical examination​ ​at any time if he or she has concerns as to an applicants inadmissibility on health-related grounds​. For more information, see ​Chapter 11, Inadmissibility Determination​, ​Section C, ​Other​ Information​ [​8 USCIS-PM B.11©​].​

Also there are the special rules for K-1's where they don't even need to submit form I-693

Special rules may apply to certain foreign nationals who were examined overseas, including certain ​nonimmigrant ​fiancé(​e)s ​or spouses ​of U.S. citizens ​(​K visa​), ​spouses ​of​ lawful permanent residents​ (V visa), refugees, and asylee dependents. Such foreign nationals usually do not need to repeat the full medical exam in the United States for purposes of adjustment of status.​ [26] ​

If they're getting RFE's for a properly completed DS-3025, I can only see it as something USCIS is doing in error.

I also can't agree with your claim of submission being at the time of the medical. The submission of the I-693 is determined by other factors and is shown in the document you pointed out.

"Timing of the Submission of​ the Medical Examination Report​

The medical examination report may be submitted to USCIS:​

Concurrently with the immigration benefit application; or​

At any time after filing the immigration benefit application but prior to the adjudication of that application; if not filed concurrently with the immigration benefit application, USCIS encourages applicants to wait until USCIS requests the medical examination report before submitting it.​ [28]"

All three of those requirements must be met. They are separated by 'and', not 'or'. You skipped over the second one, 'The benefit application​ is adjudicated no more than one year after the date the medical examination report was submitted to USCIS​' <-- It states right there that the application needs to be adjudicated no more than one year after the date the medical exam was submitted.

So, if you get your medical in Nov.. and file in Feb., but then the I-485 is not adjudicated until 10 months later in Dec., the medical will be out of date by a month and a new one will be needed. They used to accept the medicals if they were unexpired at the time of submission. They are no longer accepting the medical past its one year expiration when the AOS is adjudicated after the medical has expired. They have already began asking people for new ones. The person posting their experience in this thread with an RFE at the interview for a new medical is not the first since this new policy came out.

Background

Prior to 2002, Form I-693 was considered valid and sufficient for admissibility purposes as long

as the form was reviewed within one year from the date of the civil surgeons signature. In 2002,

USCIS (then legacy INS), in consultation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

(CDC), extended the validity of the civil surgeon endorsement on Form I-693 beyond the one year

threshold in certain circumstances. The extension has been continuously renewed on an

annual basis since 2002.

In response to concerns raised by CDC, USCIS is revising its policy relating to the validity of the

medical examination report submitted by the applicant, to include discontinuing the annual

extension policy. The revised policy becomes effective on June 1, 2014, and applies to any Form

I-693 supporting a benefit application adjudicated on or after that date.

Policy Highlights

Limits the validity period of Form I-693 to one year from time of submission to USCIS.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

This is talking about the validity period of Form I-693, not the medical received overseas. When it refers to the "medical examination report", it is referring to Form I-693. So if you are submitting Form I-693, then yes your AOS must be adjudicated within one year, or you will need a new Form I-693. If, however, you do not submit a Form I-693, there is nothing that states the medical you received overseas, which is turned in at POE, will be invalid after one year. A K-1 adjusting status is not required to submit Form I-693 as long as they have a properly completed DS-3025. As such, this one year limitation on the I-693 does not apply.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

From the USCIS policy manual, regarding specifically to K-1 adjustment applicants: http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter3.html

4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment​ [26] See INA 245 and 8 CFR 245.

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:​

The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or ​

The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions.​ [27] See 8 CFR 245.5.

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class ​A​ medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application.​ [28] See Volume 9, Waivers, Part C, Waivers for Health-Related Grounds of Inadmissibility [9 USCIS-PM C] for more information on medical waivers.

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician. ​

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).​

If the applicant was granted a change of status to V in the United States,​ [29] Under INA 214(q). the medical examination report completed by the civil surgeon should be in the A-file created at the time that the change of status was initially granted. ​

No where does it state here that your medical overseas is invalid after one year. It merely states that you do not have to repeat the medical if the AOS application was FILED within one year of the medical.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.