JackInTheBox

Tough Situation...Need Advice

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This forum was highly recommended to me and I hope someone on here can help.

My finacee is from the Philippines and has a mother that was born as a US citizen. We filed for a K-1 because her mother did not live in the USA long enough for my fiancee to claim the right to US Citizenship. The problem is is that we have no idea how to prove this. I have read that someone with a right to US Citizenship cannot file for a K-1. She does not talk to her mom because her parents split up but her mom lives in another part of the Philippines far away. HEr mother and her have nothing to do with each other.

We noticed on the DS230 it asks whether the mom or dad is a US citizen. Should we "accidentally" put no and hope it slips through? If it is noticed we could say it was a mistake? I can't believe that having a US citizen as a parent would be a punishment. Any advice on what to do. We are worried that she may be denied because of her mom. We have no idea even how to try to prove she has a claim to US citizenship or how to prove she doesn't. All we want to to start our lives together and not be seperated longer because of government BS.

Please help.

Edited by JackInTheBox

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My finacee is from the Philippines and has a mother that was born as a US citizen. We filed for a K-1 because her mother did not live in the USA long enough for my fiancee to claim the right to US Citizenship. The problem is is that we have no idea how to prove this. I have read that someone with a right to US Citizenship cannot file for a K-1. She does not talk to her mom because her parents split up but her mom lives in another part of the Philippines far away. HEr mother and her have nothing to do with each other.

We noticed on the DS230 it asks whether the mom or dad is a US citizen. Should we "accidentally" put no and hope it slips through? If it is noticed we could say it was a mistake? I can't believe that having a US citizen as a parent would be a punishment. Any advice on what to do. We are worried that she may be denied because of her mom. We have no idea even how to try to prove she has a claim to US citizenship or how to prove she doesn't. All we want to to start our lives together and not be seperated longer because of government BS.

Please help.

If the person has a claim to citizenship, it will preclude the issuance of a visa but could result in the issuance of a US passport... that to me would not be punishment but a better result.

YMMV

Please help.

If the person has a claim to citizenship, it will preclude the issuance of a visa but could result in the issuance of a US passport... that to me would not be punishment but a better result.

How? We applied for the K-1 Visa. They may deny us and then our other option is to prove that she has a claim....which she doesn't. That could take forever and in the end fail too. We don't even know how to go about proving that she has a claim. She could be denied on both counts. The better result is whatever gets us together sooner. We are waiting through this whole K-1 process and don't want to turn around and start another.

You want some good advice? DON"T lie on a visa application that can have even greater problems than the one you listed. A life time ban would be a terrible result and thinking that you can just say it was a mistake if questioned. That is not being realistic. Do your self and your girl a favor and do it the right way.

If her mother was born a US citizen then what does the length of time her mother spent in the US have anything to do with it? She is the child of a USC. Maybe i am missing something, can you explain what her length of stay has to do with her being a natural born USC?

Edited by MMW

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

Has she ever tried to apply for a US passport at the Embassy in Manila? She will need her Birth certificate and her mothers SS number if she had one which if she was a US citizen she should have. I would suggest she try that route first before making incorrect claims on the visa application. You may have a simple answer to your problem by doing that.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

Please help.

Hi there… this is just an opinion. If your fiancé doesn’t need parental consent (she’s old enough to get married) embassy will not be too concern on this matter. Her mom is also a Philippine citizen by blood even though she was born as a US citizen bottom line is it’s her mom and if she can make amend and patch things up with her it will be for the better. After all, it’s her mom you cannot say ‘she has nothing to do with her’. If you really want to make sure everything's ok, best thing to do is cosult a lawyer.Goodluck :thumbs:

You want some good advice? DON"T lie on a visa application that can have even greater problems than the one you listed. A life time ban would be a terrible result and thinking that you can just say it was a mistake if questioned. That is not being realistic. Do your self and your girl a favor and do it the right way.

If her mother was born a US citizen then what does the length of time her mother spent in the US have anything to do with it? She is the child of a USC. Maybe i am missing something, can you explain what her length of stay has to do with her being a natural born USC?

Her mom would have had to live in the US for 2 years after she was 14. Her mom didn't. So potentially we could be blocked either route.

Has she ever tried to apply for a US passport at the Embassy in Manila? She will need her Birth certificate and her mothers SS number if she had one which if she was a US citizen she should have. I would suggest she try that route first before making incorrect claims on the visa application. You may have a simple answer to your problem by doing that.

We don't want to give up the K1 if this fails. Can we do both?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Her mom would have had to live in the US for 2 years after she was 14. Her mom didn't. So potentially we could be blocked either route.

We don't want to give up the K1 if this fails. Can we do both?

Well it looks like you answered your own question. Obviously just having one parent who is a U.S. citizen does not automatically make you eligible for citizenship. I would answer the questions on the petition honestly, but include an attachment that explains the reason your fiance is not eligible for U.S. citizenship.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

i'm not sure what episode of citizen pinoy it was or when it was aired but i heard atty michael gurfinkel say that if the mom is a US citizen and wasn't able to pass that citizenship to the daughter because of not fulfilling the years the mom lives in the US, the daughter can obtain citizenship by way of the grandparents.... i'm not really sure how it's done or what's the requirement but it certainly is worth exploring into.... i suggest a consultation with a good immigration lawyer.... your fiance may be a US citizen and she might not need to apply a visa anymore....

a good example of someone obtaining US citizenship through a grandparent is Christopher de Leon's son...

Edited by angel_eyes1976

i'm not sure what episode of citizen pinoy it was or when it was aired but i heard atty michael gurfinkel say that if the mom is a US citizen and wasn't able to pass that citizenship to the daughter because of not fulfilling the years the mom lives in the US, the daughter can obtain citizenship by way of the grandparents.... i'm not really sure how it's done or what's the requirement but it certainly is worth exploring into.... i suggest a consultation with a good immigration lawyer.... your fiance may be a US citizen and she might not need to apply a visa anymore....

a good example of someone obtaining US citizenship through a grandparent is Christopher de Leon's son...

Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer that won't rip me off and will do a good job?

We want what ever comes first...K1 or US Citizenship. If proving her citizenship takes a long time then we don't want to go that route. We talked about it and just want to be together as fast as possible. You guys have been great!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.