bgreen19

Previous year taxes vs. current income

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone been through an interview in Manila with last years taxes not meeting the 125%, but currently making above the 125% after starting a new job. My situation is a little different because I also have VA disability income. Hopefully somebody can help and give me advice. Here's my situation......

I just completed my 2012 taxes and my taxable income is below the 125% of the poverty limit. I was unemployed most of last year until I got a good job with the Department of Veteran's Affairs last December. Last year I also had about $19k in VA disability income which is not taxable and doesn't show in my tax returns. My question is do you think I'll need a co-sponsor. Between my current annual salary and annual VA disability I will be well above the 125%, but I'm just afraid last years taxes may require me to find a co-sponsor. Does anyone have any advice?? Will they put more weight on last years taxes or current salary? And does my 19k from VA disability last year count? Thanks guys!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you show the disability income on the tax return? Do you have evidence of receiving the disability, a letter from the VA? I know I got a letter from the VA when I got my disability, its states my percentage of disability and the amount I will receive each month - bring a copy of that as that income does count.

BTW - all my income is exempt from federal income tax, so I did not present a tax return at all, I did provide proof of income with copies of the letters that awarded me the monthly income, plus I provided copies of my bank statements. I had just as much fun when we did AOS as they wanted more than the letters showing my monthly income they wanted proof that I didn't have to pay income tax (like they are the IRS or something)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Did you show the disability income on the tax return? Do you have evidence of receiving the disability, a letter from the VA? I know I got a letter from the VA when I got my disability, its states my percentage of disability and the amount I will receive each month - bring a copy of that as that income does count.

BTW - all my income is exempt from federal income tax, so I did not present a tax return at all, I did provide proof of income with copies of the letters that awarded me the monthly income, plus I provided copies of my bank statements. I had just as much fun when we did AOS as they wanted more than the letters showing my monthly income they wanted proof that I didn't have to pay income tax (like they are the IRS or something)

There was nowhere to show the disability income on my tax return as it's not taxable. But yes I do have the original award letters, updated percentage letter, bank statements, and an income statement I had prepared by a CPA thats notarized verifying the income. So will I be ok without a co-sponsor? With the VA disability last year alone I was above the 125%. Now with my job and the disability I'm well above the limit. I'm just worried they'll look at last years taxable income and want a co-sponsor.

Has anyone been through an interview in Manila with last years taxes not meeting the 125%, but currently making above the 125% after starting a new job. My situation is a little different because I also have VA disability income. Hopefully somebody can help and give me advice. Here's my situation......

I just completed my 2012 taxes and my taxable income is below the 125% of the poverty limit. I was unemployed most of last year until I got a good job with the Department of Veteran's Affairs last December. Last year I also had about $19k in VA disability income which is not taxable and doesn't show in my tax returns. My question is do you think I'll need a co-sponsor. Between my current annual salary and annual VA disability I will be well above the 125%, but I'm just afraid last years taxes may require me to find a co-sponsor. Does anyone have any advice?? Will they put more weight on last years taxes or current salary? And does my 19k from VA disability last year count? Thanks guys!!

Just bring the copy of your VA award letter along with your income tax returns and you'll be fine. On a side note for those that don't have to file taxes, do it anyway, it will save you a lot of grief in the end.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

There was nowhere to show the disability income on my tax return as it's not taxable. But yes I do have the original award letters, updated percentage letter, bank statements, and an income statement I had prepared by a CPA thats notarized verifying the income. So will I be ok without a co-sponsor? With the VA disability last year alone I was above the 125%. Now with my job and the disability I'm well above the limit. I'm just worried they'll look at last years taxable income and want a co-sponsor.

Just bring copies of those award letters and bank statements, that's what I did and there were no issues. Nope you will not need a co-sponsor you total income exceeds the 125%

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Don't worry about last year's income because the Embassy will be looking at your current sustained income.

thanks Tahoma! i think i need to stop stressing so much. i just want my wife here with me. thanks for all the advice guys.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.