merryeye27

Certified Translation of Docs

10 posts in this topic

Can somebody please explain what a "certified translation" is? What makes it certified? Who does them? Where do we go?

In a related question, if his birth certificate is in Turkish, but there are English (and French) equivalents on the back, do we still need a certified translation?

(1) certified means the translator included USCIS's standard form statment that the translation is correct. No special certification is required. That language is available all over this site.

(2) if it is in english already, the translation is not necessary, but you might include a clear reference to it. The reviewer will likely not speak Turkish, so how would they know the English is a translation of the Turkish.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
Can somebody please explain what a "certified translation" is? What makes it certified? Who does them? Where do we go?

In a related question, if his birth certificate is in Turkish, but there are English (and French) equivalents on the back, do we still need a certified translation?

he needs go to a translation center. I think your fiancee is Turkish. Tell him to go to a certified translation center ( yeminli tercüme bürosu )

for ur second question, I don't think you need a translation for that doc since it is an original doc and already in english on the back ...

Edited by Gil + Pel

I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious...

05-21-2009 I-129F SENT

05-29-2009 NOA1

06-10-2009 Touched

08-26-2009 NOA2 !!! :)

08-29-2009 NOA2 hard copy received

08-28-2009 NVC received

09-01-2009 NVC left

09-04-2009 Consulate received

09-10-2009 E-mail received from embassy regarding package 3 ( no paper instructions received. only e-mail )

09-24-2009 Package 3 sent

12-01-2009 Interview date !!! :)VISA APPROVED!!!

12-03-2009 Visa in hand !!! :)

12-27-2009 POE ( JFK )! fast and smooth!

01-04-2010 MARRIED :)

01-26-2010 AOS package sent ( usps express mail )

01-27-2010 Received by USCIS

02-03-2010 Check cashed

02-05-2010 NOA1 received (I-485,I-765,I-131)

02-12-2010 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received (02-26-2010) DONE!!!

03-08-2010 Received a letter that says my finger prints should be re-taken.(appointment date 03/23/2010)

03-11-2010 Biometrics Re-taken (early walk in)

03-24-2010 EAD Approval Notice. (via e-mail)

03-26-2010 Interview Letter Received! (04-27-2010)

03-27-2010 AP Documents Received (Approval date is 03-23-2010)

04-01-2010 EAD Card Received

04-27-2010 GC APPROVED!!!

05-28-2010 GC RECEIVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

he needs go to a translation center. I think your fiancee is Turkish. Tell him to go to a certified translation center ( yeminli tercüme bürosu )

for ur second question, I don't think you need a translation for that doc since it is an original doc and already in english on the back ...

Not correct. ANYONE competent in both labguages can do the translation. Even yourself. The certicification isa statement which says the person doing the translation "certifies" that they are competent in both languages and it is a true and correct translation of the original document. They sign it (does NOT need to be notarized) and give their name, address and phone number.

My wife has done dozens of translations for Rssian and Ukrainian documents. Translation requirements for other countries DO NOT apply to the US Consulate or USCIS and regardless of what translators in other countries are required to do, the translation MUST have the "certification" Be sure you have this included if you use a foreign translation service.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

For probably the millionth time on this site:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

See Tips on Assembly

That is all NOTHING more.

Edited by brlukath

Timeline

Not correct. ANYONE competent in both labguages can do the translation. Even yourself. The certicification isa statement which says the person doing the translation "certifies" that they are competent in both languages and it is a true and correct translation of the original document. They sign it (does NOT need to be notarized) and give their name, address and phone number.

My wife has done dozens of translations for Rssian and Ukrainian documents. Translation requirements for other countries DO NOT apply to the US Consulate or USCIS and regardless of what translators in other countries are required to do, the translation MUST have the "certification" Be sure you have this included if you use a foreign translation service.

I do not think I am wrong cause that is how it works out here in TURKEY. so he needs to go to a translation center ...

I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious...

05-21-2009 I-129F SENT

05-29-2009 NOA1

06-10-2009 Touched

08-28-2009 NVC received

09-01-2009 NVC left

09-10-2009 E-mail received from embassy regarding package 3 ( no paper instructions received. only e-mail )

02-03-2010 Check cashed

03-08-2010 Received a letter that says my finger prints should be re-taken.(appointment date 03/23/2010)

Timeline

I do not think I am wrong cause that is how it works out here in TURKEY. so he needs to go to a translation center ...

You are wrong. It does not matter how it works in Turkey. You are not dealing with Turkey. At no pint in this process will you deal with the Turkish government or Turkish laws. You are dealing with the United States State Department in the United States Consulate. Turkish laws have no influence or effect within the consulate or on issuing United States Visas. Ukraine also has its laws regarding translations and they are equally NULL AND VOID within the US Consulate.

Anyone competent in the two languages can do a translation with the certification as above and present to the US consulate in Ankara. It WILL be accepted.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Date Typed Name

Address

See Tips on Assembly

Thank you. That is ciorrect. I did not attempt to find it as it has been printed here so many times. This certification, attached to the translation, is the only thing you need at ANY US CONSULATE IN THE WORLD, that includes TURKEY. It is also all that is needed for the USCIS for petitions or AOS papers

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Date Typed Name

Address

See Tips on Assembly

Thank you. That is ciorrect. I did not attempt to find it as it has been printed here so many times. This certification, attached to the translation, is the only thing you need at ANY US CONSULATE IN THE WORLD, that includes TURKEY. It is also all that is needed for the USCIS for petitions or AOS papers

he can go ahead and try it. I would love to see what is gonna happen.

05-21-2009 I-129F SENT

05-29-2009 NOA1

06-10-2009 Touched

08-28-2009 NVC received

09-01-2009 NVC left

02-03-2010 Check cashed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Certified means that the person, can be anybody, there is nothing special about it, includes a statement that they sign and date, that they are proficient in translating and certify this is an accurate translation.

They can be anybody and there is not education or credentials required.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.