MissJulieB

Need some Direction from some pro's!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I were married in 2009 here in Canada. My husband and I are wanting to apply for me to go to the USA but we are not sure what to do or how to do it. MY husband is due to be going home soon as he is here visiting, and we would like to have a clear picture of what to do next.?

Can we apply for me to go to the USA from within Canada? Can we apply by going to a consulate office here in the province of Alberta?

What will my husband need to do once he goes back to the Usa to get this moving?

Will I have to interview with him or without him in either Vancouver or Montreal if I am in Alberta? Whats the interview for anyways?

Sorry so many questions..

Thanks

MissJ

"My God supply's all my needs"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Julie :)

Since you are married, you will need to apply for CR-1 visa. You can read about the steps involved here: The Guides

Your husband will need to file a petition for you from the USA, at which time you will remain in Canada to wait out the approval of the visa. However, you can still make trips to the US to visit him if you wish, staying as long as a regular visitor is permitted to stay (possibly up to 6 months) He cannot apply directly at a consulate in Canada (DCF) unless he is residing in Canada.

All CR-1 visa interviews take place in Montreal. He certainly can come to the interview with you if he wishes, but it isn't required, you can go alone. The interview is to ultimately determine your eligibility for the visa. The interviewing officer will ask you questions about your relationship to ensure there is no visa fraud at play, and you will also need to present certain documents that are required before they issue the visa to you. For most couples the interview is rather straightforward.

You wouldnt have heard it better from an immigration attorney!! Good job Huggles!!! :star::thumbs:

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi and welcome,

As Huggles mentioned, it's a good idea to read the guide first.

You need to start with forms I-130 and G-325A, which you will read about. These you will send to USCIS to start the CR1 process. You might want to download the forms and have them all filled out to send in now or when your Husband gets back to the U.S.

You cannot apply at the consulate in Calgary, to do that both parties must live in Canada. You will ultimately interview in Montreal.

The interview is basically so that they can look at you, ask you a few questions - nothing too awful, just an awfully long trip to Montreal :)

You will also need to have a medical, done by a panel physician in Canada. There are 4, one in Vancouver, 1 in Montreal and 2 in Toronto.

Anyway, once you have read the guides you will have questions and we are here to help!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

oh...and do not freak out about the Medical at this point.... With a CR-1, you cannot schedual it until officially notified of Interview date in Montreal.....

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Timeline

I just read your other tax thread, I see your Husband has been living here for a year. Is he just a visitor - or does he have any other status in Canada?

Oh and just an fyi, this whole process will take around 10 months to a year.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.