Lety and Ed

Can Anyone Confirm Receiving a Copy of Invitation Letter at CDJ Information Window?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Greetings Friends,

Is there anyone here on the forum who can confirm that they were able to, in recent times, receive a copy of their Invitation Letter at the Ciudad Juarez consulate information window?

We are thinking about making the trip just for the purpose of obtaining the letter, so I'd like to know (or at least feel a bit more comfortable about) that it is possible to obtain a copy at the window.

Thank You in Advance,

Lety and Ed

K1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F Sent : 2012-11-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-11-21

I-129F RFE(s) : None

RFE Reply(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-05-28

NVC Received : 2013-06-12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance and I were just in Ciudad Juarez two weeks ago for his interview and we got the invitation letter at the info window without any trouble. You can check my review of our experience at the Consulate for more details, but you can definitely get the letter there. Good luck!

Timeline

My fiance and I were just in Ciudad Juarez two weeks ago for his interview and we got the invitation letter at the info window without any trouble. You can check my review of our experience at the Consulate for more details, but you can definitely get the letter there. Good luck!

how did you know about the invitation letter?

Greetings Friends,

Is there anyone here on the forum who can confirm that they were able to, in recent times, receive a copy of their Invitation Letter at the Ciudad Juarez consulate information window?

We are thinking about making the trip just for the purpose of obtaining the letter, so I'd like to know (or at least feel a bit more comfortable about) that it is possible to obtain a copy at the window.

Thank You in Advance,

Lety and Ed

My husband got his letter at the information window in April, the same day as his medical and biometrics and a couple days before his interview. :)

August 2008 - met when we were both living in England

February 2009 - began dating

May 28, 2011 - got engaged

August 5, 2011 - got married (in England)

September 29, 2011 - moved to Mexico

VISA PROCESS:

December 3, 2012 - sent I-130 to Mexico City (DCF)

December 6, 2012 - I-130 approved

December 14, 2012 - NVC case number assigned and instruction letter sent from Juarez Consulate but we NEVER received it

March 4, 2013 - called to check about our case and received our NVC case number and Invoice number

March 9, 2013 - submitted DS-260 online

April 17, 2013 - interview date - visa approved!!!

July 11, 2013 - POE: entered US through Dallas, TX

July 22, 2013 - Social Security Card delivered

August 22, 2013 - Green Card delivered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

After getting the notification that the petition was being forwarded, I called to confirm when it had arrived to the NVC and then to the Consulate and got all of the necessary ID numbers to schedule the interview. We scheduled it far enough in advance to make sure that there would be time for them to process the petition in Juarez and mail out the letter, and then waited 8 weeks, but it never came. Since we were able to schedule the interview and everything, we knew that they must have processed his case and sent the letter.

Timeline

Thank you to every one who responded. It looks like I'll be taking a road trip. I'm the petitioner so I don't think I should have any trouble getting a copy of the letter as the consulate claims to have sent two copies to me previously.

Thanks again,

Ed

K1 Visa

Timeline

I called today and was informed letter was mailed out yesterday. Have you called them?

Hi Tony,

I've spent many hours on the phone with the consulate, the NVC, the CSC and DHL.

The consulate claims to have sent copies of the letter to both me and my fiancee. They claim to have sent these copies twice. Once in early June and again on July 5th. The said they would send another copy today. DHL has no record of any documents being sent to my US address or my fiancee's address in Mexico. Since DHL has no records of these documents then I can only assume that they have not been sent.

DHL provides a tracking number for every single package. I find it odd that when asked neither the consulate, the NVC or the CSC can not provide these numbers.

I honestly, doubt that we will receive the letter via DHL.

Edited by Lety and Ed

K1 Visa

Timeline

Tony,

The invitation letter is part of what is essentially the only packet you will receive from CDJ.

We went to our local ASC on Monday and they confirmed that they absolutely would not see my fiancee for her finger prints and photos without a copy of the invitation letter. That pretty much confirmed the need for the letter for us.

Other Applicant Service Centers may treat people differently.

K1 Visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since they know the mail in Mexico is terrible, they should just send out emails instead, like other countries do. There would be no waiting on lost mail, or having to wait for them to snail mail anything.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Since they know the mail in Mexico is terrible, they should just send out emails instead, like other countries do. There would be no waiting on lost mail, or having to wait for them to snail mail anything.

I agree, it's time to stop acting like Neanderthals and use modern technology the way it is intended to be used.

I have to say, I doubt that these letters ever get lost in the mail if the consulate sends them via DHL as they claim to do. I suspect the real problem is that they never actually make it to DHL in a timely manner. The letters probably languish in a box until they have so many of them to mail. Then they probably have a courier who takes them to El Paso to actually mail them. I would guess that the whole process is driven by laws and regulations which favor employment and the various contractors involved.

The CSC told me their waiting period for the letters is 4 to 6 weeks. There is no way that it takes DHL or USPS 4 weeks to deliver the letter to a USC who is state side. Even with USPS most letters go coast to coast within three days. DHL is probably faster. All of this makes me think that the problem with the the letters is intentional delays in the process.

I actually think an even better solution instead of email, would be to just have an invitation letter webform that you could pull up from the CSC website. Just log in to the CSC site, view the document and then print as needed.

K1 Visa

Timeline

Update!

After driving 1300 miles and spending nearly 26 hours combined between driving and at the consulate, I did obtain a a copy of the invitation letter.

We will see if it works on Monday for our ASC appointment. If so then we will immediately depart back to Juarez for medical exams and interview.

K1 Visa

Timeline

That is good news that we can get a copy of the letter at the consulate. We are in the same situations with appointment coming up soon and we haven't received anything yet.

It is definitely good that we were able to obtain our letter by going to the consulate. It would have been much better if they could have just sent it via DHL in a timely manner or sent it via an email. Even if our local ASC would have printed it (and I'm sure they can do it, but chose not to or didn't know how) for us that would have been more helpful.

I will also say that while we did obtain a copy of the letter at the consulate information window, I think this is not something that should be counted on. I would only recommend trying to obtain the letter in this manner as a last resort.

I had the impression that getting the letter in this manner is sort of outside the norm for the people at the information window and that depending on who is working the window, you may or may not be successful.

I was nervous right up to the moment the lady at the window handed me the hard copy of the letter, because I just didn't know if I was going to get it or not.

To be honest until we actually use the letter at the ASC appointment, I'm still nervous. Maybe, I'll relax a bit when the interview is done.smile.png

K1 Visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good news! Well, not that you had to drive all that way for a silly piece of paper, but the confirmation that will print it out there. I knew the CDJ call center was giving out misinformation, as they always do. If you go to Juarez for all your appointments and have not received the letter, I would insist they print off one if they seemed like they were hesitant. Ask for a supervisor or an actual consulate officer if they tried to say no. Anything you need to do since you have to have the thing to proceed.

It is all red-tape nonsense to require a letter for everything you need to do but never mail out the letters to people.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.