rocket5014

My experience with I751 change of address

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We recently moved while my wife's I751 was still pending, so we needed to change the address. As many of you know, there are actually two numbers associated with I751, one is the number you see on the receipt (receipt number), and the other is the one you see on FP appointment (CRI89 application number).

Initially, we changed the address using the receipt number, that went fine. However, if you put in I751 and your CRI89 application number, the system will give you an error, which requires you to confirm. After all, CRI89 is not I751, so this is understandable. CRI89 is not in the list of forms, my guess is because CRI89 is an internal form rather than a public form.

A few days later, we got an confirmation mail from USCIS. Reading the confirmation, I felt it was better to do an infopass to confirm that CRI89 also got the correct address.

So we did infopass, and learned (suprise!) while I751 address was changed, CRI89 was not. So we went home and filed anther change of address, this time use CRI89 application number and override the error. A few days later, we received the second confirmation with CRI89 application number.

So to summarize, when you change your address on I751 application, make sure you do that using both receipt and application number.

Edited by rocket5014

We recently moved while my wife's I751 was still pending, so we needed to change the address. As many of you know, there are actually two numbers associated with I751, one is the number you see on the receipt (receipt number), and the other is the one you see on FP appointment (CRI89 application number).

Initially, we changed the address using the receipt number, that went fine. However, if you put in I751 and your CRI89 application number, the system will give you an error, which requires you to confirm. After all, CRI89 is not I751, so this is understandable. CRI89 is not in the list of forms, my guess is because CRI89 is an internal form rather than a public form.

A few days later, we got an confirmation mail from USCIS. Reading the confirmation, I felt it was better to do an infopass to confirm that CRI89 also got the correct address.

So we did infopass, and learned (suprise!) while I751 address was changed, CRI89 was not. So we went home and filed anther change of address, this time use CRI89 application number and override the error. A few days later, we received the second confirmation with CRI89 application number.

So to summarize, when you change your address on I751 application, make sure you do that using both receipt and application number.

I changed my address and had to update it online, as you did, and I am a little confused as to how I can check if my address is correct.

For the change of address form, my confirmation letter (acknowledging the change of address was successful) states that the case type is 'I751' and the receipt # is the same as that on the FP appointment. Am I ok?

To book an infopass session I'd have to drive 5+ hours (we live far from any big city) so I will call USCIS on Monday to try and confirm my address has been properly updated on all forms.

What I'm asking is, on your second confirmation was the case type I751 or CRI89?

I-129F sent to Vermont: Late May 2008

NOA1 received: 17 June 2008

NOA2 received: 2 September 2008

Receive NOA2 about 3 1/2 months after sending

NVC received:

NVC left:

Consulate Received:

Packet 3 sent: 22 October 2008

Interview date: 18 November 2008

Visa approved: 18 November 2008

Arrive in U.S.: 20 January 2009

Marry Fiance: 26 January 2009

Mailed AOS: 7 February 2009

AOS application received by USCIS: 9 February 2009

NOA for AOS/EAD/AP sent from USCIS: 12 February 2009

Biometrics appointment received: 23 February 2009

Biometrics Appointment: 7 March 2009

Interview for AOS: 28 May 2009

Filed: Timeline

I changed my address and had to update it online, as you did, and I am a little confused as to how I can check if my address is correct.

For the change of address form, my confirmation letter (acknowledging the change of address was successful) states that the case type is 'I751' and the receipt # is the same as that on the FP appointment. Am I ok?

To book an infopass session I'd have to drive 5+ hours (we live far from any big city) so I will call USCIS on Monday to try and confirm my address has been properly updated on all forms.

What I'm asking is, on your second confirmation was the case type I751 or CRI89?

Calling USCIS is no use. I called on three different occasions and all three people told me they had no access to address information. The only way to do it is through infopass.

In both cases, you should use I751, there is no CRI89 in the list.

Calling USCIS is no use. I called on three different occasions and all three people told me they had no access to address information. The only way to do it is through infopass.

In both cases, you should use I751, there is no CRI89 in the list.

I called USCIS and, as you said, they do not have address information available to them via the phone. However they told me that I751 and CRI89 are one and the same. So if you have an address confirmation for case type I751 you are fine.

If you used your receipt # from the I-751 receipt notice (instead of the application # on the ASC appointment notice) then the online system does not recognize the receipt # and does not allow you to complete the change of address (that happened to me when I tried).

I don't understand how it let you change it without the application #.

I-129F sent to Vermont: Late May 2008

NOA1 received: 17 June 2008

NOA2 received: 2 September 2008

Receive NOA2 about 3 1/2 months after sending

NVC received:

NVC left:

Consulate Received:

Packet 3 sent: 22 October 2008

Interview date: 18 November 2008

Visa approved: 18 November 2008

Arrive in U.S.: 20 January 2009

Marry Fiance: 26 January 2009

Mailed AOS: 7 February 2009

AOS application received by USCIS: 9 February 2009

NOA for AOS/EAD/AP sent from USCIS: 12 February 2009

Biometrics appointment received: 23 February 2009

Biometrics Appointment: 7 March 2009

Interview for AOS: 28 May 2009

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Please Help!

I changed my address while filing form I-751. Got the same error while changing my address online.Three days later we get a letter to the new address saying that they could not find my case. So, I told my husband to call Immigration and surprisingly they answer pretty soon. The lady told us that it was because of the confusion of the forms I-751 or CRI89 which are the same, she said, they just haven't updated their systems. She also said she could see our new address in our file and everything was fine. Could this be right? I tend to always double check everything related to the immigration process and make sure we are doing the right thing!

Please, if you know anything about this, let me know!

Thanks

My Dad's I-130 Journey:

• 02/15/2013 - Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox
  • 02/25/2013 - Check cashed
  • 02/25/2013 - NOA1 Received
  • 10/17/2013 - Case transferred to Nebraska Service Center
  • 11/13/2013 - NOA2 Received. We are approved!!

NVC

• 11/13/2013 - File sent to NVC for processing
  • 12/23/2013 - Case entered
  • 01/09/2013 - DS-261 Choice of Agent sent
  • 01/13/2014 - Paid AOS fees
  • 01/15/2014 - Paid IV fees
  • 01/24/2014 - AOS and IV documents sent
  • 01/27/2014 - AOS and IV documents received at NVC
  • 01/30/2014 - DS-260 completed online
  • 02/21/2014 - Checklist received for missing Austrian police report
  • 02/24/2014 - Checklist received for incorrect information on AOS
  • 05/02/2014 - NVC Document approval, Interview date received
  • 06/12/2014 - Interview Pending!

• 6 years later...

Hello all. I would like to ask something regarding changing my address. I have a pending I-751 and would like to know if I need to update USCIS about my recent move. I just recently changed jobs and moved to another city, where I am renting a room. I live here only from monday-friday and on the weekends I go back to my wife, to our apartment (the one we have been living at for the last two years and that I jotted down as my address while filing the I-751). Do I have to update USCIS about this somehow? Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

• 6 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.