AnhSau

First Blue Slip at HCM - Vote of members

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A vote from the board members.

The question put before the members is.... Hire Mark Ellis, Immigration Lawyer or wait?

I found the writings very informative at his website http://www.marcellislaw.com/.

Almost to the point of saying awe ####...

My Wife went to her interview March 2nd, 2009, at HCM. Returned with a pretty blue letter requesting more info (Referencing 221 (g) ). Naturally she was upset. She is taking it like a trooper for now. She informed me that "Ms. Nguyen Thi Rottweiler " was polite with her.

We compiled a 2 pound package of evidence, for her to return to Saigon with, Phone bills, emails, etc. I insured we met every request pointed out in the instructions, plus added more content than what was asked for. Beneficiary info, health care enrollment, bank and finance info. Chronological report in affidavit form. I DHL'ed the documents to her on this past Friday.

Here is the awe #### part...

Once the additional info is submitted to the HCM Consulate, are they just going to issue a generic white paper refusal out of spit? Then send the file back to USCIS for refusal?

To my ignorance, I learned my Wife and about 100 other applicants were refused that morning. Even though USCIS and DOS issued approvals. I had no idea it was a cattle call situation.

As I am her agent and also the petitioner in the case. I prepared all of the filings and mailings. Now, unpublished rules and procedures are being conjured up that certainly no reasonable person would have prior knowledge that they even existed.

Would a lawyer even be of any benefit? Our case is simple and generic. No fraud or deceit.

I was considering retaining his legal services, however I may be untimely.

What say you? Money is not an issue.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from someone on this board that they almost always hand out a blue slip the 1st time around and that you should even expect it. That person also told me that since they always ask for a timeline (even if you have it in your evidence already and then they ask for it anyways) you should wait until they issue out the blue slip and make a timeline base on how your wife answered the 1st time at the interview and submit other documents they ask for. As far as hiring an attorney for your case I don't know what to recommend. I used an immigration attorney from the very start and they only thing I will complain about is that he takes a little longer to submit the paperwork in and thats all. I feel comfortable using him for my case but lots of other people say you don't need one if it's open and shut case. If it was me in your situation, I guess I would proceed to go on with the second interview and see what they say the second time around.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We hired Marc from the beginning. We met with him the weekend before my first trip ended. Marc knows the law, and understands the culture wthin the embassy. Marc and his team had my wife totally prepared for her interview.

OUR SITUATION:

1 trip to Vietnam ( 6 weeks)

she doesn't speak very good english

engagement ceremony after 5 days in vietnam (but we chatted for about 1 1/2 years

found out she as pregnant beforemy 1st trip ended

2nd trip to vietnam was in May of the same year for her interview (That's right, sent application for K1 Jan 23'rd 2008, approved mid-march, interviewed May 30th (fiance is now 5 months pregnant), 1st interview approved (PINK SLIP)

Now, everyones situation is different, and there are many people who have an opinion or think they know everything about immigration (you will see them handing out flyers outside the embassy). Hiring Marc is not a guarantee your fiance will pass, but he will tell you honestly what the red flags are, and will help you and you fiance prepare for the whole process.

Filed Removal of Conditions: 11/05/10

Rec'd NOA1: 11/08/10

Biometrics: 12/22/10

10 YR Greencard: 03/03/11 APPROVED

10 YR Greencard Rec'd: 03/08/11 RECEIVED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'd at least talk to the man. I think he'd probably charge you some amount for a consultation, but then at least you could make a more informed decision about whether to hire him or not. Couldn't hurt.

The question put before the members is.... Hire Mark Ellis, Immigration Lawyer or wait?

I found the writings very informative at his website http://www.marcellislaw.com/.

My Wife went to her interview March 2nd, 2009, at HCM. Returned with a pretty blue letter requesting more info (Referencing 221 (g) ). Naturally she was upset. She is taking it like a trooper for now. She informed me that "Ms. Nguyen Thi Rottweiler " was polite with her.

We compiled a 2 pound package of evidence, for her to return to Saigon with, Phone bills, emails, etc. I insured we met every request pointed out in the instructions, plus added more content than what was asked for. Beneficiary info, health care enrollment, bank and finance info. Chronological report in affidavit form. I DHL'ed the documents to her on this past Friday.

Once the additional info is submitted to the HCM Consulate, are they just going to issue a generic white paper refusal out of spit? Then send the file back to USCIS for refusal?

To my ignorance, I learned my Wife and about 100 other applicants were refused that morning. Even though USCIS and DOS issued approvals. I had no idea it was a cattle call situation.

As I am her agent and also the petitioner in the case. I prepared all of the filings and mailings. Now, unpublished rules and procedures are being conjured up that certainly no reasonable person would have prior knowledge that they even existed.

Would a lawyer even be of any benefit? Our case is simple and generic. No fraud or deceit.

Then why didn't you spend it ($$$) for an immigration attorney in the first place? Don't you think it'd be a whole lot wiser to do it that way, instead of now when you've encountered the first failure of the process? Please don't tell me you STILL have NOT learnt from your past mistake........................................

Ok Ok, you want a stranger spelling it out loud for you............A YES to your question. Let's hope it's not too late, yet!

By the way, your remark "our case is simple and generic" is not even close to accurate. Obviously if that's true, you wouldn't join in this forum today, AFTER you and your S/O have failed the process right?

Just curious...if you compiled a 2-lb package of evidence for her to take this time, how much did she have the first time. Would be helpful to know more details of the interview and the blue slip for those of us who are still awaiting interview. Thanks.

To answer your question about the white slip, it depends on what the reason was for the blue slip and whether you complied with their request. I would agree with others that it is at least worth talking to ME if money is not an issue.

And if you could fill in your timeline, it would be greatly appreciated.

Timeline

Just curious...if you compiled a 2-lb package of evidence for her to take this time, how much did she have the first time. Would be helpful to know more details of the interview and the blue slip for those of us who are still awaiting interview. Thanks.

To answer your question about the white slip, it depends on what the reason was for the blue slip and whether you complied with their request. I would agree with others that it is at least worth talking to ME if money is not an issue.

And if you could fill in your timeline, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, what exactly did the blue slip say? What did you submit the first time? That info will help us offer comments. And yes, please fill in the timeline.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

It seems that if you were here from way before the interview that you would have known that all this stuff would be needed. It is known that at the interview at any embassy that one needs to show proof of an ongoing relationship and even bank info and the stuff you are sending now AFTER the interview.

It would help if you can say how the interview went and if the wife was able to have a good interview or not. If she did then sending the requested info may be enough to get a pink the next time or a blue saying to wait till the info now is digested. If she did poorly at the interview then sending the info may not be enough and you better get Marc Ellis as soon as possible. Now a lawyer is never needed from the beginning if one does what is needed and has confidence in their abilities. I for one am very confident and know that my abilities are good enough to do the visa myself. Most haven't the confidence to try to do anything without help and should have a lawyer hold their hand all the way but it by no means assures a visa.

Edited by luckytxn

Timeline

Thank you for your input board members.

As with any bureaucratic journey, their is always headwinds to overcome. I have been in contact with M.E. and we have concurred that the blue form was issued due to my misunderstanding of the procedures. Now we are allowed to overcome my shortcoming by submitting the additional requested information.

However, He did specify if complications arise once the added documents have been submitted. I will be in need of his services to insure the matter remains at HCM and not reverted back to USCIS.

M.E. has an associate in HCM known as Mr. Nam. Telephone 0903-74-1110. If complications are present we are to schedule an appointment with him to nip the problem.

In closing M.E. stated... This is a pretty normal request.

Edited by AnhSau

Timeline

Yes, what exactly did the blue slip say? What did you submit the first time? That info will help us offer comments. And yes, please fill in the timeline.

For the board members review... I am uploading the blue form as it was scanned by my wife and forwarded to me. I have blotted out the personal information for the purpose of privacy.

Also note... The resolution was intentionally enlarged due to the fine content of the writing. Excuse the large file size.

This possibly will benefit applicants with pending interview dates.

post-63235-1236579310_thumb.jpg

For the board members review... I am uploading the blue form as it was scanned by my wife and forwarded to me. I have blotted out the personal information for the purpose of privacy.

Also note... The resolution was intentionally enlarged due to the fine content of the writing. Excuse the large file size.

This possibly will benefit applicants with pending interview dates.

Yes, these are all common and well known requests from HCM. Other than the evidence, which is specified in Packet 4, you either need a lawyer or VJ to educate you on the consulate specifics. Sounds like you now have been briefed by both so you know what you need to do. With the volume of data that they have requested, however, you might find that they need to review it for awhile. If so, you will be notified that you are in AP. Wait times vary by case.

How many times have you visited her over the last year? This is another critical item that gets scrutinized heavily. You probably have been many times but, if not, you might consider going to VN now and submitting that proof as more evidence of your relationship.

Good luck.

It seems that if you were here from way before the interview that you would have known that all this stuff would be needed. It is known that at the interview at any embassy that one needs to show proof of an ongoing relationship and even bank info and the stuff you are sending now AFTER the interview.

It would help if you can say how the interview went and if the wife was able to have a good interview or not. If she did then sending the requested info may be enough to get a pink the next time or a blue saying to wait till the info now is digested. If she did poorly at the interview then sending the info may not be enough and you better get Marc Ellis as soon as possible. Now a lawyer is never needed from the beginning if one does what is needed and has confidence in their abilities. I for one am very confident and know that my abilities are good enough to do the visa myself. Most haven't the confidence to try to do anything without help and should have a lawyer hold their hand all the way but it by no means assures a visa.

Anhsau, if you can comment on your wife's interview (good/bad, did she do it in English, etc), that would also be helpful, as luckytxn noted. Thanks

Timeline

My wife received a blue slip at her first interview. (Strictly speaking, I can't remember what color the paper was, but it was a request for more information.)

We had to provide a timeline and a letter from her aunt who introduced us. I also got statements from mutual friends who know me and her aunt and stated that we had known each other for many years. There was some additional information, but I can't remember it at the moment. We pretty much supplied everything they asked for. At the second interview, we got the approval for the visa.

Each set of circumstances is so specific, though, that I would hesititate to endorse people from not consulting an attorney because it might do them good. I'm glad to hear that you spoke with Mark Ellis because he would learn more about your case and advise you better.

Best of luck!

Timeline

Your blue sheet looks almost identical to the first one we got at Xuan's interview. We had Marc Ellis before the interview and we have gotten the first Blue sheet and then a Green once we submitted all of the evidence they requested. We have been waiting since Oct 15 for the "review process". Mr. Nam was very nice to Xuan and helped us with some minor issues then was a nice help for the interview prep. So far since we have been waiting there has been nothing the lawyers can do for us. That is what we are told. I will be happy to go into further detail, if you wish to know just send me a message.

Good luck from what I have seen you can either get pink, have to wait like us, or flat out denied when you turn in the evidence. I think it is a ####### shoot either way.

Jack & Xuan

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F NOA1 : 3/10/08

I-129F NOA2 : 7/17/08

NVC Left : 7/25/08

Consulate Received : 8/4/08

Packet 3 Received : 8/8/08

Packet 4 Received : 9/12/08

Interview Date : 10/7/08

Received Green Sheet: 10/7/08

Turned in requested doc's for Green Sheet: 10/15/08

Got blue slip that says to wait for decision: 10/15/08

Still Waiting on a decision 11/22/08

Stilllll Waiting on a decision 2/2/09

Got a call with questions from the embassy3/9/09

Request sent to State Dept. to remove ineligibility status: 4/19/09

Approval letter recieved: 4/25/09

Pink Sheet: 4/27/09

Visa Received : 5/19/09

US Entry : 5/21/09

Marriage : 5/27/09

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Your blue sheet looks almost identical to the first one we got at Xuan's interview. We had Marc Ellis before the interview and we have gotten the first Blue sheet and then a Green once we submitted all of the evidence they requested. We have been waiting since Oct 15 for the "review process". Mr. Nam was very nice to Xuan and helped us with some minor issues then was a nice help for the interview prep. So far since we have been waiting there has been nothing the lawyers can do for us. That is what we are told. I will be happy to go into further detail, if you wish to know just send me a message.

Good luck from what I have seen you can either get pink, have to wait like us, or flat out denied when you turn in the evidence. I think it is a ####### shoot either way.

How often do you call or e-mail the consulate? Are they friendly when you ask for a status update? Just curious about how you are dealing with the wait.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.