Brunette

Exporting my car to the states

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all,

You may remember I begain this thread back at the old posts. Well I'm back again. It appears the policy changed at Acura Fiance and they are now telling me that I would have to pay the balance of the car within 30 days of moving to the states. When I called them a few months ago about this, I was told I could continue to make payments that continue to be withdrawn from a Canadian Bank account. Okay, now I owe $15,000 more on it. I can pay it off with the money I have saved up to pay for my Master's at UW this fall, but I really don't want to.

What would happen if I brought my car down to the states anyways? I'll still make payments on it through my Canadian Bank account. Any thoughts?

Timeline

Same with Nissan Canada!! Thats why I sold my car!! I did not want the hassle of transferring money and at the time we did not require 2 cars. Im not sure if you would have problems registering it or getting insurance for it. Guess you could call an insurance company like Geico and email/call the state DMV for info. best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I would recommend not doing anything that would be considered illegal.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why don't you call their parent company here in the US? They may have some suggestions for you, like transferring the loan to the US company?

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Timeline

I asked Nissan Canada if they could transfer it to their American counterpart, they said nope!! . Does not hurt to ask though. Even if Acura Canada says no, call up Acura finance in the USA.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I asked Nissan Canada if they could transfer it to their American counterpart, they said nope!! . Does not hurt to ask though. Even if Acura Canada says no, call up Acura finance in the USA.

You could get a car loan in the US and use the money for that to pay off your loan in Canada... Just an idea...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Brunette. Why did they say you can't keep your Canadian bank account that you will continue to fund from your US bank that you setup here and for them to continue to draft their payments from the CAN acct?

Oct. 22, 2005 >> Mailed I-129F to TSC

Nov. 4, 2005 >> I-129F forwarded from TSC to CSC

Nov. 10, 2005 >> NOA1 Received from Laguna Niguel, CA Office

Feb. 2, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received via Email

Feb. 6, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received (Paper Copy) USPS

Feb. 13, 2006 >> File arrived at NVC

Feb. 14, 2006 >> Faxed NVC to request change of Embassy for my fiancee as she moved from the Philippines to Canada Jan 20 2006

Feb. 15, 2006 >> NVC had me fax a 2nd request for Req of Change of Embassy.

Feb. 16, 2006 >> Called to ck on 2nd fax request, too late, file sent to US Embassy in Manila.

Feb. 21, 2006 >> Called US Embassy in Manila to ask for Req for change of Embassy to Vancouver. The representative said it shows the request already made. (Evidently from the NVC or Vancouver)

April 3, 2006 >> Received call from Vancouver US Consulate informing me that my fiancee needed to fax them a copy of her Canadian work permit, our case #, current address and phone #. Fiancee faxed requested documents that same day.

April 20, 2006 >> Packet 3 rec'd from Vancouver US Consulate.

April 24, 2006 >> Fiance' faxed DS-230 to Vancouver US Consulate

April 24, 2006 >> I scheduled medical examination for my fiance' for May 1, 2006 $220 Canadian.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Brunette. Why did they say you can't keep your Canadian bank account that you will continue to fund from your US bank that you setup here and for them to continue to draft their payments from the CAN acct?

It's not a matter of whether they will get the money or not... it's a matter of what they can do if you don't pay. Esentially if you take it out of the country, they won't be able to enforce their promissory note against you if you don't pay be repossessing the car.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's not a matter of whether they will get the money or not... it's a matter of what they can do if you don't pay. Esentially if you take it out of the country, they won't be able to enforce their promissory note against you if you don't pay be repossessing the car.

Ahhh yes. In that case your best options are sell it and buy a car in the US or refinance with a US bank\institution and pay off the loan in CAN.

Oct. 22, 2005 >> Mailed I-129F to TSC

Nov. 4, 2005 >> I-129F forwarded from TSC to CSC

Nov. 10, 2005 >> NOA1 Received from Laguna Niguel, CA Office

Feb. 2, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received via Email

Feb. 6, 2006 >> NOA2 Approval Received (Paper Copy) USPS

Feb. 13, 2006 >> File arrived at NVC

Feb. 14, 2006 >> Faxed NVC to request change of Embassy for my fiancee as she moved from the Philippines to Canada Jan 20 2006

Feb. 15, 2006 >> NVC had me fax a 2nd request for Req of Change of Embassy.

Feb. 16, 2006 >> Called to ck on 2nd fax request, too late, file sent to US Embassy in Manila.

Feb. 21, 2006 >> Called US Embassy in Manila to ask for Req for change of Embassy to Vancouver. The representative said it shows the request already made. (Evidently from the NVC or Vancouver)

April 3, 2006 >> Received call from Vancouver US Consulate informing me that my fiancee needed to fax them a copy of her Canadian work permit, our case #, current address and phone #. Fiancee faxed requested documents that same day.

April 20, 2006 >> Packet 3 rec'd from Vancouver US Consulate.

April 24, 2006 >> Fiance' faxed DS-230 to Vancouver US Consulate

April 24, 2006 >> I scheduled medical examination for my fiance' for May 1, 2006 $220 Canadian.

Filed: Timeline

Brunette,

How much will it cost you to export your Acura from BC to WA?

I live in Vancouver and will be moving to Seattle in a few months, just wondering what kind of fees/charges you have to pay when you register your car in WA, both DMV and insurance.

I’ve got the Honda Civic 97, with low km and it may not be worth paying too much money to register it in USA,

I may be better off selling it and buying a new vehicle in USA.

Do you have to pay tax on it?

Any other fee?

Thanks,

Vox

Brunette,

I live in Vancouver and will be moving to Seattle in a few months, just wondering what kind of fees/charges you have to pay when you register your car in WA, both DMV and insurance.

I’ve got the Honda Civic 97, with low km and it may not be worth paying too much money to register it in USA,

Any other fee?

Thanks,

Vox

omg...my head is starting to hurt w/ all this stuff we have to think about! a quick google and i found this site http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/enter...tingyourcar.htm . says there that nonresidents are duty exempt if it's arriving for personal use. not sure if that applies to us or not. but if not, it says 2.5% for cars. still poking around some and i'm going to call a few folks that have gone thru this before to see what they experienced.

k

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Brunette,

Any other fee?

Thanks,

Vox

omg...my head is starting to hurt w/ all this stuff we have to think about! a quick google and i found this site http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/enter...tingyourcar.htm . says there that nonresidents are duty exempt if it's arriving for personal use. not sure if that applies to us or not. but if not, it says 2.5% for cars. still poking around some and i'm going to call a few folks that have gone thru this before to see what they experienced.

k

This is the thread that originated in the old forums: http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=72919

My information on moving my vehicle from BC to WA is in there. I owned my car outright, so the financing aspects didn't apply to me; however, there are other comments on the 'old' thread about that.

As for the fees you pay to change title/licensing: http://www.dol.wa.gov/

Mine cost approximately $80 to change over. The individual costs are broken down on the site above.

There were no fees for customs forms and as my vehicle is for personal use (not a corporate car or part of self-employment) I was not charged duty.

edit: Re insurance...that is as diverse as there are companies out there for it. I'm on a joint plan with my Hubby. All I can say is that if you have a good driving record in BC, ICBC can give you a hardcopy record of that, or will supply it to your insurance agent here to help them assess your record.

Also know that at this time to change over your driver's license you will need to test both written and practical.

I believe both of those things are address on the old forum post as well. :)

Edited by ceriserose

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline

Patos, I financed with Honda Acura Canada Fiance. They told me that I must pay the loan off after 30 days of exporting my car into the states. They said "it's policy".

Hey all, I've been meaning to post more to this thread. I'm in the process of research and figuring out if I will pay the loan off or sell the car.

Edited by Brunette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.