lilacvioletiris

establishing U.S. credit

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just updated my last name on a credit card to my married name. I wanted to make my husband (who is from Canada) the joint user so he could start accumulating U.S. credit history. But the customer service person I dealt with said it was okay to make them an authorized user and they took his name and U.S. SSN# but they didn't take his birth date.

Will this actually give U.S. credit as an authorized user?

It's the SSN that most credit runs off of, not the DOB, so you should be fine. I've had my name as an authorized user before on an ex's card, and they didn't even take my SSN, but it showed up as a good account on my credit report somehow.

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am an authorized user on several of my husbands credit cards. I haven't applied for any in just my name, as he has way more credit cards than we really need, and it works the same. We purchased a new car a few weeks back and they let me be the primary on the loan, so I think it's safe to assume that I have established at least some credit based on that.

Filed: Other Timeline

I have stellar credit and my wife never had any, so I added her as an authorized user to two of my credit cards and when for the first time in a long time we ordered a credit report from the 3 major credit bureaus for her, the "good" credit and payment history showed up on all 3 of them.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Any Canadians using RBC? I've got an appointment today to open an Embassy Account (with their US division) and my credit's following me.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

No branches on the West Coast, but still it's a huge relief to know that I'll have my good credit history available to me when the time comes.

Jan 09 - Met online
Jun 09 - Met in person
Apr 10 - Engaged
Jun 5, 10 - Married
July 1, 10 - I-130 Received at USCIS Lockbox
July 8, 10 - Cheque cashed
July 9, 10 - NOA 1
Nov 3, 10 - Touched!
Nov 4, 10 - Touched!
Nov 5, 10 - Approved!! NOA 2 by email

NVC Received File -
Nov 12, 10 - Received Case #/Opted into Electronic Processing DS3032 Sent

Nov 18, 10 - I-864(AOS) fee payment Received
Nov 20, 10 - I-864 (AOS) PAID
Nov 21, 10 - Opted out of Electronic Processing
Nov 23, 10 - Resent DS-3032, Attn Supervisor Sue
Nov 24, 10 - IV Bill Invoiced
Nov 29, 10 - IV Bill Paid
Nov 29, 10 - AOS and IV Forms Sent by Fedex
Nov 30, 10 - AOS and IV Forms Received by NVC (Thank you J. Desmond!)
Dec 8, 10 - AOS and IV Forms Entered into System
Dec 31, 10 - Sign in Failed
Dec 30, 10 - Case Completed
Mar 2, 11 - APPROVED!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!!
Mar 12, 11 - POE (Trudeau Airport) I-551 issued!

ROC
Dec 13, 12 - ROC window open
Dec 21, 12 - Sent paperwork to CSC
Dec 26, 12 - Got confirmation of delivery from USPS
Dec 27, 12 - Check goes through
Dec 28, 12 - NOA1!
Jan 30, 13 - Biometrics
Jun 13, 13 - RFE
Jun 16, 13 - RFE response sent
Jul 5, 13 - ROC APPROVED!!! Waiting for new card

Jul 11, 13 - 10 year GC received!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im with RBC, my American Fiancee is with a Colorado branch. Im just wondering...does anyone know the best way to go about to transfer all my money and savings to a Colorado bank? Is it best to terminate my account with RBC and put all my money in a certified check and then give to my new bank?

I understand I wont have a credit history in the US, so when I move is it best my fiancee make his account joint with me?

Im with RBC, my American Fiancee is with a Colorado branch. Im just wondering...does anyone know the best way to go about to transfer all my money and savings to a Colorado bank? Is it best to terminate my account with RBC and put all my money in a certified check and then give to my new bank?

I would do a wire transfer.

I understand I wont have a credit history in the US, so when I move is it best my fiancee make his account joint with me?

I would do a wire transfer

Edited by nickbits

Timeline

That would be the best thing to do. It's also great evidence if you end up with an AOS interview.

Is the Colorado branch your husband banks with possibly First Bank? I ask because that's what we use, and they are very easy to deal with. When we went to add me to his account, it was an extremely simple process. They didn't even ask for prof of my immigration status.

Timeline

I really didn't. I moved to the US the day after I graduated college... there wasn't much in money in the bank to account for! :lol: I paid off my debts, took some cash with me, and left the rest in my Canadian account to pay for any lose ends that came up.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

My Japanese Spouse is having trouble getting approval for a credit Card any suggestions?

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.