Team J and B

How long does it take to receive Canadian Cit. Card for Baby?

42 posts in this topic

No I am not a photographer. As per the photo specifications

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0021E.pdf see NOTE:

[quote]Note: In the case of a child under 12 months of age, photos do not need to meet the citizenship specifications.

The photo must be of the child only and must clearly show the face of the child. The photos do not need

to be signed or dated by a photographer.

My son is under 12 months.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
No I am not a photographer. As per the photo specifications

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0021E.pdf see NOTE:

[quote]Note: In the case of a child under 12 months of age, photos do not need to meet the citizenship specifications.

The photo must be of the child only and must clearly show the face of the child. The photos do not need

to be signed or dated by a photographer.

My son is under 12 months.

Neiks-Thanks for the reply...

Wow....It is certainly easier for babies to get citizenship cards....No need to meet photo and photographer specs!

Lol..It's hard enough to get babies to be photographed anyways....:lol:

So yeah, one less thing to worry about...Is good...:)

Hmmm....(you're really making me re-think this this for my son....lol....)

Good luck with your cert. card for your son too!

Ant

P.S. On an un-related note..I've always wondered what border guards "see" when they scan identification into their computer systems...hmm....

For example, the last time I went to Canada, they scanned mine and my husband's EDL into the system....(but not my Canadian passport...interesting...)

Was it just the basics (name, address, birthdate, physical description, country of citizenship, birth country, etc) or something else? Hmmm........

Also, do they keep all this information in some kind of a database or something? Especially for those who don't have passports...

Either way, glad that they let us through, and had no problems......

Just wondering...and very curious...that's all.....lol....

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

P.S. On an un-related note..I've always wondered what border guards "see" when they scan identification into their computer systems...hmm....

For example, the last time I went to Canada, they scanned mine and my husband's EDL into the system....(but not my Canadian passport...interesting...)

Was it just the basics (name, address, birthdate, physical description, country of citizenship, birth country, etc) or something else? Hmmm........

Also, do they keep all this information in some kind of a database or something? Especially for those who don't have passports...

Either way, glad that they let us through, and had no problems......

Just wondering...and very curious...that's all.....lol....

Sorry, that's top secret. lol..... on a need to know basis.... so need to know that I don't even know.... maybe I would if our port had this "ID scanning system" but the port I work at doesn't have such a thing.

Sorry, that's top secret. lol..... on a need to know basis.... so need to know that I don't even know.... maybe I would if our port had this "ID scanning system" but the port I work at doesn't have such a thing.

Neiks-Lol...I guess that information really is "top secret" after all.... <_< (wonders what the secret is...that even employees don't know....hmm....)

Either way, I'm glad that whatever they have on the computer doesn't give me or my family any problems when we cross the borders...

Crossing the border can be scary at times (more so on the US side than the Canadian side....go figure...)....

Nevertheless, I hope for everyone that there are more positive experiences crossing the borders than negative ones...:thumbs:

Funny, nowadays, I tend to think..."I'm a citizen of both Canada and the USA...Surely they have to let me back 'home' in both countries!"...:lol: (which definitely makes thinks easier that way...lol...though somewhat confusing......lol.....)

Ant

P.S. By the way...One more question....Can I cross into Canada without my Canadian passport?...Will they still let me into Canada with just an EDL and saying that I'm American, or do I always have to show Canadian citizenship since I'm Canadian too? (lol..my husband and I are debating about this too....please tell me that I'm right in saying that I have to bring my Canadian passport too..lol...). Thanks...

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quick update:

January 23, 2010 received acknowledgment letter for our child from CIC. They give us 5-7 months time frame for Canadian Citizenship card if no other info is needed.

Edited by Team J and B

January 23, 2010 received acknowledgment letter for our child from CIC. They give us 5-7 months time frame for Canadian Citizenship card if no other info is needed.

I think I must have send my son's application after yours. Hmmm, but then again I did send mine via Canada post and used my Canadian address as mailing address. Did you send yours from US? Time will tell if there is an advantage mailing it from Canada and using a Canadian address.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Quick update:

Application for Canadian citizenship sent in to Nova Scotia for Baby Monkey: Sept. 15, 2009.

Acknowledgment letter received from CIC: Jan. 23, 2010

Citizenship card for Baby Monkey issued: March 27, 2010

Citizenship card for Baby Monkey received in mail (no other documents requested): April 3, 2010.

So for us it took 6.5 months to receive it.

Hope this helps.

Quick update:

Application for Canadian citizenship sent in to Nova Scotia for Baby Monkey: Sept. 15, 2009.

Acknowledgment letter received from CIC: Jan. 23, 2010

Citizenship card for Baby Monkey issued: March 27, 2010

Citizenship card for Baby Monkey received in mail (no other documents requested): April 3, 2010.

So for us it took 6.5 months to receive it.

Hope this helps.

Team J and B - Congrats on your son getting his Canadian citizenship! Thanks for the update here on VJ too! :thumbs:

Wow, 6.5 months, that was fast, indeed! Good to know...;)

(especially in case I ever do it for my son later, or if I ever lose my Canadian citizenship card and need a replacement...)

Lol...It sure was quicker for him to go through immigration than the rest of us....lol...

Lucky dual citizen baby, indeed! :star:

Ant

P.S. Are you going to apply for a Canadian passport for your son too?

P.P.S. Glad you found your 'missing message thread' too...lol......

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Timeline

Hi, ADBA! How are you?

At this stage, I will hold back on getting a Canadian passport for my son, because I feel it's an extra cost. He has an American passport and we don't travel to any "un-American friendly" countries. Once he's in grade school and we do more traveling, then we will probably go ahead and get a Canadian passport as it's more travel-friendly. With my to-be born #2, we will be doing the same thing.

(The search function did not work for me. Took me a long time to find this thread!)

Still waiting on my sons. I had to get his pictures redone as they were not the correct specifications even though it says this on the website.

Note: In the case of a child under 12 months of age, photos do not need to meet the citizenship specifications. The photo must be of the child only and must clearly show the face of the child. The photos do not need to be signed or dated by a photographer.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0021E.pdf

So advice to anyone doing pictures for their infant - just get them done to the adult specs because clearly they don't follow that exception note. They sent my pictures back with the same specification sheet as in the link except that "note" wasn't on it.

• 8 months later...

It took over a year for me to receive my sons Canadian citizenship card due to the hang up about the photo. I actually called the service center to check on it and amazingly enough it showed up within a month of the call. It was like they pulled it out of the pile and processed it after I called.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.