Sukie

Updated Australia Police Certification info - May 2014

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I thought I would pass on this info, because there have been quite a few changes over the last few years. I received a checklist on May 7, 2014, with the following instructions. There is info specific to each State, as well as if you are applying from overseas.

Please note: If you are applying from NSW or QLD, your PCC will be sent DIRECTLY to the US Consulate in Sydney (for immigrant visas). NVC knows this.

Sukie

______CORRESPONDENCE INSTRUCTIONS:_________________________________
When responding to the National Visa Center, please include the bar code sheet that came with this
letter. Failure to include the bar code sheet may cause a delay in the processing of your case. The bar
code sheet should be placed on top of all documents being submitted for this case and mailed to the
address provided.

______AUSTRALIA POLICE CERT AVAILABLE TO APPLICANT:________________
Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years and older. Applicants are required to
apply for a Police certificate ensuring that the certificate addresses all known names and/or aliases.
If you reside outside Australia
For information on how and where to apply, please refer to http://www.afp.gov.au/.
If you reside in Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Includes nationwide fingerprint check.
Procedures to be followed for visa applicants both inside and outside the country who wish to obtain
clearances:
.. Inside: The applicant may write or apply in person to have his/her fingerprints taken at the City
Police Station, London Circuit. Canberra, Act 2601. Telephone no. (02) 6256-7777.
.. Outside: Applicant must write the station with a formal request using the forms on the AFP website
www.afp.gov.au. Applicants must go to a local police station in their country of residence, acquire a
certified fingerprint form, and send this with an official request to the City Police Station.
For additional information on how and where to apply, please refer to http://www.afp.gov.au/.
If you reside in Northern Territory
Available. Includes nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $60.00 for certificate with fingerprints.
Procedures to be followed for visa applicants both inside and outside the country who wish to obtain
clearances:
.. Inside: Applicant must complete an "Authority to Release Criminal History" form, which is available
by calling 08-8922-3344. The police station may fax it to them once they have received the request.
The applicant would then go to a local police station, acquire certified fingerprints, and send the
forms to:
The Office in Charge
Information Bureau
Berrimah Police Complex
P.O. Box 39764
Winnellie, NT 0821
.. Outside: Applicant may call the police station, request the aforementioned form, and submit it via
mail.
For additional information on how and where to apply, please refer to http://pfes.nt.gov.au/
If you reside in South Australia
Available. Includes nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $86.00 certificate with fingerprints. Procedures
to be followed for visa applicants both inside and outside the country who wish to obtain clearances.
.. Inside: Applicants must obtain a "PD47" form, or an "Application of Personal Information" form
from any police station in South Australia. The form will need to be completed in the presence of a
police member who is required to witness the signature and see appropriate identification. Only a
personal application can be made unless the applicant is in another state or country. They must
contact the Records Release Unit at 08-8204-2455.
.. Outside: If living abroad or in another state, the applicant must call for the form to be sent to them
via fax or mail. They must go to a police station in their locale of residence, have the form certified
by a magistrate or notary public, and send the form and identification to the:
Records Release Unit
Adelaide Police Station
1 Angas Street
Adelaide 5000
If you reside in Tasmania
Available. Includes nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $38.50 for certificate with fingerprints.
clearances:
.. Inside: Applicant may apply in person to have fingerprints taken at any police station within the
state. Applicants must complete a "police clearance application" form at the time of application.
.. Outside: Unlike other states, no form of consent or application is needed when an applicant is
outside Tasmania. All they need is to obtain fingerprints from their country of residence, with a letter
explaining the need for the form, as well as the necessary fee. Application should be sent to:
Commissioner of Police
G.P.O. Box 308c
Hobart, TAS 7001
Tel: 03-6230-2348
For additional information on how and where to apply, please refer to
http://police.tas.gov.au/services-online/police-history-record-checks/
If you reside in Victoria
Available. Includes nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $106.10 for certificate with fingerprints.
clearances:
.. Inside: Applicant must be at least 17 years of age for certificates to be issued. Residents of Victoria
should phone their nearest police station to arrange appointments for fingerprints. Applicants need a
"Consent to Check and Release Criminal Record" form, which may be obtained by calling
Information Services at 1300 881 596. This form, a copy of identification, fingerprints and check or
money order may then be sent to:
Manager
Information Resources Section
Central Records Branch
Victoria Police Center
P.O. Box 418
Melbourne 8005
.. Outside: Applicant must write the station with a formal request, attain the required aforementioned
form, and send a certified copy of his/her fingerprints, identification, and fees to the
above-mentioned address.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=274
If you reside in Western Australia
Certificates are available, but only through the Australian Federal Police (AFP), at the cost of $103.00.
clearances:
.. Inside: Applicant can provide their own fingerprints which is usually completed by the Western
Australia (WA) Police Service (a courtesy type role that WA police provide, however, it is not
specifically their task). If this is the preferred option, the applicant is provided the appropriate
paperwork and contact details for the AFP Canberra office for which the applicant will be required to
send the information, fingerprints and fee.
.. Inside (Alternative): an applicant can have fingerprints taken at the AFP office in Perth for which the
fee is paid and the AFP Perth office facilitates the full process of sending the information,
fingerprints etc to the AFP office in Canberra. To be fingerprinted, an appointment must be
scheduled in advance. The required form may be acquired by calling 02-6256-7777 or through the
AFP's website (http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-poklice-checks.aspx).
.. Outside: Same as above. The only difference is that the applicant must go to a police station in their
country of residence in order to get a fingerprint record. They must send all the aforementioned items
as well as a copy of their passport as proof of identification to AFP Canberra.
For information on how and where to apply, please refer to
http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/News/NationalPoliceCertificates/tabid/1927/Default.aspx
______AUSTRALIA POLICE CERT NSW/QUEENSLAND:________________________
Police Certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years and older. Applicants are required
to apply for a Police certificate ensuring that the certificate addresses all known names and/or aliases.
If you reside in New South Wales
Include nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $170.00 for certificate with fingerprints.
clearances:
.. Inside: Applicant must reside in New South Wales and apply in person at the police station nearest
their place of residence. Applicant must complete New South Wales Police Form P397A that can
ONLY be obtained from their local police station.
.. Outside: NSW applicants residing outside of Australia must apply for their Australian police
certificate through the Australian Federal Police in the ACT. Applicants should visit AFP's direct site
(http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx) to download the
instructions and forms for a Criminal History Check. Applicant is required to submit a set of
fingerprints. The fee is AUS $103.00 to apply for a Fingerprint and Name Application. Please follow
AFP's instructions carefully and supply all documents that AFP requires.
The general information telephone number to Criminal Records Section is (02) 8835-7722 and the fax
number is (02) 8835-7193.
For additional information on how and where to apply, please refer to http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/
If you reside in Queensland
Includes nationwide fingerprint check. Cost: $131.80 for certificate with fingerprints.
clearances:
.. Inside: Applicant must write or apply in person for a "QP349b" form, which is the "Application for
Police Certificate" and "QP349" form, if applicable, which is the "Copy of Own Criminal History,"
which costs an additional $36.50. This can be obtained by writing or calling the:
Visa Section
Queensland Police Service
GPO Box 1440
QLD 4001
Tel: 07-3364-6854
They must complete the form, attach fingerprints, a copy of identification and the required fee.
.. Outside: Same as above. Applicant must call the police station, request a faxed copy of the required
forms, and obtain fingerprints from the local police station in their country of residence. All forms
may then be mailed to the police station for processing.
http://police.qld.gov.au/services/purchase/polcert.htm
If you are applying through the New South Wales or Queensland police, your police record will be
sent directly to the U.S. Consulate in Sydney. The Criminal Records Section of their offices will notify
you that this has been done. If you do not receive this notification within 4 weeks of your application, we
strongly recommend that you ascertain the status of your records by checking at the police station where
you initially made your request.
[999 05/05/2014] SYDXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove personally sensitive information
Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Very useful. However the prices are wrong. NVC needs to update their information

I know - you are correct about the prices. NVC says a fingerprint police report for QLD is $131.80. And the QLD Police website says it is $181.00

I've been so frustrated, because QLD Police says one thing, Department of State says another, and US Embassy - Canberra site says yet another.

I wrote to Canberra 4 weeks ago trying to get the correct info (I wanted to front-load our PCC), but they did not deign to answer my email.

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Interesting. It's strange how there's no clear cut one way to do the Police Certificate. I had my interview April 1st and completed my police certificate in January.

For the record: What I did was have my fingerprints taken at my local police station then I took the prints and filled out for a name check on the AFP forms. I can't rememer much about it I don't think I ticked the name AND fingerprint box. But whatever they charged me in the end was fine. I just wanted it done. I think it may have ended up being cheaper in the longrun than taking a trip to the ACT like the officers at my local station suggested. I did totally confuse the hell out of them with all the forms though.

252682in41fsxg03.gif018_zpsa5a9e9c6.gif

VJsig_zps1efa13bd.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I can't edit my post since I'm posting this from my phone. I'd just like to add that I am from NSW. I had my certificate sent back to me. I hope that there will be one way for doing this in the near future to cut down on the confusion. :)

252682in41fsxg03.gif018_zpsa5a9e9c6.gif

VJsig_zps1efa13bd.png

event.png

Sukie

thanks for posting

we did fingerprints and name check in our state and it was $120 for both

my question....... Understand the check is only valid for 6 months, which ours was done 7 nov, as we have now been shipped to the NVC, would that mean we have to pay $120 to have both done again, or just the name check one?

thank you

Thanks for this info! I am in total confusion over this PCC in Australia. I had my NSW police cert sent to me and I have it now, so I am waiting for case complete at NVC and then I will inform Sydney that I have it and hope that they will allow me to bring for interview. So just to clarify we do need fingerprints for the interview??

I can't answer that as am not that far

what did you give nvc donkey? fingerprints or just name?

I am not sure if the checks are valid for 6 months or 1 year?......

Timeline

Thanks for this info! I am in total confusion over this PCC in Australia. I had my NSW police cert sent to me and I have it now, so I am waiting for case complete at NVC and then I will inform Sydney that I have it and hope that they will allow me to bring for interview. So just to clarify we do need fingerprints for the interview??

According to the checklist I got from NVC on May 7, a fingerprint check (as opposed to a name check) is required for all states. But it seems the rules keep changing. A person from the Netherlands, who lived in Australia for a year and is currently on the same timeframe as I am, was told by the US Consulate in Amsterdam that a name check was sufficient. Supposedly the Consulate in Amsterdam consulted with the Consulate in Sydney for that answer.

NVC checklisted the guy though - for not having a fingerprint clearance.

It is so frustrating that the check 1) is not centralized and 2) that the NVC, DoS, and US Consulate in Sydney all have conflicting information on their websites!!!

In my opinion, to be safe, order a fingerprint check.

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Timeline

Sukie

thanks for posting

we did fingerprints and name check in our state and it was $120 for both

my question....... Understand the check is only valid for 6 months, which ours was done 7 nov, as we have now been shipped to the NVC, would that mean we have to pay $120 to have both done again, or just the name check one?

thank you

Raz - if the NVC is not happy with your PCC, they will tell you what you need to do. I believe the PCC has to be current (or you must produce an updated one) at the time of the interview - but I cannot put my hands on any website that says that for sure.

I also think you may get instructions from the Consulate regarding this if your report is out of date.

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

yeah the conflicting makes it hard

sukie......... how long is the fingerprint valid till?

I ask as we had it done and is dated nov 7, if it is only 6 months would have to do it again at $120 (in the state we are in)

if valid for a year all is good, I think.......... LOL

LOL sorry just read above, going on 4 hrs sleep no excuse haaaaaaaa

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

Does this apply to K1 visa applicants? I am reading from the U.S. embassy website http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html#nsw

Which says that a police certificate from NSW is all that is required.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Does this apply to K1 visa applicants? I am reading from the U.S. embassy website http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html#nsw

Which says that a police certificate from NSW is all that is required.

Sweetswinks, all you need is a PCC that you obtain from your home state. If you live in NSW, then you need to get your PCC through the NSW police.

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

Timeline

Sweetswinks, all you need is a PCC that you obtain from your home state. If you live in NSW, then you need to get your PCC through the NSW police.

Sukie

Thank you Sukie! There has been a lot of confusing information regarding police check certificates for K1 visa applicants and whether we need fingerprints or not.

Thanks for your help!

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Despite the checklist stating a fingerprint check is required, I emailed the Sydney consulate recently and they responded to say a name check is sufficient. They noted that a fingerprint check is only required if they have reason to believe that you have gone by another name and that the name check provided is not a full picture of your history. It also noted that if they have any doubt they will request the fingerprint check when you are interviewed, but that it it is unlikely.

So in short, I think like everything else in this process, the need for fingerprints is completely discretionary and comes down to what the CO feels like on the day. Can't hurt to go the extra mile and save yourself the stress of wondering.

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative (Spouse)

USCIS:

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

I-130:

03-09-2013: Marriage in Australia

07-11-2013: NOA1

03-19-2014: NOA2

08-12-2014: Case Complete

09-09-2014: Interview in Sydney, Australia. APPROVED!

01-28-2015: POE - LAX

I-751:

11-03-2016: i751 package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.