Piefre

Visiting US prior to K1 Filing

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've visited the US many times before for quite a few years. Whenever they ask me who I'm visiting I've always said my boyfriend and that was fine. But, this time might be different. My boyfriend has proposed and I said yes. But, we're waiting to the filing for the K1 for a few months. So, while I have the ring and he's proposed, we don't have paperwork to say we're engaged.

I'm visiting him in a couple of weeks and now I'm wondering what I should say at the border. If I say 'I'm visiting my fiance' and there are no papers filed legally, that will probably make me look really suspicious like I'm going down there to get married illegally. So I'll get denied and there will be a red flag on my file, probably. I can get a proof of employment letter and I have itinerary, but it would still look really suspicious, wouldn't it? Should I say I'm visiting my boyfriend if they ask that far? Often they ask me who I'm visiting and if I say 'friends' they press further. We don't have any paperwork filed yet for the K1, we just have a ring.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I've visited the US many times before for quite a few years. Whenever they ask me who I'm visiting I've always said my boyfriend and that was fine. But, this time might be different. My boyfriend has proposed and I said yes. But, we're waiting to the filing for the K1 for a few months. So, while I have the ring and he's proposed, we don't have paperwork to say we're engaged.

I'm visiting him in a couple of weeks and now I'm wondering what I should say at the border. If I say 'I'm visiting my fiance' and there are no papers filed legally, that will probably make me look really suspicious like I'm going down there to get married illegally. So I'll get denied and there will be a red flag on my file, probably. I can get a proof of employment letter and I have itinerary, but it would still look really suspicious, wouldn't it? Should I say I'm visiting my boyfriend if they ask that far? Often they ask me who I'm visiting and if I say 'friends' they press further. We don't have any paperwork filed yet for the K1, we just have a ring.

Nah if you get the ties to canada its not going to look suspicious at all. If they ask at all about wedding stuff, just say you're not sure as you have to file the K1 still, lets them know you know about the procedures.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Thanks, Danu. Hopefully the letter from my employer and my itinerary is all they'll need because I have no mortgage, lease, or rent to present. Hopefully I am just freaking out over nothing. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you'll have a problem. I was in your shoes too and when I was engaged and they asked I always told them the truth, that I was engaged! Be sure to be polite, confident and honest and bring proof of strong ties to Canada! A letter of employment is fantastic, and if you can, make sure it includes when you'll be expected back at work. And make sure you have a return ticket!

I found when I went from saying boyfriend to fiance, they just ask a bit more questions than usual.

You'll be fine! And I was 18 years old when I was said I was engaged, I just got asked maybe 20 questions instead of the usual 5. You'll be fine! Have a great trip!! :)

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Timeline

Both the two posts are correct! I also find that if you dont bring much, its a good sign. If youre visiting for a weekend and have like 2 HUGE check in bags, its kind of sketchy :P

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline

Thanks for all your help, everyone. It's really a relief to know there's people here who've gone through this before and can offer advice. It helps keep me grounded too, heh. I'll get the letter from my employer and hope for the best :).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in the same boat as you, Piefre. I'll be going to the US for Christmas and probably staying for a month. At that time Tim and I will be organizing all our paperwork to file, and that's exactly what I'll tell them at the border...and I'll have stuff with me to prove it. I'll have a return ticket, and a letter from my employer stating an expected return to work date (My boss is great...so accomodating! :D ) I also have NO mortgage or rent to pay, so like I said I'm in the same situation as you are. But I'm not fretting about it because VJ has prepared me! Other members are so great at calming others' fears. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the engagement!

Ditto to what everyone said in the above posts. Don't lie. I said I was visiting my fiance (still do). Before we filed the paperwrk for K1, I'd say to them "we are getting our stuff together to file the fiancee visa" if they asked any questions about marriage, etc.

In my opinion(& my experiences) mentioning the fact that you are aware of the K1 lowers any suspicions.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm in the same position and I'm worried, I plan to drive from Canada to the US with my Fiance and his sister and spend a month with him over Christmas. Then I'm flying back to Australia, then we are applying for the K1. I want to tell the truth at the boarder, "I'm spending Christmas with my Fiance" but I'm worried because I will have a lot of bags because I'm moving home, but I will have my flight home and I can print an email from my old employer offering me my job in Australia back. Will this be enough?

Service Center :--California Service Center

Consulate :--------Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent :-------2010-01-11

I-129F NOA1 :------2010-01-14

I-129F NOA2 :------2010-02-25

NVC Received :---2010-03-06

My heart breaks with every step, but each piece finds its way home to you.

8y3dhli3u.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm in the same position and I'm worried, I plan to drive from Canada to the US with my Fiance and his sister and spend a month with him over Christmas. Then I'm flying back to Australia, then we are applying for the K1. I want to tell the truth at the boarder, "I'm spending Christmas with my Fiance" but I'm worried because I will have a lot of bags because I'm moving home, but I will have my flight home and I can print an email from my old employer offering me my job in Australia back. Will this be enough?

You could also see if you have something that shows you have been living in Canada for a while that explains why you have so much luggage to begin with. That way your 'moving home' comment will be in a better context and supported by documentation. Yes, the job offer is good - definitely bring that. Is there any way you can get a date added to that offer showing you are expected back to work on such and such a date? Perhaps your acceptance email for the job will include when you are starting work? Will you be living with family or will you have a place of your own in Australia? It might help to show you have accommodation waiting for your return. Definitely have your flight information and itinerary with you.

Something to consider - are some of the things you are taking back with you to Australia things you will be bringing back to the US when your visa is approved? If so, can you do without them for the months it takes to process the visa? And, if yes, why not consider leaving them with friends in Canada? It would mean you wouldn't have as much with you, plus would probably be cheaper to move them from Canada to the US than from Australia to the US when the time comes. Just a suggestion that may or may not work :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good idea, I think I will leave some stuff here in Canada, really don't need a winter coat in Australia. thanks S

Service Center :--California Service Center

Consulate :--------Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent :-------2010-01-11

I-129F NOA1 :------2010-01-14

I-129F NOA2 :------2010-02-25

NVC Received :---2010-03-06

My heart breaks with every step, but each piece finds its way home to you.

8y3dhli3u.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.