NycBra

Travel during N-400 Application

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know there is a thread about this topic but I could not find it.

What are the restrictions on traveling abroad after you submit the citizenship application?

Can you travel after you do the interview (and pass) but before the oath?

Or, what happens if you are abroad when you are called for the interview?

My timeline allows me to submit my application for citizenship in late September. However, I will be away of the country for 10 days in late November. I am just rethinking if it would be ok for me to travel, or if I should delay my application...

Thanks!

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

There is nothing to stop you traveling except the need to attend the appointment for your biometrics and the interview. Once you have the letter for the biometrics appointment most places will let you do a walk-in early.If they send you an appointment for your interview and you do not attend you run the risk of them canceling your citizenship application and having to apply again and pay another fee.

Why not wait until you are back in the US to apply or post the application just as you go on the trip. Nothing will happen in the first 10 days so it would be being processed while you are away.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

I will get my fingerprints date end of next week I reckon

I will try a walk in but by all accounts the 6 weeks or so to the interview will start from the ORIGINAL fingerprints date

Nobody has reported a gap of less than say 5 week from fingerprints to interview

I will time my UK holiday (10 days or so) straight after the ORIGINAL fingerprints date

Have a look around people's time lines but nobody gets a snap interview straight after fingerprints so you are safe to go straight after them

Doing a walk in does not seem to speed the process as it seems queued to go to CIA/FBI etc after the original FP date

I will try the walk in just to get it out of the way...

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks to you both. These are all very good info to have.

Due to a job opportunity with a January deadline (that I prefer not get into details here), the soon I get the citizenship the better.

I don't really want to delay submitting application unless strictly necessary. I like the idea of a walk-in for fingerprints and traveling right after.

I will have a look at the timelines for people applying in San Francisco.

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

A few things to keep in mind:

1. If you travel during the application is being processed, make sure you have someone checking your mail for you. Biometrics and interview can be rescheduled (if there's no other way) so there is nothing to worry about.

2. You can travel on your GC and your home country passport as long as you do not take the oath. Once the oath is taken, then you are a USC and you MUST exit/enter the US on a US passport.

3. You need to make sure you meet the continuous residence and physical presence rules - but this only applies if you are a frequent traveler.

Lastly, 10 days is not a long time, and normally you will get biometrics appointment 2-3 weeks before it is scheduled. You can always go for a walk-in if the dates are during your travel time.

Same goes for interview that it will be scheduled about 2-3 weeks later....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

A few things to keep in mind:

1. If you travel during the application is being processed, make sure you have someone checking your mail for you. Biometrics and interview can be rescheduled (if there's no other way) so there is nothing to worry about.

2. You can travel on your GC and your home country passport as long as you do not take the oath. Once the oath is taken, then you are a USC and you MUST exit/enter the US on a US passport.

3. You need to make sure you meet the continuous residence and physical presence rules - but this only applies if you are a frequent traveler.

Lastly, 10 days is not a long time, and normally you will get biometrics appointment 2-3 weeks before it is scheduled. You can always go for a walk-in if the dates are during your travel time.

Same goes for interview that it will be scheduled about 2-3 weeks later....

Hi there

are you saying the actual scheduling of the interview can be two or three weeks after the bio ?

I understood that around 5 or 6 weeks for all the cia/fbi stuff was normal (from bio date) and then they give you 3 weeks notice of the interview after that

I can't believe interview actually happens 3 weeks after bio - that can't be right

moresheep400100.jpg

Hi there

are you saying the actual scheduling of the interview can be two or three weeks after the bio ?

I understood that around 5 or 6 weeks for all the cia/fbi stuff was normal (from bio date) and then they give you 3 weeks notice of the interview after that

I can't believe interview actually happens 3 weeks after bio - that can't be right

No I meant that 2-3 weeks after the letter is received.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Timeline

yes that sounds right

so two or three weeks notice of bio then 5 or 6 weeks before notice of interview which itself is say 3 weeks after the appointment letter ?

Does this sound right ?

Also the word is out there that doing a walk in three weeks before bio appointment saves nothing - and the interview notice letter will still be 6 week or so after the original bio date

Have you heard that ?

moresheep400100.jpg

not sure about the timeline... but correct, biometrics walk-ins do not affect or speedup the process. Biometrics are processed by the FBI. Therefore, whenever USCIS gets to the application, they will check the FBI's background check and will move on to processing the application.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Timeline

not sure about the timeline... but correct, biometrics walk-ins do not affect or speedup the process. Biometrics are processed by the FBI. Therefore, whenever USCIS gets to the application, they will check the FBI's background check and will move on to processing the application.

With a walk-in, they must either:

A not send em to FBI until the original FP date

or

B send em straight away but not resume processing until their plan date, even though the FBI has returned a report

This must be a USCIS policy so people don't all start doing walk ins thinking they will speed it up ... that's the only thing that makes sense..

moresheep400100.jpg

With a walk-in, they must either:

A not send em to FBI until the original FP date

or

B send em straight away but not resume processing until their plan date, even though the FBI has returned a report

This must be a USCIS policy so people don't all start doing walk ins thinking they will speed it up ... that's the only thing that makes sense..

I think B is correct. Some members called the FBI to see if their biometrics cleared or even were processed and some got back a reply that they were processed almost a week after they were taken. So those members were waiting for a while and never heard anything from USCIS.... hence they were searching for possible reasons for the delay. Therefore, the delay is at USCIS and it is a matter of them getting to your application when it reaches the top of their stack.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Timeline

I think B is correct. Some members called the FBI to see if their biometrics cleared or even were processed and some got back a reply that they were processed almost a week after they were taken. So those members were waiting for a while and never heard anything from USCIS.... hence they were searching for possible reasons for the delay. Therefore, the delay is at USCIS and it is a matter of them getting to your application when it reaches the top of their stack.

That would suggest that when they come back from the fbi, they just go into the pile and they are not deliberately delayed

If they are not deliberately delayed, then doing walk ins would speed it up as they would get into the pile quicker..

we need a spy !

I don't think they have the technology to schedule them for the original FP date - I think it's like you say, that they just flow when they flow

So walk ins would speed em up compared to going 3 weeks later...

Research time on people's timelines needed !

Not now as I am trying to clean the carpets ready for the return of she who must be obeyed tomorrow... Its a new carpet shampoo machine and has sucked up what looks like 50 cats worth of cat hair...

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

My bf is in a similar position. His LPR is dated Nov 7th and I think he is eligible for citizenship now but he is deciding to wait until later in the month around the next time he gets paid. He wants to come back for my graduation from university late October but it will only be for about 4 - 7 days because it is all the vacation time he has accumulated so far and he is wondering if it would be a problem.

My Husband's naturalization timeline:
08/25/10: My Husband finally posts his naturalization application
09/01/10: Text message & e-mail notification acknowledging receipt of application. Forwarded to NBC
09/04/10: I-797 Received in the mail. Priority Date: August 30th 2010
02/02/11: Naturalization Interview (Postponed due to weather and probably backlogged)
03/11/11: Naturalization Interview..........PASSED!!!!!!!!
04/20/11: Oath Ceremony

02/04/11: Civil Marriage Ceremony in New York
02/05/12: Religious Marriage Ceremony in Barbados

USCIS
05/09/12: I-130 Sent
05/14/12: I-130 NOA1
01/17/13: I-130 NOA2

NVC
02/04/13: NVC Received
02/21/13: Case number assigned
02/22/13: Called and got case number & gave e-mail addresses
02/24/13: Emailed DS3032
02/25/13: AOS bill generated and paid
03/06/13: DS3032 Accepted
03/06/13: AOS appears as "PAID"
03/07/13: IV bill generated and paid
03/08/13: IV bill shows as "PAID"
03/11/13: Mailed AOS & IV Packets
03/13/13: NVC Received AOS & IV Packets
03/26/13: Case Complete!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!

04/10/13: Medical Exam
05/08/13: Interview

event.png

Timeline

My bf is in a similar position. His LPR is dated Nov 7th and I think he is eligible for citizenship now but he is deciding to wait until later in the month around the next time he gets paid. He wants to come back for my graduation from university late October but it will only be for about 4 - 7 days because it is all the vacation time he has accumulated so far and he is wondering if it would be a problem.

yes he is entitled to file now

however end october is critical time and he may be on interview about then if he filed now

I filed this week and i am guessing fp letter next friday, walkin monday, and interview mid october to end october

i will do my uk trip straight after fp walk in - within 2 weeks

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.