Krikit

The Long Road Home

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So. My non-stop flight back to FLA was scheduled for 4:50pm this past Wednesday, landing in Orlando at 7:20pm. I had budgeted exactly the amount of time I required in order to have 4 hours to get to the Buffalo Airport. Unfortunately, I did not budget for other people's plans. After a few delays, my father and I finally left the house in Oakville at 1:30pm. I felt fairly confident that it wouldn't be a problem because I'd been through the Ontario/NY land crossing five times since moving to the US and knew what to expect. In fact, I had gone on a mini shopping trip to Buffalo the week before with my Mom and my daughter and I hadn't even been asked for my AP documents..... just told to have a good time and we were through. (Keep in mind that my GC had already been issued, however it had arrived at the house after I'd already left for Canada so I couldn't use it. Not that it would have mattered because they were pulling everyone with a GC into secondary that day.)

Arrived at the Queenston/Lewiston border at 2:30pm. Had decided to go that route because it is historically the quickest. Get pulled into secondary.

An hour later, after watching everyone who had been there before me, and everyone who had come after me, get processed through, I approached an officer and told him I was concerned I was going to miss my flight. He was very miffed that I was interrupting him but went over to look for our documents. They hadn't even been pulled from the vacuum tube!!! He pulled them out and put them in the cubby and mentioned to an officer that I had a plane to catch. Then he came back and yelled at me for not allowing myself enough time at the border. :blink::(

Half an hour later the officer grabs our documents, stamps the AP and the passport, and sends us on our way.... 2 minutes maximum time to process. It is now 4:00pm and highly doubtful I will make my flight. I tell my Dad not to worry about getting me to the airport on time as we race down the highway. We come to a dead stop. There is an accident up ahead. (Of course there is.)

Finally make it to the airport 15 minutes before my flight leaves. The guy at curbside check-in tells me I'm too late and to go inside. A Porter grabs my bags and jokingly asks me if I think I'm the President. I explain I was detained at the border. He then proceeds to explain to me that I always need to make sure I allow enough time to make my flight. That was it. I held up my hands and said "The last thing I need right now is another lecture." End of conversation.

The Porter apologizes and whisks me in front of the crowd waiting to check into the next flight. He gets the attention of an agent and has her book me onto a flight to Baltimore, with a connecting flight to Orlando. It was the last seat. I gave him a good tip and proceeded through security.

Upon landing in Baltimore, I learn my connecting flight has been delayed. I have a 5 hour wait. Oh. Did I mention that I had picked up a cold in Ontario? By the time we took off from Baltimore my cold had progressed to severe chest pain whenever I coughed or sneezed. I felt miserable. We landed in Orlando only to discover that the jetway was broken and we couldn't get off the plane. We were towed to another jetway.

Six hours after I would have initially landed had I not missed my original flight, I was in the car and on my way home. Until we were pulled over by the cops. They were looking for a Nissan with a drunk driver. Wrong car; mistaken identity. "Sorry about that. Have a good night." *pats the car*

It's good to be home. :blush:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh...sounds like the trip from hell :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Hope your cold gets better!!!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

could it have been any worse?!?!?!?!?!

.........at least you made it safely!! lol

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's just how it works. I don't know what it is but when you are safest... the worst happens. Shake it off, trust me. It will just be a good story down the road. :)

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Oh, Krikit. I'm so sorry you had the homecoming from hell.

Glad that you're back at home though... and keep in mind, you'll be telling this humourous story to everyone for years to come :)

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Get better soon hon :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Worst. Trip. Ever.

Though I did giggle at the last bit about being pulled over, sorry! What a way to top everything off! :lol:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: Timeline

Awwww. Thanks everybody. :blush:

I am such a worry-wart that I sat in both planes thinking..... "Maybe it's providence and God is saving me from going down in flames on the flight I was originally intended to be on and I should be grateful." And then I thought.... "But maybe it IS my turn to die and I have been diverted onto a new flight so I can fulfill my destiny and it is THIS plane that's going to crash."

I have no idea where my son gets his acting abilities from. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Awwww. Thanks everybody. :blush:

I am such a worry-wart that I sat in both planes thinking..... "Maybe it's providence and God is saving me from going down in flames on the flight I was originally intended to be on and I should be grateful." And then I thought.... "But maybe it IS my turn to die and I have been diverted onto a new flight so I can fulfill my destiny and it is THIS plane that's going to crash."

I have no idea where my son gets his acting abilities from. :lol:

Oh my goodness .. this would so be my thoughts .. I'm a fellow worry-wart from he!! :)

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Timeline

UGH......

I can relate to your post though.. Here's one of my fav quotes..

Says one who was Janet Erskine Stuart's assistant for some years, "She delighted in seeing her plan upset by unexpected events, saying that it

gave her great comfort, and that she looked on such things as an assurance that God was watching over her stewardship, was securing the accomplishment of His will, and working out His own designs. Whether she traced the secondary causes to the prayer of a child, to the imperfection of an individual, to obstacles arising from misunderstandings, or to interference of outside agencies, she was joyfully and graciously ready to recognize the indication of God's ruling hand, and to allow herself to be guided by it."

So glad you are home safe and sound :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Welcome home, Krikit;

Yes, it is rather interesting how one thing happening will inevitebley set all of the other dominos in play! Or as Robbie Burns would say "The best laid plans of mice and men were e'er to go agae"

For your cold . . . see if you can find some Sambucol at a health food or vitamin store. It really works wonders at shortening the duration of a cold.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Glad to hear you made it safely.....but definitely would have lost patience if I was you with all these people telling you "you should make sure you have enough time for customs and flight".....like you didn't!!! :no: Oh well ! Welcome back home :)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.