tcTTct

Hi - introducing myself and my somewhat unique situation.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Everybody.

20 years ago I met a beautiful girl in Vietnam when I came back for a visit, fell hopelessly in love but because of the fact that I was too young, wasn't even in college yet, could not financially support her, and family pressure on both sides for us to continue with our studies or face being disowned etc, we had to break up. She married on the rebound and I continued on with my life thinking that she'd forgotten about me. I also married and have my own path in life.

Fast forward 20 years, I got in contact with her by chance earlier this year, my Mom, who lives in another country, got diagnosed with breast cancer (she is now pretty much cured because it was stage 1 and she went through the chemo, wanted to go back to Vietnam to see my sister. I decided to visit Vietnam after 17 years because I haven't seen my sister and Mom together for 14 years.

During this trip, I had the chance to meet my girl from 20 years ago. The embers from our relationship still exist and we fell hopelessly in love once again, only this time with lots of life baggage as we both have children. We tried to break off the relationship 4 times because we know that it's the selfish thing to do to break up our own families for our own happiness but we just couldn't do it. We realized that we married the wrong people and should have been together all along. So now we are going through our own divorces in order to be together. My divorce is uncontested and fairly amicable because my ex-wife glad to be rid of me too. My girlfriend's divorce in Vietnam is going OK. We are trying to make sure that the kids are not impacted any more than necessary by being as non-confrontational with our current spouses as possible

How I hate California's mandatory 6 month waiting period for dissolution of marriage. Why can't it be 10 days like some other states :(

We intend to file for the K1 as soon as both divorces are finalized late this year. Hopefully there won't be any red flags as to why we were together while we were both married. At least I still have photos of us as a couple from 2 decades ago to possibly allay any doubts that our feelings and relationship is not genuine.

Wish me luck!

tcT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Wow! It's good that both of ur spouses are being mature about the divorce. Just make sure u do keep the kids away from all the BS! Other than that - good luck! :)

event.png

~ WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS - MAKE ORANGE JUICE AND LEAVE EVERYBODY WONDERING ~

USCIS
04-01-2010 NOA1
08-16-2010 NOA2

NVC
08-30-2010 NVC CASE# ASSIGNED
10-07-2010 EXPEDITION GRANTED!!! SIF!!!
10-21-2010 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!
11-02-2010 VISA IN HAND!

USA
11-08-2010 POE Philadelphia
12-07-2010 Welcome Letter and NOA for Green card
12-13-2010 GREEN CARD IN HAND!

ROC
09-04-2012 Filed ROC package (VSC)
09-07-2012 NOA 1
04-15-2013 ROC APPROVED!
04-20-2013 10 Year Green Card Received!

NATURALIZATION

02-20-2014 Application for Naturalization Package Mailed to NSC

02-23-2014 Application received by NSC

03-04-2014 Check for application fee cashed

03-08-2014 NOA came in the mail with notice date of 03-04-2014

03-17-2014 Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail

03-24-2014 Biometrics appointment in Tucson, AZ

05-13-2014 Interview at Tucson, AZ - PASS!

06-13-2014 Oath Ceremony in Tucson, AZ!

06-13-2014 I am a United States Citizen!

That's a great story.

Both me & my wife were previously married, with children

and wished we had found each other 20 years ago.

It's good you have the old pics as HCMC is a very tough room to play,

but there are lots of good VJ members with Vietnamese SO's

to help you along the way.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Those old photos will be a huge plus.. but HCMC will likely still think something funny is goin on...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Oh well, I have those old photos and old letters - back when people still wrote letters. I also intend to make multiple trips back to VN before and after the divorces before filing the K1. Anything to offset the fact that we don't want a Dam Hoi ceremony. We don't need to ask anybody for permission and nobody approves of our relationship anyway :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.