CourtneyRox

Importing Vehicle

20 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can give me tips on importing my VW Jetta TDI Diesel from Canada to USA? I fax VW of America requesting a letter of conformity which I recieved today... does anyone know how to decipher this letter... I will attach a the 6 page copy of the fax I received... shortly... I am currently at work... Any advice would help .. Thanks!

Removal of Conditions

[03-24-2014] ROC paperwork sent.

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

[06-17-2014] Card in production

[06-25-2014] Card in HAND

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Got my letter from ford and it said COMPLIANT on it somewhere in bold letters, meaning yes you can import it.

Then thats all you do, just go to the border tell them your activating K-1 and importing your car, give them the letter and the CBP will do all the forms and have you sign them. You take a copy of the forms with you when you go register your car in your state.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Got my letter from ford and it said COMPLIANT on it somewhere in bold letters, meaning yes you can import it.

Then thats all you do, just go to the border tell them your activating K-1 and importing your car, give them the letter and the CBP will do all the forms and have you sign them. You take a copy of the forms with you when you go register your car in your state.

OOOOH ok ... Alexis, I will send you the fax I got just to make sure! If you don't mind :)

Removal of Conditions

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

Timeline

OOOOH ok ... Alexis, I will send you the fax I got just to make sure! If you don't mind :)

yup yup !

If it wasn't compliant I think they would of said something to you about it but thats not always the case so yes post the copy when you get a chance.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

because Canada and the US share a border and because Canada has tougher rules for their cars, importing your car to the US is not a problem. Just drive it across! (I am a dual Canadian US citizen by birth... My family is on both sides of boarder and we've passed cars from family member to family member for years on both sides without a problem)

Visa is in Sydney - 8July11
Police and fingerprint check we ordered 7/7/11
Background check returned 16/8/11
Packet 3 arrived in Sydney 17/8/11
INTERVIEW... praying big time.. 13/9/11
praying for POE around 27 Sep
Wedding- 11/11/11

-------
I-751 Remove Condition App 20 Nov 2013
Bio for I-751 26 Dec 2013
RFE for all bank statements since marriage - 4/18/14 - returned 4/19/14

(smacking head - sent everything but kitchen sink AND all those as

I --silly I know-- thought only needed a few over course of marriage- NOPE-

all needed)

still waiting on 10 yr Green Card Approval as of 18 May....

Timeline

because Canada and the US share a border and because Canada has tougher rules for their cars, importing your car to the US is not a problem. Just drive it across! (I am a dual Canadian US citizen by birth... My family is on both sides of boarder and we've passed cars from family member to family member for years on both sides without a problem)

Sorry you cant just "drive it across" you have to import it with CBP with a compliance letter. Then you have to register it with the state and get insurance etc, you need the CBP papers to register it with the state. If you ever intend on selling the car you also need the import papers.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I got someone who wasn't entirely sure of the process because when I gave them the compliance letter at POE, she said that I couldn't do that until my status was adjusted. I'm going to try to register it anyways in a couple weeks and see what happens.

K1 Visa Timeline

01-27-2011: NOA1!

02-22-2011: NOA2!

03-14-2011: Packet 3 Filled Out. Delayed Interview until closer to POE, August.

08-09-2011: Interview at 10am!

08-19-2011: POE

08-21-2011: Married

AOS

08-25-2011: Sent AOS Packet with EAD & AP

08-29-2011: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP

09-29-2011: Biometrics Appointment

Timeline

I think I got someone who wasn't entirely sure of the process because when I gave them the compliance letter at POE, she said that I couldn't do that until my status was adjusted. I'm going to try to register it anyways in a couple weeks and see what happens.

Your going to have to go to the closest POE and import your car if you don't have import papers.

Hey Guys, Well this is what I got...

post-108263-0-22586800-1314141554_thumb.jpg

Edited by CourtneyRox

Removal of Conditions

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

Timeline

From what I read its saying the speedometer must be able to read miles for the US and it doesn't comply for emissions in California.

From what I read its saying the speedometer must be able to read miles for the US and it doesn't comply for emissions in California.

My speedometer has both KM/hr and Miles/hr... I'm moving to Illinois not California... so doesn't that mean I'm ok? Cause it would suck to drive 20 hours and not be able to cross with my car!

Removal of Conditions

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

What I also noticed about the letter is that it says something like... Meets requirements at the time if manufacturing. So I'm confused, does it meet the requirements now or not... Grrr This whole process frustrates the H*ll out off me!!

Removal of Conditions

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

Timeline

What I also noticed about the letter is that it says something like... Meets requirements at the time if manufacturing. So I'm confused, does it meet the requirements now or not... Grrr This whole process frustrates the H*ll out off me!!

Sounds like the speedom is fine then since it reads both but i'm curious as to the standards for cali considering your not moving there. I'm not sure but you might need an emissions test but I would wait till someone else responds on that just to be sure. Then again cali has VERY strict rules about diesel cars/trucks anyways that are more strict that most states. (my father-in-law has to have a permit to truck through cali because of his diesel truck)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll be following your posts closely, cause I just faxed off my request to VW for my 99 Jetta TDI. I'll let you know if I receive anything different. I'll be moving to King County, Wa. Hope all goes well and without a hitch!

Excellent.. I look forward to hearing about your experience... is your VW a Diesel also?? You might want to follow along on this link too: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/185250-canadaus-crossing-with-vehicle-letter/page__st__135

Removal of Conditions

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.