DanD

K2 3 or 5 years wait time?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My wife (K1) and here daughter just received approval for Green Cards. So 3 years from now my wife can apply for US Citizenship. I read where young children can becme a US citizen the same time as there mother in 3 years and I also read where it mentioned a 5 year requirement.. so now I am confused and didnt know where to find out the information? Anyone have any experiences?

Dan

Timeline

Dec 10 2004 - I-129F FedEx next day to NSC

Dec 13th NOA1 on same day received by NSC

Dec 18th 2004 - Received NOA1 in mail

Feb 8th - RFE via e mail

Feb 15th 2005 - RFE letter received - asked for certified copies of divorce papers, and passport photo of myself

Feb 15th - FedEx overnight documents and photo

Feb 16th - RFE delivered at around 11:00am

Feb 16th - Received e mail from NSC - they received RFE

Feb 28 2005 - NOA2....after days

March 5th 2005 - Received NOA2 in mail...

March 16th 2005 - NVC e mailed a case number...

April 1st 2005 – Juerez Received from NVC...

April 21st 2005 Received Packet 3, dated April 15,2005

May 15/2005 traveling to Juarez, Planning 5/16 exams & 5/17 interview

5/17//2005 K1, K2 Approved!!!

10/29/2005 Moved to the USA

11/03/2005 Married!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Dan,

Your wife can apply for citizenship, 90 days prior to being an LPR for three years, because she is married to a US citizen.

Your K-2 stepchild, if they are under 18, will DERIVE citizenship and need do nothing to become a citizen. To apply for a copy of the child's naturalization certificate you only need to file an N-600. They (both wife and child) can get US passports by sending the K-1's citizenship certificate with the passport application.

The five year wait is for those that enter of other types of visa i.e. don't gain citizenship via marriage.

Hope this helps.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Timeline

Dan,

See 'A Guide To Naturalization' on the USCIS web site.

Yodrak

My wife (K1) and here daughter just received approval for Green Cards. So 3 years from now my wife can apply for US Citizenship. I read where young children can becme a US citizen the same time as there mother in 3 years and I also read where it mentioned a 5 year requirement.. so now I am confused and didnt know where to find out the information? Anyone have any experiences?

Dan

Girona,

Provided that she meets several tests in addition to the two criteria that you mention here.

Yodrak

Dan,

Your wife can apply for citizenship, 90 days prior to being an LPR for three years, because she is married to a US citizen.

Timeline
Dan,

See 'A Guide To Naturalization' on the USCIS web site.

Yodrak

Dan

Girona,

Provided that she meets several tests in addition to the two criteria that you mention here.

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

What tests are you talking about? The civics test and the language test?

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

Timeline

Yodrak,

Read it - can't see any other tests. What are you talking about?

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

Timeline

I also "searched" the word TEST. The Guide only refers to the English test and the Civics test.

Just curious as to what other "tests" you mean.

Yodrak,

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I also "searched" the word TEST. The Guide only refers to the English test and the Civics test.

Yodrak,

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

I believe what Yodrak is refering to is a time in US test (at least 18 months in the US) and a residency test (live at least 90 days in your state of residence)...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Yodrak,

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

I believe what Yodrak is refering to is a time in US test (at least 18 months in the US) and a residency test (live at least 90 days in your state of residence)...

Neither of the above are "tests" they are "criteria" you have to meet.

If that is what Yodrak is trying to say then he should clarify this.

People are often thrown into confusion and become unduly worried when other people refer to further "tests" when there are none.

Timeline

Would like you to confirm that you are not talking about any other "tests" we have missed, Yodrak.

Thanks.

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

Girona,

No. Read the Guide.

Yodrak

Girona,

Yodrak

Dan,

Yodrak,

Yodrak I read the guide, what other tests? I only see the 2 that Girona40 spoke of.

Please clarify

You add a comment to this thread, saying there are several test other then the 2 mentioned earlier in this thread (language and United States Government and History Knowledge tests), ask us to read the guide, but as pointed out there only seems to be the 2 "tests", you then become awfully silent.

“Girona,

Yodrak”

If you consider being “eligible” (as in meeting certain requirements) under the general naturalization requirements before you can file the application a “test”, please state this. All you are doing is confusing people with your statements.

Definition Section:

1. re•quire•ment; Something that is required; a necessity. Something obligatory; a prerequisite.

2. test; A series of questions, problems, or physical responses designed to determine knowledge, intelligence, or ability.

So which is it, 2 tests or are there more, or are speaking of requirements that have to met in order to qualify, plus the 2 tests?

They (both wife and child) can get US passports by sending the K-1's citizenship certificate with the passport application.

Have looked into this since wife naturalized in May and the N-600 is pending. Wife needs to submit her naturalization certificate. The child needs to send wife's naturalization certificate and child's I-551 card, so you can't do both at the same time. Plus I REALLY REALLY don't like having to put those documents in the mail, but that's the only way you can apply unless you need the passports to travel right away, then you can schedule an appointment to apply at a passport office.

Girona,

Zyggy is correct, I was referring primarily to the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence tests, and there is another similar to these as well - Time in State or District. There are also caveats attached to the marriage to a USC that should not be overlooked. And being of good moral character.

Agreed, you could call these things 'criteria' or 'requirements' rather than 'tests', just as you could call knowledge of English and civics 'requirements' rather than 'tests', the 'test' being the method of determining whether or not one meets the 'criteria' or 'requirement'.

Anyway, all of these things are listed in the table of requirements on pages 22-25 of the Guide to Naturalization. It's not as simple as "Your wife can apply for citizenship, 90 days prior to being an LPR for three years, because she is married to a US citizen."

Yodrak

People are often thrown into confusion and become unduly worried when other people refer to further "tests" when there are none.

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Okay, that's all I wanted you to clarify. You are talking of requirements and not "tests".

You would call the knowledge of English and Civics a test though. The USCIS refer to it as a "test" when you receive your N-652. It clearly states on mine "You passed the tests of English and US history and government".

Hopefully, people will not be concerned that they are to be "tested" further by the USCIS - the process is stressful enough.

The statement I made regarding the 90 days etc., is relatively simple and is also correct. I was merely stating WHEN she can apply, not the criteria or requirements for such an application. If you are married to a USC you can APPLY for citizenship 90 days prior to being an LPR for three years.

Girona,

Zyggy is correct, I was referring primarily to the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence tests, and there is another similar to these as well - Time in State or District. There are also caveats attached to the marriage to a USC that should not be overlooked. And being of good moral character.

Agreed, you could call these things 'criteria' or 'requirements' rather than 'tests', just as you could call knowledge of English and civics 'requirements' rather than 'tests', the 'test' being the method of determining whether or not one meets the 'criteria' or 'requirement'.

Anyway, all of these things are listed in the table of requirements on pages 22-25 of the Guide to Naturalization. It's not as simple as "Your wife can apply for citizenship, 90 days prior to being an LPR for three years, because she is married to a US citizen."

Yodrak

Girona,

Of course one can apply - one can apply at any time they like, including before 90 days prior to being an LPR for 3 years.

But unless they meet all of the requirements they're going to get rejected - even if they are married to a USC and have been an LPR for three years.

Yodrak

The statement I made regarding the 90 days etc., is relatively simple and is also correct. I was merely stating WHEN she can apply, not the criteria or requirements for such an application. If you are married to a USC you can APPLY for citizenship 90 days prior to being an LPR for three years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.