adamkun

Which visa do I need? (to go to Japan to marry)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello everyone!

Because of the awesome help of all you forum members I have now decided to go the DCF route in Japan!

This means that step one is to get married! I'm in the US now and one thing I can't seem to figure out is: What kind of visa do I need to get if I want to get married in Japan? If foreigners want to come to the US to marry they need a fiance visa. Japan doesn't seem to have anything like that.

Should I just go in on the visa waiver program and get married? Is there another more appropriate visa I should apply for?

Also, should I be able to get a spouse visa within the 90 days I'm allowed to stay on the VWP if I get married and apply soon after arriving?

Thanks again to everyone! This forum really is amazing.

Adam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The fiance visa in the USA is for bringing a foreign fiance here to marry and then stay and be come an immigrant to the USA. If a couple did not have intention of staying in the USA but move back to the foreign country then a visitors visa would do, a fiance visa would not be needed.

So from the perspective of Japan you are not going to Japan to marry and then live permanently in Japan so some type of fiance visa would not be needed.

You can file for DCF and if the embassy there in Japan takes longer than 90 days you spouse can interview without you there.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Ask your local Japanese Consulate... but it appears that no special visa is necessary to marry in Japan if you aren't going to be living there permanently.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html...sa/visa/faq.htm

And as YuandDan stated, you only need to be there to file the I-130. You do not need to be there for the visa interview.

And some information about marriage in Japan:

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7114a.html

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.