arceva

nbi clearance validity at the time of interview

22 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'll be having my interview next month. my nbi clearance was issued last march 29 2012,and it was indicated that it is valid for 1 year from the date upon issued.but i,m just confused , is it still accepted when it come to the interview at the us embassy with 6 months from the date of issue? can somebody who made it with this situations.

A lot on here advise to renew the NBI, have it within 3 months, 6 months,etc... But I have never heard of anyone being turned back for an NBI that is a few months old, and have in fact read that someone with an NBI 8 months old had no issues. As long as it is less than 1 year, you would probably be ok.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

:yes:

A lot on here advise to renew the NBI, have it within 3 months, 6 months,etc... But I have never heard of anyone being turned back for an NBI that is a few months old, and have in fact read that someone with an NBI 8 months old had no issues. As long as it is less than 1 year, you would probably be ok.

thank you...so this wont give me a problem at the time of my interview with a 6 months old nbi clearance. thanks again

Hi,

As per the USCIS website and regulations, your NBI is good for 1 (one) year. Regardless of anything anyone has to say. I offer this opinion based on personal knowledge and experience in the Phil. process.

Best wishes,

Sid

hi. based on reading experiences of those beneficiaries who underwent interview at us embassy manila, some consul would ask for a recent nbi even if it is still valid (within 1 year period) so it is safe to have an nbi clearance which is atleast 3months old :) better be sure. who knows

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

While the NBI might say it is valid for one year, there is no requirement that the US Embassy accept it if it is that old. That's why we are saying closer to 3 months might be better. The fact is, none of us know. 1 year might be fine. But maybe they want it more current. After all, if it is 1 year old, you might have committed some crimes since you got it!

But no-one knows what timeframe the embassy wants, maybe the 1 year on the NBI is really fine.

Since NBI is easy to get, most of us just think to get one closer to the interview to be safe, if the one you have is old already.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My father in law went to his interview with an nbi clearance that had expired the week before his interview. The CO told him his nbi was expired and he needed a new one. Wasn't that big of a deal, he just immediately went and got one, went back to the embassy the next day and was approved. Based on his case, the CO he had went by the expire date on the clearance.

Also, quoting from the u s embassy website: "For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is considered valid only for one year from the date it is issued. You may contact NBI at (632) 523-82-31 to 38. The NBI website is http://www.nbi.gov.ph.:

Edited by jimmynug

While the NBI might say it is valid for one year, there is no requirement that the US Embassy accept it if it is that old. That's why we are saying closer to 3 months might be better. The fact is, none of us know.

And that is how "tribal lore" becomes the standard, because "everyone" recommends "not to try it, but get one that is less than _____ months old". (fill in the blank with your favorite number.

In our case, her NBI was 6 months old, and I know I have read on here of a couple of people whose NBI was 8 months old. I think the 3 month rumor needs to be debunked. If getting a newer one makes one feel better, no need NOT to do it. But it's not necessary.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The U S Embassy Manila website says it is valid for one year, the NBI says it is valid for one year. As stated earlier, by all means get it renewed sooner if you want, but it is not required. I am, however, curious as to where others are getting their info on this?

Timeline

I never said that the US Embassy wouldn't take one up to a year, just that I'm guessing that it would be possible they would want one sooner. Since NBI is so ridiculously easy to get, if someone was nervous, I was just recommending getting a current one. But if you had one that was 8 months old, then yes, I think it's safe to say that they will accept it as long as the NBI paper says it's valid. It's just that I hadn't really seen it confirmed someone using one older than about 6 months.

So good, I agree, let's put that to rest. I would just hate to be the person who says 'it's definitely good for a year' and then have someone run into problems when the US Embassy tells them they want one within six months is all.

But if that has never happened, it probably never will.

So one year it is! :)

Timeline

I never said that the US Embassy wouldn't take one up to a year, just that I'm guessing that it would be possible they would want one sooner. Since NBI is so ridiculously easy to get, if someone was nervous, I was just recommending getting a current one. But if you had one that was 8 months old, then yes, I think it's safe to say that they will accept it as long as the NBI paper says it's valid. It's just that I hadn't really seen it confirmed someone using one older than about 6 months.

So good, I agree, let's put that to rest. I would just hate to be the person who says 'it's definitely good for a year' and then have someone run into problems when the US Embassy tells them they want one within six months is all.

But if that has never happened, it probably never will.

So one year it is! :)

:thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.