shewolf

Montreal Interview experiences??

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone! Can you guys post your interview experiences at the Montreal consulate here please?? The recent ones only. :) Questions asked, fees paid, wait times, how many people were there in line with you etc... My interview will be sometime in August. Thanks so much!

Timeline

There are hundreds of these and in fact there is a section for them on VJ, there is a link at the top of this page entitled " Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE" - just click on that then select Canada from the country list. You can also try an advanced search of the Canada forum.

No fee for a CR1 visa, unless you filed DCF.

As for requesting only "recent ones" - every review I have read here from Montreal is pretty much the same, it's not like they are changing them up all the time :hehe:

Don't forget your expresspost mailer, to take with you to the interview, more info on that here:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada#Which_Canada_Post_Expresspost_mailer_to_take_with_you_to_the_interview

I'm moving your thread from the CR1/IR1 forum to the Canada forum, you should get more answers there as this is consulate specific.

Edited by trailmix

Hi Shewolf! We have our interview in less than 2 weeks, we will post something then!

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiancee received a letter from the Montreal consulate dated 6/18/2010 that she is scheduled for a K-1 visa interview on 8/16/2010 at 8am. I suppose that is fast processing (I have to lookup the actual dates this evening and will post our timeline).

Question is, that following weekend (8/20/2010) we're both supposed to attend a friend's wedding in Pennslyvania (I'm in NY). Assuming she has no problem passing the interview, how long does the Montreal consulate take to issue the visa? That is, if the interview is on Monday morning, can she pick up her Visa later that day? or would she have to wait to receive it in the mail? If that's the case, she would have to return to her parent's house in Toronto for a few days while waiting for the passport to arrive.

Another option is to email the Consulate (assuming they reply fast) to ask the interview be scheduled for the following week if possible.

Any thoughts/concerns/etc. that we should be aware of?

Thanks for help!

Timeline

Hi,

If you try to reschedule you probably will not get an interview the next week. You will probably have to go to the back of the line, so that could take a few months.

As for picking up the visa, say, the next day. That is completely up to the CO that does the interview. It does not hurt to ask but you should not be making travel plans based on that.

Normally they will mail out the visa, it takes a week or two, generally, to arrive. You must bring a self addressed expresspost envelope with you to the interview for them to send the passport back.

Hi all,

My fiancee received a letter from the Montreal consulate dated 6/18/2010 that she is scheduled for a K-1 visa interview on 8/16/2010 at 8am. I suppose that is fast processing (I have to lookup the actual dates this evening and will post our timeline).

Question is, that following weekend (8/20/2010) we're both supposed to attend a friend's wedding in Pennslyvania (I'm in NY). Assuming she has no problem passing the interview, how long does the Montreal consulate take to issue the visa? That is, if the interview is on Monday morning, can she pick up her Visa later that day? or would she have to wait to receive it in the mail? If that's the case, she would have to return to her parent's house in Toronto for a few days while waiting for the passport to arrive.

Another option is to email the Consulate (assuming they reply fast) to ask the interview be scheduled for the following week if possible.

Any thoughts/concerns/etc. that we should be aware of?

Thanks for help!

Hi and Welcome to VJ! Congrats on your interview date!

As far as I heard the consulate does not issue K-1 visas the same day, and the chances of her getting it in 2 days are almost impossible. If you email the consulate with a request for another interview date, it won't be the week after. They seem to assign interviews in month batches. You would probably have to wait a minimum of 2 to 3 months before your next interview date. If you're ok with waiting another at least 2 months (could be much longer) then re-schedule.

Also, if you miraculously persuaded the officer to issue the visa the same day, your fiancee would have to MOVE the date you enter the US. Not just got for a visit for the wedding, then go back home and pick up her stuff.

If it were me, I'd cancel my RSVP to the wedding and explain to your friend what happened. I'm sure he/she will understand, and just send them a nice gift.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

had my interview in April. Be early...like REALLY early...I wasn't and was there till afternoon. It was very uneventful, the guy that interviewed me was very pleasant and asked basic questions. Have all your documents prepared...he spent alot of time looking for one document and I found it faster in my pile then he could in his.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Timeline

For the vast majority, the interview experience in Mtl hasnt changed in years! Get there early to avoid the line ups, many arrive around 0630'ish!! No big bags/purses, NO electronics of any kind, that includes car key chains!! Those legal size plastic accordion folders that have like 13 compartments are great for organizing ur paperwork! have ur passport and interview letter at the rdy. You go thru airport like security, so no metal on ya (coins, belt, etc) makes for a quicker/painless entry. Elevator opens from the REAR!! Your # is called on a board thats in the middle of the room. It makes a noise everytime a new # is called, and like a good monkey--u will look at the board after each noise,lol The interview itself is VERY quick. Lucky to be in the room for 10 min and most of that time is the consulate dude/dudette looking over ur paperwork. They ask very basic questions, ie: how u met, what ur USA spouse/fiance does in the USA. What you did in Canada, what are ur plans for employment in the USA. If it were I, I would ask to have the visa that day or next--All they can do is say no!! Ensure u copy down the tracking # of the Cdn post envelope you handed them! Keep in mind they may not mail it out right away! AND keep in mind sometimes the tracking # doesnt work, and viola, the pkg arrives at ur residence unannounced! Some are lucky and get the pkg in a few days, some has taken weeks, and yes, that causes a pain in the butt to book airplane tickets. I'm sure its just another way that USCIS can stick it to ya,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.