__caitlin

Moving to Canada for Spouse with Intent to Immigrate?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I know this is a US immigration-based forum but I thought I would just shoot out this quick question to those who might have experience with/as Canadian spouses. So far my Canadian spouse and I intend to move to the U.S. and then immigrate back to Canada after several years, so the question isn't immediately relevant.

I know, as a spouse, you can apply for status in Canada either from INSIDE or OUTSIDE the country. My question is, how exactly do you start the process for applying from INSIDE? Are you allowed to move up there with your spouse with the intention to immigrate? Or would they deny you entry and demand you go back and do the process from outside like the U.S. does?

Basically, if you want to apply for Canadian status from inside Canada, what is the process for getting there in the first place? And are there certain restrictions?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The inland process is more for someone who is already living in Canada with a Work Permit or student visa. Outland is for Anyone, regardless of where you are living. You may very well get rejected at the border if you come across stating that you are planning to immigrate. The way to get around that is to pay your fee, then when you go to cross the boarder, show them them receipt and let them know you are submitting your application and would like your spouse to STAY with you during the process. Don't tell them he is living there, but that you want them to stay. Often they will stamp his passport for a year on a visitors record. It generally has been quicker to apply outland though, He can still stay wtih you during that time, but, if you apply inland and he has to go back to the states for any reason, they may not allow him back in and the entire process is cancelled. If you apply outland, he can travel back and forth. As well, Applying inland leaves you no way to appeal a rejection. You can only appeal an Outland application. I would highly recomend Road to Canada. They are a hugely supportive group and very knowlegable about the Canadian side of Immigration. We have looked at both options so I have been going there for a while now too.

Good Luck.

K1 - Complete
05/01/2011 - Met online
09/15/2011 - Met in person
11/12/2011 - Became engaged
07/09/2012 - Finally got to put His Ring on my finger
02/04/2013 - Mailed off my documents to my fiance
02/13/2013 - Fiance received my documents
03/30/2013 - I-129F sent
04/05/2013 - NOA 1
07/10/2013 - File Transferred to Texas
07/24/2013 - NOA 2
08/23/2013 - USCIS-NVC - Case number received
08/27/2013 - NVC-Consulate
09/03/2013 - Packet 3
09/04/2013 - Packet 4
09/10/2013 - Medical (Passed)
09/12/2013 - Interview (Approved)
09/17/2013 - Visa in hand
11/02/2013 - Border crossing at Sweetgrass completed
11/05/2013 - Arrived in San Antonio
11/16/2013 - Married in San Antonio

Adjustment of Status

04/25/2014 - AOS packaged mailed to Chicago Lock Box.

05/15/2014 - NoA1 received for Aos and EA. AP rejected.

06/16/2014 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/2014 - EA card now in production.

07/10/2014 - EA Card received. YAY JOB HUNTING

08/13/2014 - Letter received staging possible interview waiver and no action for antoher 6 months

03/03/2015 - Apparently we are still within normal processing times and need to wait 87 days

04/27/2015 - RFE - Renew medical, Send some other documents

05/04/2015 - Medical redone

05/07/2015 - RFE request sent back to USCIS

05/08/2015 - RFE request received at USCIS

05/11/2015 - Green card IN PRODUCTION!!!!

05/11/2015 - Welcome letter Mailed!

05/14/2015 - Welcome Letter Received

05/18/2015 - Green Card Received!! FINALLY!!!!

They've sped up the inland. When I was looking into it last year, it was a year for a spouse. In about August it turned into 6 months instead. But that is just for the Canadian side of the application (outland spouse is from 30-150 days depending on how fast they are going.) But the American side takes about a year no matter what you do. My immediate manager is from Boston and his entire process took over 2 years after he moved here.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I don’t know anything about moving to Canada other than what I’ve read on a few threads here, but I would recommend to you that you wait and move back after you obtain US citizenship.

That way if you guys change your mind and don’t want to stay in Canada for any reason you can just move back down South.

You will be required to file US taxes every year from Canada as US citizens but there is a tax treaty and you may not necessarily have to pay taxes to the US.

Good luck with your journeys.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I know this is a US immigration-based forum but I thought I would just shoot out this quick question to those who might have experience with/as Canadian spouses. So far my Canadian spouse and I intend to move to the U.S. and then immigrate back to Canada after several years, so the question isn't immediately relevant.

I know, as a spouse, you can apply for status in Canada either from INSIDE or OUTSIDE the country. My question is, how exactly do you start the process for applying from INSIDE? Are you allowed to move up there with your spouse with the intention to immigrate? Or would they deny you entry and demand you go back and do the process from outside like the U.S. does?

Basically, if you want to apply for Canadian status from inside Canada, what is the process for getting there in the first place? And are there certain restrictions?

I have just moved back to Canada with my us spouse this past year. You can move back to Canada with the intent to immigrate.. It actually helps if you already have your forms filled out and fees paid.

We went to the border and I told the agent I was a returning resident and I was sponsoring my husband for PR. We went inside and sat with an immigration agent and they issued a visitors record that was good for 6 months. We were told you must submit our application within

That 6 months.

You can not work while the application is processing, but you can apply for an open work permit at the same time as your PR and that will be approved once your sponsorship is approved (about 6 months).

You can also apply Outland while you are still in the us and move to Canada while it is processing. You don't have to be outside of Canada to do Outland.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.