CiscoG.

Want To move to Canada

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Im here trying to figure out where i should go or try to get some guidance. I live in the U.S. but are trying to move to canada. Now i know im probably at the wrong forum or discussion board. I am currently going to college and I close to recieve my associates in Business. Now my question is that since my immigration status is not yet set as far as any answer on my application to get a permantent recidency, and well i want to move to Canada and be close to my girlfriend which is now pregnant, long story short she is in here as much as her passport and laws limit her. So since i havent gotten an answer here i want to go over there to Toronto with her and start our lives together over there. So does any one has any idea as to where i can go or if i can get some answers here as to how i can immigrate there. I had been looking at the ways to apply for permanent residency there, im a mexican citizen as from now, and well alot of people here are canadians and seem to be very education on the subject. i been looking toward as a provincial nominee hoping that my degree could be of help, since the requirements are and i quote "have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province or territory that nominates them. They are ready to establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada" anyways i wrote to much already so if anyone can help me or guide me in the right direction i would really appreciatet that, like i said im not in the interest to do anything bad but to help and to nurish the place where i would reside.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

The first place you would want to look is here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Citizenship Canada has a really good website and it will tell you all you need to know.

You have a few options, if you get married your girlfriend could apply to sponsor your application as a permanent resident to Canada, or, if you don't really want to get married right away you may have the option of applying as a common law spouse.

I can't speak to the provincial nominee class of immigrant to Canada, as I am not familiar with it, however there is lots of information at the link I gave you above and it should answer all your questions.

Visa Journey is a message board for family immigration to the U.S. - a Canadian site that is somewhat similar is http://www.roadtocanada.com/

Good luck

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Be adivsed that there isn't free healthcare everywhere in Canada despite what you hear in the American news. If healthcare without a fee is important to you, do not go to Vancouver or B.C. as you will pay a premium for your healthcare. There are other provinces as well that require you support your own healthcare.

Having said that, it depends on what you are looking for in an environment. Please check out travel websites, photo sites and then the chamber of commerce for each city you are interested in.

If you are a white collar worker, you will want to stay in the larger cities.

Im here trying to figure out where i should go or try to get some guidance. I live in the U.S. but are trying to move to canada. Now i know im probably at the wrong forum or discussion board. I am currently going to college and I close to recieve my associates in Business. Now my question is that since my immigration status is not yet set as far as any answer on my application to get a permantent recidency, and well i want to move to Canada and be close to my girlfriend which is now pregnant, long story short she is in here as much as her passport and laws limit her. So since i havent gotten an answer here i want to go over there to Toronto with her and start our lives together over there. So does any one has any idea as to where i can go or if i can get some answers here as to how i can immigrate there. I had been looking at the ways to apply for permanent residency there, im a mexican citizen as from now, and well alot of people here are canadians and seem to be very education on the subject. i been looking toward as a provincial nominee hoping that my degree could be of help, since the requirements are and i quote "have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province or territory that nominates them. They are ready to establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada" anyways i wrote to much already so if anyone can help me or guide me in the right direction i would really appreciatet that, like i said im not in the interest to do anything bad but to help and to nurish the place where i would reside.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Alberta has no health care premiums, can't get much lower than that :lol:

Can u believe they used to charge us??? That was evil.... just cuz we were furriners :cry:

No, that was because you deserved to be charged. :P After what you did to me as a child, crimes against humanity would be a good start. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Timeline
Alberta has no health care premiums, can't get much lower than that :lol:

Can u believe they used to charge us??? That was evil.... just cuz we were furriners :cry:

No, that was because you deserved to be charged. :P After what you did to me as a child, crimes against humanity would be a good start. :lol:

:o shut up!!! :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As mentioned above, definitely check out Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website. You will want to look under several classifications - one will be family sponsorship if you and your girlfriend have a permanent relationship. I don't know if you would qualify as common-law even though you are together right now in the US, until after your child is born. btw- you girlfriend does NOT want to give birth in the US - she would have to pay for medical care and it is not cheap.

You mentioned Provincial nominees - I think you will have a hard sell. Canada does not recognize Associate Degrees. The minimal degree recognized is a Bachelor's Degree. As well, a lot will depend upon your area of study and what other experience you bring with you. Here is a link to the National occupation Database for Canada explaining what positions are available: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx Provincial nominees tend to be for positions which are in short supply and for which there is an immediate need such as doctors or specialized engineers, etc. I remember one provincial nominee was a plant geneticist for corn - there were none in Canada. You get the idea, I think. Here is the link to the Provincial Nominees information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/index.asp

For skilled workers sponsorship Canada employs a points system. You need to make a minimum of 67 points in order to qualify to have an interview for immigration. Here is a link to a self-assessment test so you can see how close you come to the qualifications: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ski...ply-factors.asp

Quite honestly, your best bet is through family sponsorship with your girlfriend. Here is a link to the specific requirements: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Although they do allow for common-law and conjugal relationship sponsorship. It is just difficult to provide the necessary evidence. As Len suggests, it is much more straight-forward if you are married.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Timeline
Although they do allow for common-law and conjugal relationship sponsorship. It is just difficult to provide the necessary evidence. As Len suggests, it is much more straight-forward if you are married.

Ture. Common law counts after 1 year of continuous cohabitation - so this would be impossible without residing in Canada already.

Timeline

Ture. Common law counts after 1 year of continuous cohabitation - so this would be impossible without residing in Canada already.

Right. While applying as a conjugal partner is also possible, again they require significant evidence of circumtances above and beyond the applicants' control. An immigration barrier doesn't count unless you are not able to get married due to immigration problems.

"Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

• you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)
You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household together. This can be in the form of:

• joint bank accounts or credit cards
  • joint ownership of a home
  • joint residential leases
  • joint rental receipts
  • joint utilities (electricity, gas, telephone)
  • joint management of household expenses
  • proof of joint purchases, especially for household items or
  • mail addressed

Conjugal partner

This category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses by living together.

A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It means you depend on each other, there is some permanence to the relationship and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law relationship.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:

• you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
    • an immigration barrier
    • your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or
    • your sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship and same-sex marriage is not permitted where you live)
  • you can provide evidence there was a reason you could not live together (for example, you were refused long-term stays in each other’s country).
You should not apply as a conjugal partner if:

• You could have lived together but chose not to. This shows that you did not have the level of commitment required for a conjugal relationship. (For example, one of you may not have wanted to give up a job or a course of study, or your relationship was not yet at the point where you were ready to live together.)
  • You cannot provide evidence there was a reason that kept you from living together.
  • You are engaged to be married. In this case, you should either apply as a spouse once the marriage has taken place or apply as a common-law partner if you have lived together continuously for at least 12 months."
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=93&t=222125&qpid=3389638

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.