mathranik

Urgent Help required - No AOS/EOS/COS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone! I am posting this query in a state of panic.

My parents came to the US on the 5th of March 2010, and were given a 6-month stay period. The stay expires on the 1st of September. Now, in the mid of july, my parents visited Canada and came back on the 23rd of July to US. When they came back, their I-94 was reissued, and on the backside of I-94 under the 'record of changes' section, the immigration office wrote with hand- 'NO AOS/EOS/COS'.

Not knowing about it, I applied for their extension of stay on the 3rd of August'2010. Today I came across the remarks on their I-94. and began to panic. I called USCIS, but they didn't have much information about it at all. They asked me to make an infopass appointment.

I would like to know from all of you people how to go about it. What does it mean, if it says this under the 'record of changes' section.

Thanks a lot in advance.

6-29-2010 Got Married!

08-10-2010 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lock-Box..

08-24-2010 Received texts/emails of acceptance, Finally!

08-27-2010 Cheques cashed / Biometrics appointment on 9-21-2010

09-01-2010 Received NOA Hardcopies and Biometrics appointment letter!

09-02-2010 Successful Biometrics Walk-in :)

09-14-2010 EAD expedite successful (Congressmen's help)

09-15-2010 EAD card production ordered

09-20-2010 EAD card production - 2nd order

09-22-2010 EAD Notice in Mail

09-24-2010 EAD card received

10-01-2010 Interview letter for AOS received for 11/04/2010

11-04-2010 Greencard approved!

Timeline

I wanted to add to my previous post that, half an hour ago, I got the receipt from USCIS confirming that they have started processing the application. It has come 10 days from the date of filing. Isn't that swifter than usual?

6-29-2010 Got Married!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On what basis did they seek an extension?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

On the basis that since my father is 81 years old, it might not be possible for him to come to US soon, and that he would like to spend some time with his son and grandson here. Also, we would like to show him around the US (East coast, etc) in the next couple of months, and that he might be able to stay back until his grandson's birthday that is coming up.

6-29-2010 Got Married!

Timeline

They entered on the 5th March

They left for a trip of about 1 week and re-entered on the 23rd July.

Presumably when they re-entered they were given the balance of their initial stay.

10 days later they applied for an extension.

I see 3 issues:

1. If they wanted to stay longer, why did they not seek a longer stay on re-entry.

2. They decided a few days after entry to apply for an extension.

3. Lack of a valid reason.

The annotation is not helpful, but neither is it I believe binding. More a warning.

They may be lucky, but probably not.

I have seen this done to buy a bit more time, but of course the downside is the loss of the visa and difficulty obtaining another. If he does not intend re visiting, no real problem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Presumably when they re-entered they were given the balance of their initial stay.

I see 3 issues:

1. If they wanted to stay longer, why did they not seek a longer stay on re-entry.

The annotation is not helpful, but neither is it I believe binding. More a warning.

I have seen this done to buy a bit more time, but of course the downside is the loss of the visa and difficulty obtaining another. If he does not intend re visiting, no real problem.

I respect your concern, with your comments carrying a warning. I would like to say a bit more about this, and ask a couple another queries.

*1* They were not offered a longer stay on re-entry, nor were they asked a choice. I think that's how it normally goes. They were just given the remainder of there stay when they re-entered.

*2* Yes, around 8 days later.

*3* I looked around this website, and a couple of others too, and found out that if sightseeing is the true reason, it can be a good enough reason most of the times. I may be wrong here, because this ofcourse is not a life-death situation.

If they do leave before there I-94 expires on 1st September, would their visa stay good if they want to revisit in a few months? Do I understand correctly that if they exit according to what their current I-94 demands them to, their extension application's decision would not make any difference on their revisit?

Thanks once again!

6-29-2010 Got Married!

Timeline

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, if they want to live here then you should sponsor them for a GC.

The extension/long trips with a short period out has risks. Nobody can tell you the result or exact odds of any particular approach.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I see 3 issues:

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, if they want to live here then you should sponsor them for a GC.

The extension/long trips with a short period out has risks. Nobody can tell you the result or exact odds of any particular approach.

Just so that everyone who tried to help me knows, my parent's extension of stay has been approved. It came in my mail yesterday :) I know it's odd, considering what was written on their previous I-94, but still - I thank God and everyone who helped me here on VJ!

6-29-2010 Got Married!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.