Waiting88

OverStay

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone here overstayed in the US but decided to go back to their country and filed for K1 visa and got approved.

Please let me know. I want some hope.

continuation.. We had filed for extention..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hmmmm.....well, if you're looking for honesty I'd say there's a small chance of approval. depending on the circumstances they may work around it. But that would be after a long thorough background check. They dont take too kindly to overstayed visas. Never been through that before so I cant really give you definitive answers. But from what I've seen in the past, its not good to have this on your record. Good luck.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Timeline
Has anyone here overstayed in the US but decided to go back to their country and filed for K1 visa and got approved.

If your fiance is still in the country, stop what you're doing right now and get an immigration attorney. You have more potential options open to you while she's still here than if she leaves now. But don't put it off. The longer she overstays the harder it's going to be.

Timeline

If your fiance is still in the country, stop what you're doing right now and get an immigration attorney. You have more potential options open to you while she's still here than if she leaves now. But don't put it off. The longer she overstays the harder it's going to be.

My fiance went back to the Philippines voluntarily. When he was here our lawyer had requested an extension for him to stay so that he can have his heart check. Our lawyer said he will prepare the waiver for us when we go to the interview. I just hope everything will turn out okay..This process is really killing me. Everyday I count the days and minutes...

Filed: Timeline
My fiance went back to the Philippines voluntarily. When he was here our lawyer had requested an extension for him to stay so that he can have his heart check. Our lawyer said he will prepare the waiver for us when we go to the interview. I just hope everything will turn out okay..This process is really killing me. Everyday I count the days and minutes...

So was the waiver approved, or was he actually in the country illegally at the time he left?

Timeline

So was the waiver approved, or was he actually in the country illegally at the time he left?

We have not fill out the waiver. The lawyer said once we go through the interview he will help us do the waiver. The lawyer said he did not overstay considering he filed for an extension...

Timeline
We have not fill out the waiver. The lawyer said once we go through the interview he will help us do the waiver. The lawyer said he did not overstay considering he filed for an extension...

So if he filed an extension, was the extension granted or denied?

It was neither... The extension was filed but the dateline that USCIS had put in there were almost close to a deadline. So they didn't really bother to respond.. Is that bad?? Do you think the waiver will save us?

Timeline

I think it's late to ask for advice as your fiance is not here anymore. If he is considered an overstay, then he will need a waiver before a petition can be granted, however Manila has a very small approval rate in terms of waiver, so I do not know why your lawyer did not tell you about that. You could have gotten married here and his overstay would have been forgiven, and he could have just applied for an advanced parole so he could travel prior receiving his greencard. Anyway, it's too late now, so hopefully your plan works out. Just FYI, without proof of approved extension, he is then considered overstay.

Good luck!

~cd

K-1 Petition

May 05 - I-129F NOA1

Oct. 02 - I-129F NOA2

Mar. 19 - 1st Interview (AP)

Mar. 23 - 2nd Interview (AP)

Aug. 27 - K-1 Visa Received

Aug. 27 - Entered US

Adjustment of Status

Oct. 08 - USCIS Received Date

Oct. 25 - I-765 NOA1 (received in mail on 10/31)

Oct. 25 - I-485 NOA1 (received in mail on 11/02)

Oct. 31 - Notice Date for ASC Appointment on 11/24 (received in mail on 11/05)

Nov. 07 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 taken

Dec. 06 - I-765 Card production ordered

Dec. 14 - I-765 Approval Notice sent

Dec. 15 - I- 485 transferred to CSC

Dec. 17 - Received EAD in mail

Dec. 24 - Transfer Notice received in mail

May 22 - Welcome Letter sent

May 28 - I - 485 Approval Notice sent

Jun 21 - Green Card Received in Mail

Timeline

I think it's late to ask for advice as your fiance is not here anymore. If he is considered an overstay, then he will need a waiver before a petition can be granted, however Manila has a very small approval rate in terms of waiver, so I do not know why your lawyer did not tell you about that. You could have gotten married here and his overstay would have been forgiven, and he could have just applied for an advanced parole so he could travel prior receiving his greencard. Anyway, it's too late now, so hopefully your plan works out. Just FYI, without proof of approved extension, he is then considered overstay.

Good luck!

~cd

I am getting depress over this... We have proof that we did file for an extension. He had to go back to the Philippines due to some family problems. We were talking what if this doesn't push through. What will be our next time? Should I go back and marry him in the Philippines? Will that be easier? I don't know what else to do? I can't imagine waiting for sooo long again. This process is killing me. I want him here..

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, when did the visa expire?

If he overstayed by more than a year,he is subject to the 10 year bar.

Six months to one year - three year bar.

But he filed for an extension and it wasn't for a frivolous purpose.

Here's something pulled from Carl Shusterman's site (experienced immigration attorney).

http://www.shusterman.com/up-eos.html

The expiration of the visa is the date we need. Is it possible he overstayed less than 180 days?

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

Here's something pulled from Carl Shusterman's site (experienced immigration attorney).

The expiration of the visa is the date we need. Is it possible he overstayed less than 180 days?

Well he was suppose to go back home on March of 06 but he overstayed and went back to the Philippines voluntarily on March 07. But they said they he did not over stay because they filed an extension.

Timeline

Well he was suppose to go back home on March of 06 but he overstayed and went back to the Philippines voluntarily on March 07. But they said they he did not over stay because they filed an extension.

Is there any hope at all for us? I'm really stress. I don't know what else to do..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.