Tina and Johan

Some AOS K2 clarifying questions...

7 posts in this topic

I'm still in the process of gathering the stuff to send off to USCIS in August, but I want as few delays as possible post-marriage. Please tell me if this info is correct (I'm basing my info on the guides here and the K2 pinned post):

~K2 needs all the same documents that go with K1's AOS for I-485, including a copy of our marriage cert, 2 passport photos, form I-693, his own copy of form I94, etc?

~K2 does need to also have his own I-765 if we want to get him his own SSN# (tax purposes; he's only 10 right now)?

~K2 doesn't need extra copies of my tax stuff, just a copy of the I-864 I filled out for his father, with him listed on the form?

~K2's fee is still $635, and NOT $985? Do I mention this somewhere? Do I put an itemized tally sheet for the cost of each thing the payment is for? Per the guides, I want to send ONE check.

thank you in advance for the information on this website. It's so helpful! (I just worry that reading a post from 2006 will now be outdated and wrong)

Tina

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here is a redacted copy of my stepson's AOS application packet cover letter. I paid with one check for both K1 and K2 applications, hence the mention of the check at the top of the letter. I hope that the cover letter will help you determine what you should likely include.

August 18, 2012

USCIS

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: Immediate Relative (Minor, Son) Family Based Adjustment of Status (AOS) Application

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed please find the completed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, for my minor son, XXXXXX [K-2, derivative applicant], associated forms and supporting documents as follows:

· Applications and biometrics fees, paid by personal check, in the amount of $2140, for both applications

· Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

· Copy of all pages of XXXXXX Chinese passport, including bio page, K-2 visa and I-94 (both sides)

· Copy of Form I-797, I-129F petition approval of US spouse and alien relative (mother)

· Copy of XXXXXXX birth certificate, with English translation (Notarial Certificate)

· Copy of Certified Marriage certificate of US spouse and alien relative (mother)

· Form G-325A, Biographic Information of XXXXX

· Six Passport photos of XXXXXXX

· Form I-693, Sealed Medical Report of Civil Surgeon

· Form I-864, Affidavit of Support (supporting documents included with principal application)

· Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

· Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with Supplemental Page

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX

HTH, Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

To follow-up:

I'm still in the process of gathering the stuff to send off to USCIS in August, but I want as few delays as possible post-marriage. Please tell me if this info is correct (I'm basing my info on the guides here and the K2 pinned post):

~K2 needs all the same documents that go with K1's AOS for I-485, including a copy of our marriage cert, 2 passport photos, form I-693, his own copy of form I94, etc? See first posting

~K2 does need to also have his own I-765 if we want to get him his own SSN# (tax purposes; he's only 10 right now)? Get it now, no extra cost.

~K2 doesn't need extra copies of my tax stuff, just a copy of the I-864 I filled out for his father, with him listed on the form? see first posting.

~K2's fee is still $635, and NOT $985?Check this link: http://www.uscis.gov/i-485. Do I mention this somewhere? See first posting. Do I put an itemized tally sheet for the cost of each thing the payment is for? Per the guides, I want to send ONE check. see first posting

thank you in advance for the information on this website. It's so helpful! (I just worry that reading a post from 2006 will now be outdated and wrong) No worries, that is what we successfully used in 2012.

Tina

Understand your rationale for wanting to get the AOS going promptly. We sent our application packets in a little over 2 weeks from POE arrival and marriage. Wife's cover letter was same format, but expanded where necessary.

Good luck.

Edited by A&B

To follow-up:

Understand your rationale for wanting to get the AOS going promptly. We sent our application packets in a little over 2 weeks from POE arrival and marriage. Wife's cover letter was same format, but expanded where necessary.

Good luck.

A&B, thank you so much for the itemized answers and follow up. :) I appreciate it very much. :) I will definitely model our cover letters after yours.

Tina

K1 Visa timeline:

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

Timeline

We sent the whole wad o' papers, applications, documents, etc. via USPS return receipt requested/delivery confirmation to the Chicago PO Box address.

• 1 month later...

We sent ours out today. What a weight lifted! Thank you again for the advice and the examples. I appreciate it.

Tina

K1 Visa timeline:

Timeline

Congratulations!! You made the big step toward getting the Green Cards. It certainly is a great weight off of your shoulders. I am glad that you found our information helpful to you. Wishing you good luck for a prompt adjudication. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.