safire

Certified Copies

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm getting together my I-130 packet. Wondering if I should send the original marriage and birth certificates in? Who can make certified copies? I'm confused on this. Will they return my originals if I send them in? I have my long form Birth Certificate from Canada on the way now.

Thanks!

Timeline

What needs to be certified copy? The marriage certificate only? Or do the other birth certificates need to be certified copies as well?

Hi all,

I'm getting together my I-130 packet. Wondering if I should send the original marriage and birth certificates in? Who can make certified copies? I'm confused on this. Will they return my originals if I send them in? I have my long form Birth Certificate from Canada on the way now.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Thanks!

Please read the instructions for the I-130 again. Only copies (photocopies) are required for the I-130 package. I HIGHLY suggest you read the instructions a few times. If you missed this important information, you might have missed something else.

Timeline

I HIGHLY think you're right. :P BUT IT does ask for a certified copy of my marriage certificate. Do you know if a post office can make a certified copy? Thank you for your advise, I do have the instructions here, I was just a little bit confused and like to confirm.

8. A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh)

That doesn't sound like they just want a simple copy. Silly questions I know, and I'm weird about wanting to be absolutely sure before I do anything. Even if it's redundant and ridiculous. :D

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Edited by safire

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Take a look at the I-130 instructions provided by the USCIS. They request "a copy of the marriage certificate". The instructions further state that if a copy is requested, submit a copy. The VJ guide adds the word certified. Putting the two instructions together, I sent a copy of my certified marriage certificate. The marriage certificates I have are certified copies, certified by the Notary in Colombia. A marriage certificate not certified by the issuing body is not legit, the marriage certificate you have most likely is certified by the issuing body, look for something official on it, approved and blessed by the person of authority at the issuing body. Same goes for your birth certificate.

I read the I-130 instructions provided by the USCIS thoroughly, I used VJ guides as supplemental guides.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Edited by Orando

Our Visa Journey

12-10-2011: Married

01-03-2012: I-130 Mailed

01-09-2012: NOA1

05-16-2012: NOA2

06-04-2012: NVC Received

11-27-2012: NVC Case Complete

01-23-2013: Interview in Bogota (pending medical results)

02-13-2013: Visa Approved

03-20-2013: POE - Miami

Timeline

It DOES help! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my silly questions. hehe :D

Take a look at the I-130 instructions provided by the USCIS. They request "a copy of the marriage certificate". The instructions further state that if a copy is requested, submit a copy. The VJ guide adds the word certified. Putting the two instructions together, I sent a copy of my certified marriage certificate. The only copies of my marriage certificate I have are certified copies, certified by the Notary in Colombia. A marriage certificate not certified by the issuing body is not legit, the marriage certificate you have most likely is certified by the issuing body, look for something official on it, approved and blessed by the person of authority at the issuing body. Same goes for your birth certificate.

I read the I-130 instructions provided by the USCIS thoroughly, I used VJ guides as supplemental guides.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Timeline

It DOES help! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my silly questions. hehe :D

You're welcome. They are not silly questions, better to ask them here and get answers than pay some Attorney thousands of dollars. I am all for keeping money out of Attorneys pockets..jejejeje... :)

Our Visa Journey

Timeline

You're welcome. They are not silly questions, better to ask them here and get answers than pay some Attorney thousands of dollars. I am all for keeping money out of Attorneys pockets..jejejeje... :)

Indeed. I ALMOST hired an attorney too, but decided I would just try it on my own. If you all can do it so can I!!

Off topic, I have no address in Canada anymore, is it bad to just put NONE in address abroad for question #19? Or should I put SOMETHING there. I have been living here for 2 1/2 years, and married for 2 years on March 26th of this year, so I'm hoping for the 10 year green card. As well as we have a 1 and a half year old child born here too.

Timeline

Indeed. I ALMOST hired an attorney too, but decided I would just try it on my own. If you all can do it so can I!!

Off topic, I have no address in Canada anymore, is it bad to just put NONE in address abroad for question #19? Or should I put SOMETHING there. I have been living here for 2 1/2 years, and married for 2 years on March 26th of this year, so I'm hoping for the 10 year green card. As well as we have a 1 and a half year old child born here too.

Yes, you can do it.

I would answer none for question #19 in your situation. You do not have an address abroad, you live in the US. I provided my wife's address in Colombia where she lives currently for #19.

Our Visa Journey

I HIGHLY think you're right. :P BUT IT does ask for a certified copy of my marriage certificate. Do you know if a post office can make a certified copy? Thank you for your advise, I do have the instructions here, I was just a little bit confused and like to confirm.

8. A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh)

That doesn't sound like they just want a simple copy. Silly questions I know, and I'm weird about wanting to be absolutely sure before I do anything. Even if it's redundant and ridiculous. :D

http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide2

Like another member said, read the USCIS instructions. Sure VJ guides are helpful, but always follow the ACTUAL instructions. Only a COPY is required. It specifically states that in the I-130 instructions.

You WILL need an original/certified copy at NVC however, so you'll still need to obtain those for the marriage certificate and the beneficiary's birth certificate.

Timeline

Like another member said, read the USCIS instructions. Sure VJ guides are helpful, but always follow the ACTUAL instructions. Only a COPY is required. It specifically states that in the I-130 instructions.

You WILL need an original/certified copy at NVC however, so you'll still need to obtain those for the marriage certificate and the beneficiary's birth certificate.

THANK you. :P What does NVC stand for? And like I asked earlier, can the post office make a certified copy or is that something I have to get from the original source.

I APOLOGIZE for not being as well versed as you on this subject. I only JUST jumped into this with both feet as of today, so PLEASE be understanding. THANK you. :)

Edited by safire

THANK you. :P What does NVC stand for? And like I asked earlier, can the post office make a certified copy or is that something I have to get from the original source.

NVC = National Visa Center. Once your I-130 gets approved at USCIS, your case gets sent to NVC for further processing (more fees and packages to be submitted).

And you can order certified copies of birth certificates online. Just Google [PROVINCE] birth certificate. That's how I found mine for Quebec. Ordered three for I think $45 and got them shipped. Arrived within a week or so if I remember correctly.

Did you get married in Canada or the US? If it was the US, then you can have your spouse simply go to the courthouse and request for one (might vary by state, but that's what we did here in South Dakota). If you got married in Canada, then I have no idea. But just Google it.

I APOLOGIZE for not being as well versed as you on this subject. I only JUST jumped into this with both feet as of today, so PLEASE be understanding. THANK you. :)

Don't worry, I understand you're new. But when submitting forms (especially something of this importance) don't you read the instructions that come with the form?

Timeline

NVC = National Visa Center. Once your I-130 gets approved at USCIS, your case gets sent to NVC for further processing (more fees and packages to be submitted).

And you can order certified copies of birth certificates online. Just Google [PROVINCE] birth certificate. That's how I found mine for Quebec. Ordered three for I think $45 and got them shipped. Arrived within a week or so if I remember correctly.

Did you get married in Canada or the US? If it was the US, then you can have your spouse simply go to the courthouse and request for one (might vary by state, but that's what we did here in South Dakota). If you got married in Canada, then I have no idea. But just Google it.

That's unfortunate. I just ordered ONE birth certificate for 60$ today and I don't want to pay another 120$ for 2 more!!! This is the one I ordered today. Certified True Copy of Birth or Marriage Registration Document $50.00* :( I got married in the USA, but we're not living in that state anymore. We're in Nevada, got married in California, its not a hop skip and a jump away, but not terrible I guess. :( *sigh* I wonder why the attorney I was going to use did not ask me for certified copy of my marriage certificate? This really sucks, now I have to shell out 120$ more. There MUST be an easier way to do this! The attorney told me I needed the certificate that had all the parental information on it, which of course was the most expensive one.

That's unfortunate. I just ordered ONE birth certificate for 60$ today and I don't want to pay another 120$ for 2 more!!! This is the one I ordered today. Certified True Copy of Birth or Marriage Registration Document $50.00* :( I got married in the USA, but we're not living in that state anymore. We're in Nevada, got married in California, its not a hop skip and a jump away, but not terrible I guess. :( *sigh* I wonder why the attorney I was going to use did not ask me for certified copy of my marriage certificate? This really sucks, now I have to shell out 120$ more. There MUST be an easier way to do this! The attorney told me I needed the certificate that had all the parental information on it, which of course was the most expensive one.

You won't need three. Just one. I only got three to be on the safe side. Never ended up needing the other two. You do NOT need to get two more. Just send a PHOTOCOPY of the birth certificate to USCIS in the I-130 package. Keep the certified copy for NVC/consulate as it's required then.

As for the marriage certificate, again, only a PHOTOCOPY is needed for USCIS. You will need to get a certified copy though later on at NVC/consulate.

And yes, the long-form is required at NVC. This is the government, they want to check on everything and make sure everything is perfect.

Timeline

Oh my, I paid $20 per copy for my certified birth certificates from the State of Minnesota.

We paid $5 or so per copy of the certified marriage certificate in Colombia.

For this process it seems like 2 sets of the certified copies are needed. One to provide at the NVC stage and one to provide at the consulate/embassy/Local IV office in case the originals do not make it to the interview location.

Our Visa Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.