melika

Affidavit of Support

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I've started the K1 visa process and I'm wondering how I go about the affidavit of support that I have to submit later (after review, acceptance, etc). I'm a student and will be graduating this summer. I havent made enough money to file taxes for probably 2 or 3 years now, and do not currently have a job. By the time I graduate, my parents will still be supporting me (as they have been) and my fiance's parents are also supporting and will continue to support him. I know that the petitioning fiance is allowed to have a sponsor, but I'm a little confused about how exactly to go about filing this form. Do I have one or both of my parents fill it out as sponsor(s)? Should his parents also fill out more affidavits? I guess I should mention that I'm a U.S. citizen and he is Chilean. Would non-U.S. citizens be able to file?

Any help would be appreciated!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I've started the K1 visa process and I'm wondering how I go about the affidavit of support that I have to submit later (after review, acceptance, etc). I'm a student and will be graduating this summer. I havent made enough money to file taxes for probably 2 or 3 years now, and do not currently have a job. By the time I graduate, my parents will still be supporting me (as they have been) and my fiance's parents are also supporting and will continue to support him. I know that the petitioning fiance is allowed to have a sponsor, but I'm a little confused about how exactly to go about filing this form. Do I have one or both of my parents fill it out as sponsor(s)? Should his parents also fill out more affidavits? I guess I should mention that I'm a U.S. citizen and he is Chilean. Would non-U.S. citizens be able to file?

Any help would be appreciated!

You should read the guides (see the link at the top of the page). That's always a good place to start. Some of your questions would have been answered quickly there.

Non US citizens may not file for a fiancee visa.

You will be the primary sponsor for your fiance, even if you don't have enough income to qualify. I just wanted to clarify that point because your statement that you're "allowed to have a sponsor" indicates you might not have understood it. If you don't have enough income, then you can usually use what USCIS refers to as a "joint sponsor", or what is often referred to on this site as a "co-sponsor". However, with a fiance visa (or any other non-immigrant type visa) it's entirely up to the consulate whether to accept your co-sponsor. Some consulates are picky about whom they will accept, and some very rarely accept them under any conditions. Check the regional forums for your fiance's country, and also read the embassy reviews (link at top of page).

You must fill out an affidavit of support (the I-134 is used for fiance visas at pretty much all consulates). If you are also using a co-sponsor, then your co-sponsor must also fill out an affidavit of support. Most consulates also want the most recent year's tax return to substantiate income. If you didn't submit a tax return last year, then you are supposed to include a letter explaining why you were not required to file. They may also ask for recent pay stubs and/or a letter from the employer stating when the employee began working, and their annual income. Each consulate makes it's own rules about what evidence needs to be included, so you must find out from the consulate where your fiance will interview.

Most consulates only permit ONE co-sponsor with the I-134. This means that, in all likelihood, only one of your parents will be able to co-sponsor, and they will have to show that they alone have enough income to qualify based on their household size. The household size will include your fiance, and anyone else they claim as dependents on their tax return. It may also include other people whom they provide support for, including any other aliens they have signed an affidavit of support for. If your parents file a joint tax return, then the parent who becomes you co-sponsor will need to provide financial documents showing their own separate income, since a tax return alone won't differentiate between them.

There's a wealth of information about this topic in the US Embassy and Consulate Discussion section of this forum. Get a cup of coffee, relax, and start reading. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Thanks a bunch!!!

You should read the guides (see the link at the top of the page). That's always a good place to start. Some of your questions would have been answered quickly there.

Non US citizens may not file for a fiancee visa.

You will be the primary sponsor for your fiance, even if you don't have enough income to qualify. I just wanted to clarify that point because your statement that you're "allowed to have a sponsor" indicates you might not have understood it. If you don't have enough income, then you can usually use what USCIS refers to as a "joint sponsor", or what is often referred to on this site as a "co-sponsor". However, with a fiance visa (or any other non-immigrant type visa) it's entirely up to the consulate whether to accept your co-sponsor. Some consulates are picky about whom they will accept, and some very rarely accept them under any conditions. Check the regional forums for your fiance's country, and also read the embassy reviews (link at top of page).

You must fill out an affidavit of support (the I-134 is used for fiance visas at pretty much all consulates). If you are also using a co-sponsor, then your co-sponsor must also fill out an affidavit of support. Most consulates also want the most recent year's tax return to substantiate income. If you didn't submit a tax return last year, then you are supposed to include a letter explaining why you were not required to file. They may also ask for recent pay stubs and/or a letter from the employer stating when the employee began working, and their annual income. Each consulate makes it's own rules about what evidence needs to be included, so you must find out from the consulate where your fiance will interview.

Most consulates only permit ONE co-sponsor with the I-134. This means that, in all likelihood, only one of your parents will be able to co-sponsor, and they will have to show that they alone have enough income to qualify based on their household size. The household size will include your fiance, and anyone else they claim as dependents on their tax return. It may also include other people whom they provide support for, including any other aliens they have signed an affidavit of support for. If your parents file a joint tax return, then the parent who becomes you co-sponsor will need to provide financial documents showing their own separate income, since a tax return alone won't differentiate between them.

There's a wealth of information about this topic in the US Embassy and Consulate Discussion section of this forum. Get a cup of coffee, relax, and start reading. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.