july2009

Can we jump the gun on receiving packet 3 and move things along more quickly?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'll start by saying thank you to anyone who shares their experience, my British fiance and I are not sure what we'd do without this site and all the helpful people who post! We received NOA 1 on November 8th, and I understand we're going to be waiting several more months for NOA 2, but wanted to start planning for next steps now in order to save some time.

- Once we receive NOA 2, we can call NVC 2 weeks later to receive our LND number, correct?

- Does he need to wait to actually receive packet 3 in the mail before he can schedule the medical interview and mail in the necessary documents? Once we have the LND number, he can just go ahead and schedule the medical, print off the necessary forms and mail in, right? Or is there something in the physical packet 3 that he needs to wait for?

- Once the US embassy receives the packet 3 forms and the results of his medical, that's when they will mail him an interview date? And that date is usually about 2 months later?

Thank you so much for clarifying!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'll start by saying thank you to anyone who shares their experience, my British fiance and I are not sure what we'd do without this site and all the helpful people who post! We received NOA 1 on November 8th, and I understand we're going to be waiting several more months for NOA 2, but wanted to start planning for next steps now in order to save some time.

- Once we receive NOA 2, we can call NVC 2 weeks later to receive our LND number, correct?

I called NVC a week later and received the number. It then took them 5 days to mail the documents to London.

- Does he need to wait to actually receive packet 3 in the mail before he can schedule the medical interview and mail in the necessary documents? Once we have the LND number, he can just go ahead and schedule the medical, print off the necessary forms and mail in, right? Or is there something in the physical packet 3 that he needs to wait for?

I don't think there was anything he needed in the forms to go to the medical. They just wanted us to wait until London gave us the prompt. Maybe you can schedule it after DOS confirms London sends out the P3 packet.

- Once the US embassy receives the packet 3 forms and the results of his medical, that's when they will mail him an interview date? And that date is usually about 2 months later?

When we did it they didn't need the results of the medical to schedule the interview date. Have they changed it since? I definitely advocate you both figuring some things out now. For my British half he should have gotten all of his jabs and dental work done while he was working and contributing to NHS instead of waiting to come over here. I had a list of documents I needed to get for the P3 - tax transcripts, bank and employer verification, and even my mother's tax transcripts in case they needed a co-sponsor.

As soon DOS confirmed the P3 was sent out he should have been filling out the DS forms. He delayed a week until things arrived in the mail and it cost us an extra month to wait until their next scheduling day.

Thank you so much for clarifying!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

The problem with doing it too early is London has no clue who you are and your stuff will probably get laid aside in a corner somewhere. There's a method to the madness to keep it as organized as possible. Here's my suggestion.

Now--

get shots and documentation from NHS. Get MMR (and a booster too is good), Tdap, dTap, DTP (one of that variety), and find out from Mum if he had chickenpox. You will be thankful it's out of the way when you are ready to file AOS.

Order police certificate

Get anything else needed for interview in hand like long form birth certificate, etc.

Order tax transcripts for last 3 years (free.) Also for co-sponsor if you need one.

Start reading the forms DS-230 (p.1-2), DS-156, DS-156K, DS-157 so you are familiar with them and can remember all addresses, employment, trip dates to th US. Begin filling out if you like.

After NOA 2 --

Call NVC and get LND case numberand ask when/if case left for London

USC (and co-sponsor get letter from employer or photocopies of about 3 month paystubs. You want them to be recent so now is a little early. Prepare form I-134 and mail to UK.

2 weeks after you think case made it to London call DOS and ask if the case has been logged in. It could take WEEKS for them to open the mail, so don't assume it got to London 4 days after NVC sent it and you're good to go.

When you have confirmed London has "logged in" your case, then make medical appointment and send in the four DS forms and the "readiness for interview form". We call it the checklist but I think it's not even a checklist anymore. You don't have to wait for their letter (packet 3) telling you to go to their website to get instructions because you already know that part. You only wait for London to acknowledge your case is logged in so your forms and medical results have a file created to go into. Otherwise they could get lost.

Go to medical exam with shot list you get from NHS. If he has to answer "yes" to any of those questions on the medical form he takes to Knightsbridge, then take a letter from NHS about how he is faring with the disease, condition, whatever...basically that it's under control or not a problem. Take police certificate to medical exam. That is also brand new in November, but has been reported by several people.

Wait for an interview. Calling DOS will not speed up your interview assignment.

At some point you are now asked to pay for the visa upfront over the phone, but that's new so don't know where that comes in. Probably after they get the DS forms and log those in as received and eligible for interview.

London Instructions for K Visa

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I second everything stated above. There is some method to what they do, and although you want to speed up the process, the only control you have is to send back your P3 docs once you know London has received and logged your file. Otherwise, they will just throw everything away. Unless you are in their system, it appears the beneficiary is applying for a visa that hasn't been permitted by USCIS. It's always good to be prepared, but wait until you are prompted by the embassy or the DOS before you send anything in.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry,one more question on the police certificate- is there a time limit on it? If he orders it now, but doesn't submit packet 3 material until May and have the interview until July, will a certificate dated December 2010 be valid? Or should we wait until later to order it?

Thank you!

Sorry,one more question on the police certificate- is there a time limit on it? If he orders it now, but doesn't submit packet 3 material until May and have the interview until July, will a certificate dated December 2010 be valid? Or should we wait until later to order it?

Thank you!

I believe the police certificate is good for a year.

K-1:
April 21, 2010: I-129F Sent (from London to VSC)
April 27, 2010: NOA1, check cashed
July 9, 2010: NOA2 (hardcopy)
July 12, 2010: NVC sent petition to embassy in London
October 7, 2010: Packet 3 logged at embassy
November 3, 2010: Interview: APPROVED!
December 7, 2010: POE: JFK
December 10, 2010: Wedding

AOS:
April 27, 2011: Sent I-485, I-864, EAD and AP to Chicago
May 5, 2011: Received text notifications, check cashed
May 9, 2011: NOA hardcopy via mail
May 14, 2011: RFE (for incorrectly filling out I-693)
June 3, 2011: Biometrics
June 17, 2011: RFE response delivered
June 21, 2011: Case under RFE review
June 23, 2011: Transferred to CSC!
June 29, 2011: EAD and AP approved!
July 9, 2011: EAD/AP card arrived via mail
January 4, 2012: RFE
January 28, 2012: RFE response delivered
January 30, 2012: Case under RFE review
February 8, 2012: Green card in production!
February 14, 2012: Green card received in mail

ROC:

December 4, 2013: Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

December 9, 2013: NOA1

January 13, 2014: Biometrics

May 15, 2014: Green card in production!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I believe the police certificate is good for a year.

I would order it right when you get NOA2. That shouldn't be too much longer than NOA1 - unless you're the one waiting. Then it seems like forever. ;)

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Everything that has been said already is a perfect guide, i just wanted to stress, get ALL the vaccinations before you go for the medical.. even if it costs a bit of money for the MMR, when it comes time to go through the AOS you are much better off having the DS-3025 completed. It could save you money in Civil surgeon fees and RFE time.

Good luck and hope all goes smooth on your journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

thanks for info here!we are just waiting for my new case number to be generated

K1 Timeline
07/01/10- K1 Mailed
07/16/10- NOA1 Hardcopy
12/15/10- NOA2 Hardcopy Received
02/16/11- Interview at 10am London Embassy
02/24/11- Visa in Hand
02/27/11- POE - Minneapolis

AOS Timeline
04/22/11- AOS, EAD, AP sent today
04/28/11- AOS, EAD, AP Notice Date
05/04/11- Hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
05/12/11- Early Biometric walk in(Scheduled for 05/31/2011)
05/12/11- I-485 Case Transferred to CSC
06/13/11- AOS approved, card production ordered
06/20/11- Green Card Recieved

ROC Timeline

04/25/13- ROC package sent

04/26/13- ROC pack delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.